Airway Inn

ERNLYN

This is the epitome of a low budget place. If you look up reviews online you'll see they are not that great.

This is the type of hotel that has "hourly rates," which means you might hear a lot of family-unfriendly noises while there.

Has anyone stayed at the Airway Inn On Astoria, between LGA and the Manhattan Port If so can you give us your thought please...

It would be helpful if you provide more details. Number of people? Hotel budget? Exact date and arrival time at LGA? Sightseeing plans, if any.

Sure, flying into LGA on Friday Sept 30th @ 6pm. and cruising from Manhattan Port next day Sat Oct. 1st. 4 Adults, no sightseeing plans. looking at Airway for jus the overnight stay. Also they offer free shuttle to and from LGA. Like anyone, we are very cost conscious, but will not stand for bedbugs, roaches, or safety issues.... We are not that picky regarding noise family or otherwise. Kids will be kids.... of course we don't want to be subject to any knockdown drag out drunken brawls either. But that happens in some of the best hotels.

Has anyone stayed at the Airway Inn On Astoria, between LGA and the Manhattan Port If so can you give us your thought please...

Hard to believe out of the millions of members on this board, no one has any info...

Kinda scares me........I guess we will be the first to stay there...

Hard to believe out of the millions of members on this board, no one has any info...

Kinda scares me........I guess we will be the first to stay there...

You can be the first to report.

I would scour the trip advisor and Yelp reviews. If you answer the question about your budget, perhaps someone will find something in your price range.

Most cruisers want to stay in Manhattan. If they can't afford Manhattan, they look at Long Island City. If they stay at LGA, they tend to stay in a branded hotel. The advice I give for EWR is that a cheap hotel is a cheap hotel. You will get what you pay for and you may not like it. I think the same advice applies to LGA. We don't even recommend hotels at JFK regardless of what you pay.

It's a relatively new, budget class hotels - similar to your Motel 6's, Super 8 and Days Inn. Around the corner from the bus stop that locals ride to/from LGA, next to a gas station on busy & wide Astoria Blvd, there's a mini-strip mall on the next block, 24/7 Dunkin Donuts - takeout delivery are plentiful in this area with Latino's and immigrants. Inbound flights for LGA flying the East River route will be on their final approach just above tree top level, swooping in at less than 500' aiming for Rwy #4 for landing - good news is that if used for takeoff, your hotel is far enough to not hear the jet blast as smaller & regional jets are used these days.

I strongly suggest reading some of the (negative) reviews on Tripadvisor closely for comments, more so than the positive ones. It's sold out on your dates so I can price compare - Sept & October generally meant high occupancy & prices to match for hotels in NYC. With 4 adults staying there - 1 or 2 rooms ?? - you might want to consider spending a little more for bedding instead for a better room nearby in LIC (use hotwires & other discount booking sites if necessary to shop around for a comparable deal.

If this is a fully refundable booking rate - you should also consider holding it for now & wait a few more weeks, then watch to see if there's a rate drop at a nicer/better/closer major chain hotel, i.e. L.I.C. area or even in downtown Manhattan/Wall Street financial districts.

As a smart traveler, you know what the typical, complimentary continental breakfast are like at these budget places - best to skip those brown water & stale donuts, BK and McD's have dollar specials nearby in the morning and the all-day specials if you are truly budget conscious, until you board the ship for lunch. Car service costs from hotels near LGA and/or Queens are relatively reasonable, and mass transit is always an option if you travel light & can manage the stairs/steps - otherwise, booking a van is a must and typically about $15 higher than a 4 door sedan (exceed capacity in your case). Dial 7 and (our choice ------>>> ) Carmel car service being our preference for pier transportation.

That's a much better choice, very good. There's 2 Fairfield Inn, I assumed you booked the one on Astoria Blvd but there is a 2nd. one further away from Manhattan on College Point Blvd in the Flushing area, closer to us. Astoria Blvd. should be okay for your needs - there isn't much choices for dinner after landing & getting to the hotel, planning for getting takeout food delivered - I'm sure the front desk have menus for those nearby. It will be cheaper than airport concession-priced food at LGA.

It's off the GCP (highway below grade) on the south side of the service road near # of gas stations & auto repair shops, etc. - our mechanic's shop is nearby too, LOL. On the other side of GCP, north side service road is a Dunkin Donuts, pretty sure it's 24/7. Otherwise, it's essentially a residential area - pretty quiet, safe area & it's one of the many newer franchised hotel popping up all over the city - plus, you are not directly under LGA's runway/landing glide path so jet noise is fine. Go to Google Map & switch to "street view" and you will see what the area is like.

From there, I would book Dial7 or Carmel car service for the ride to the cruise terminal in the morning, it's an easy one - for 4 people with luggage, you will be comfortable in a mini-van, fares with toll should not be more than $45 to $50, maybe less plus 20% tipping. If you book Carmel online, there's always coupon code to use to save $3 for the trip, print it out & hand it to the driver.

Here's the blank Carmel coupon, valid for use thru 12/31/2016 - print 2 so that you have an extra one to use on for disembarkation (not valid if booked using the free mobile app) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/CarmelLimo%20-%20NY%20Airport%20Limo%20Serv%20Online%20Coupon%20-03.pdf

Enjoy your cruise & please do a quick post-visit report briefly on your short overnight hotel stay, if you do not mind. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks Mking8288 for all your info! checking with Carmel.....

We will be looking for a supermarket or equivalent to purchase a 12 pack of "Sunkist Diet" soda for myself. Are you aware of any supermarