snorkeling

eliterror

Good morning. We will be cruising this December and St. Maarten is one of our stops. Would Dawn Beach be a good beach for snorkeling? Or which beach would you suggest? Also looking to avoid the traffic for the afternoon taxi back to the ship. Are there restrooms at this beach, and may we rent chairs?

• 2 weeks later...

We would also like recommendations for snorkeling in St Maarten.

Dawn Beach or Little Bay.

Which is a. best snorkeling, b. Easiest to get to from the port, c. Best facilities.

Hope someone can help.

Sue

Divi Little Bay is easier to get to - but either Divi Little Bay or Dawn is pretty easy to get to by taxi. Both have facilities available.

It very much depends on weather and sea conditions, but I think that Divi Little bay is a better bet for snorkeling without knowing specific conditions on specific day. Dawn used to be very good but the building of the Westin did great damage to the reef there. If sea conditions are bad at one, they probably are good at other - but it can be hard for you to know just coming off a ship.

If you are OK with open water swimming and do not mind a bit of a swim (about one-third mile one way from beach to island), then I think the best practical off beach snorkeling is at Orient Bay - swim out to Green Cay (Isle Verde) from the Club O beach - then snorkel north up the west side of island. Or, get a guy to take you over on a jet ski from the beach - charge would be $10 to $15 RT. Just my opinion, Orient is the most beautiful and the most worth seeing of any of beaches that it would make sense to get a taxi to.

Le Galion beach does not have much to see snorkeling. It is shallow for quite a way out. It is a very pretty setting. Considered good for kids. Can vary a great deal in terms of number of people there - as can Orient.

Edited by SnorkelAway

Thanks for letting me know. Then I guess we won't go to Le Galion, I youtubed it and it didn't seem nice at all to me, no snorkeling and who knows whether our toddler would be even interested in water.... So I guess no worth the visit. Maybe I should forget about snorkeling in St.Maarten at all?? I will be in St.THomas and planning on visiting Sapphire Beach for snorkeling. Was hoping some snorkeling in St.Maarten but if it's mediocre then I don't want to sacrifice it with nice beach. I have been to Maho already, I guess the next nice one is Orient but there will be 5 ships in port and it will be packed like a sardines, I hate that... Not sure what to do. What would you recommend Little Bay or Orient Beach?

If you are at Galion without a crowd, I think it is a prettier beach than at Divi Little Bay, but we go to Divi whenever in St Martin and rarely go to Galion - except maybe to walk over from Orient for something to do.

Best immediately off beach in St Thomas is Coki beach in my opinion - I personally do not think off beach snorkeling is all that much better in St. Thomas than St Martin - but I consider swimming over to Green Cay off Orient or swimming a few hundred yards off Divi Little Bay Beach (to left as you look at water - out to Tiki Hut area) off beach. Depending on how old your "toddler" is, you all might enjoy going to Coral World in St Thomas and you can do some snorkeling off Coki - you would have lockers and showers available at Coral World (not sure of current condition of showers). When our girls were young, they really liked Coral World. Coki can be a zoo but if you are based at Coral World it is easier.

In St. Martin, I would recommend Orient over Divi Little Bay if you have never been to either because I think Orient is the most beautiful beach in St Martin. But if you want to be able to do some snorkeling you should set up next to or on the Club O beach and I do not know if that is an issue for you or not. It that is an issue and you want to be able to try some decent off beach snorkeling, then I would recommend Divi Little Bay.

Snorkelaway! thank you so much for your insightful information. It is greatly appreciated that you take time for explaining me everything. Very much appreciated. For St.Thomas, I heard that it's a zoo in Coki when busy and it will be busy because 5 or 6 ships in port on that day. My toddler is just 20 month old, so I think we would skip coral world at this point, therefore I have decided to go to Sapphire beach because I have heard that snorkeling is good there. Is it the case??

St.Maartin really not sure what to do. AS you said, I never been to Orient so maybe it's worth visiting. I youtubed it, it looks wide and long just the way I like it but those rows of chairs, like 3 - 4 rows, packed with people didn't look appealing to me.... But maybe the beach is large enough not to notice the crowd. I am thinking if I have enough snorkeling at Sapphire maybe I don't need another snorkeling in St.Maartin. Snorkeling out in Orient as you suggested won't work because I am not a good swimmer and even in snorkeling jacket, will have hard time swimming back to the shore. As I said youtubed Little Bay and Le Galion, seems small and nothing pretty about it..... so not really sure what to do. Why do you think Orient is so nice?

Yes - 20 months is too young to enjoy Coral World. Relatively, Sapphire beach is fine for off beach in St Thomas and with the toddler and what you have said, it probably is better for you than Coki.

Orient is 1.3 miles of beach with wonderful sand - the overall setting is beautiful. It does get a LOT of people when there are a lot of ships in port, but you always can find a quiet part of the beach if you want but to have easy access to facilities you sort of have to "sign up" with one of the beach bars. And, with a toddler at 20 months, this may be a time when you can go more comfortably to Orient than in a few years.

I think your choice may be between Orient and Dawn (if you have not been to Dawn before). I have to admit that I have a problem with Dawn because I really do not like the fact that the Westin was built there, destroying aspects of what used to be one of our favorite beaches - when conditions were good there, we often would choose it over Orient. You can get to the reef that is there at Dawn that is pretty close to shore - although conditions often can be rough enough at Dawn that the snorkeling is no good. Dawn probably will be far less crowded than Orient, but you never know for sure.

Thanks for your suggestions and if we do decide to go to Dawn, how far of a taxi ride it is? and will it be traffecy on the way back? I want to make sure that I will set some time for shopping as well so don't want to spend a lot of time trying to get from one spot to another....

Thanks for your suggestions and if we do decide to go to Dawn, how far of a taxi ride it is? and will it be traffecy on the way back? I want to make sure that I will set some time for shopping as well so don't want to spend a lot of time trying to get from one spot to another....

I would do more research before taking a toddler to Dawn Bay beach as I often find it too rough for me to really enjoy.

Have you considered the Butterfly farm and a half day at LeGalion Beach the two places are about 330 yds from each other and make for a great combination for families with young children.

Yea, I am really torn here and cannot make the decision. I youtubed: Le Galion and Secret Harbour and both just do not look nice to me. Kinda small beaches, nothing spectacular about them.... Now I am thinking, maybe I will do all my snorkeling in St.Thomas and will come to Orient in St.Thomas.... I like Orient, it's wide and long but when I see all those crowds of people with 3 rows with chairs it doesn't look appealing at all....I'm kinda stuck and not sure what to do. Maybe I should just stuck to the beach that is closest to the port: Big Bay Beach or whatever it's called?

Yea, I am really torn here and cannot make the decision. I youtubed: Le Galion and Secret Harbour and both just do not look nice to me. Kinda small beaches, nothing spectacular about them.... Now I am thinking, maybe I will do all my snorkeling in St.Thomas and will come to Orient in St.Thomas.... I like Orient, it's wide and long but when I see all those crowds of people with 3 rows with chairs it doesn't look appealing at all....I'm kinda stuck and not sure what to do. Maybe I should just stuck to the beach that is closest to the port: Big Bay Beach or whatever it's called?

You got the two beaches closest to the port mixed up. Little Bay passes the water pollution tests and Great Bay often fails and many people including myself have not swam in it for many, many years as this is an ongoing issue. Since you have a toddler with you I would highly recommend that Little Bay be your choice of these two beaches.

Have you considered renting a car and going to Pinel Island? From what I have read I think that Pinel would offer the best day for what you are looking for.

Edited by Karysa

Yea, i will be visiting St.Maartin for a short period of time, just one day and want to do some diamond shopping as well so I don't think that it will worth time renting a car. Great Beach is out of question, thank you so much for letting me know about it. I youtubed both Le Galion and Little Bay and am not crazy about that. Is Orient a bad beach? I liked it on youtube but oh all those crowds of people. Who have been please let me know, is it really as bad as it looks? Is that beach loud and obnoxious??

Also I am reading that in order to get to Little Bay you need to take a water taxi. So is it water taxi from the cruise dock or regular ground taxi? Again it will be 4 of us plus 1 toddler, looking for faster and more economical way....

There is not a water taxi to Little Bay from Cruise Port - the water taxi at the Cruise Port only goes to Great Bay - at least as far as I know. You just take a (regular ground) taxi to Divi Little Bay. Do not know where you would have read about a water taxi from Cruise port to Little Bay.

There is not a water taxi to Little Bay from Cruise Port - the water taxi at the Cruise Port only goes to Great Bay - at least as far as I know. You just take a (regular ground) taxi to Divi Little Bay. Do not know where you would have read about a water taxi from Cruise port to Little Bay.

Great Bay is the only beach that the water taxi stops at. It stops at Bobby's Marina as well just for clarifications sake, but no the water taxi does not go to Little Bay.

Yea, i will be visiting St.Maartin for a short period of time, just one day and want to do some diamond shopping as well so I don't think that it will worth time renting a car. Great Beach is out of question, thank you so much for letting me know about it. I youtubed both Le Galion and Little Bay and am not crazy about that. Is Orient a bad beach? I liked it on youtube but oh all those crowds of people. Who have been please let me know, is it really as bad as it looks? Is that beach loud and obnoxious??

Orient is a popular beach and there are jet skis and parasailing and vendors on top of the beach goers. Some people love this atmosphere but if that is not what you are looking for choose another beach.

No question in my mind that if I had a 20 mth old with me my beach would be Le Galion and I would also stop at the Butterfly Farm if I had time. I like Le Galion IT has that authentic Caribbean feel to me and the water is shallow and calm so it's perfect for a toddler especially one that is just being introduced to the water.

If the time of year and conditions are right Grand Case Beach would be another beach that I would recommend. It is a very long beach and there are plenty of choices of beach bars but it is in no way crowded. The taxi ride is longer at 45 minutes though.

We were at Divi Little Bay a week ago tomorrow and had a FANTASTIC day there. We have three teenage kids and we all agreed it was the best day of our cruise.

For snorkeling we brought our own masks and snorkel and just rented the fins for $5 each at the Divi watersports shack. The water is exceptionally clear along the rock wall. At first we didnt see many fish, and the water can be a little deep at times, but once you get out to where the snorkel huts are then you start seeing lots of fish and a number of different varieties. We brought a loaf of french bread with us and when we started breaking that off we were surrounded by hundreds of brightly colored fish of all different kinds. We had heard of people seeing octopus and squid there but we did not see that but we saw quite a few kinds of fish.

We loved the beach there as well. We got a taxi from the Cruise Dock to Little bay for $5/person. Chairs and Umbrellas were $5 each and the beach staff was friendly. There was a nice outdoor restaurant where we ate lunch. The kids had fun playing with the macaw that lives there.

The beach itself is beautiful. We couldnt have asked for a better day. I have not visited the other beaches on St. Maarten but they would have to be pretty great to beat Little Bay.

• 1 month later...

The water is exceptionally clear along the rock wall. At first we didnt see many fish, and the water can be a little deep at times, but once you get out to where the snorkel huts are then you start seeing lots of fish and a number of different varieties.

We loved the beach there as well. We got a taxi from the Cruise Dock to Little bay for $5/person. Chairs and Umbrellas were $5 each and the beach staff was friendly. There was a nice outdoor restaurant where we ate lunch. The kids had fun playing with the macaw that lives there.

The beach itself is beautiful. We couldnt have asked for a better day. I have not visited the other beaches on St. Maarten but they would have to be pretty great to beat Little Bay.

Where is this rock wall in relationship to the beach? How deep is it at the rock wall? How far out are these snorkel huts? What are the huts for? I'm confused and trying to picture this. What side of the beach is the snorkeling area?

Do you remember what types of food they had at the restaurant there and maybe pricing?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi mitsu,

The rock wall is to the left when standing on the beach facing the water. The rock wall is maybe 20 feet deep and you have to swim about 10 minutes out from the beach to get to the huts. There is no other way to get there. The huts are a set of floating docks that excursions charge money to take cruisers to. It would have cost us $75/person to do the RC excursion to go snorkeling and we did it for free (well I guess we rented snorkel equipment at the watersports shack). But once you get there talk to the people at the watersports shack, they were super friendly and told us exactly what to do and even gave us some bread to feed the fish which made it way more fun.

The restaurant had hamburgers and sandwiches and pizza and fruity drinks. It was priced like a Fridays or something similar, maybe a tad more expensive than that, but not ridiculous.

Hope you have fun!

Where is this rock wall in relationship to the beach? How deep is it at the rock wall? How far out are these snorkel huts? What are the huts for? I'm confused and trying to picture this. What side of the beach is the snorkeling area?

Do you remember what types of food they had at the restaurant there and maybe pricing?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi mitsu,

The rock wall is to the left when standing on the beach facing the water. The rock wall is maybe 20 feet deep and you have to swim about 10 minutes out from the beach to get to the huts. There is no other way to get there. The huts are a set of floating docks that excursions charge money to take cruisers to. It would have cost us $75/person to do the RC excursion to go snorkeling and we did it for free (well I guess we rented snorkel equipment at the watersports shack). But once you get there talk to the people at the watersports shack, they were super friendly and told us exactly what to do and even gave us some bread to feed the fish which made it way more fun.

The restaurant had hamburgers and sandwiches and pizza and fruity drinks. It was priced like a Fridays or something similar, maybe a tad more expensive than that, but not ridiculous.

Hope you have fun!

Hmm, it sounds like it may be a little bit further out than I want to adventure and a little too deep for my taste with snorkeling off the beach shore. (Unless I have someone else going with me, I really don't like to go by myself for safety reasons). Hopefully there will be "something" to see closer to the shore/rocks in not too deep of water.

Thanks for the info on the restaurant. Sounds perfect. :)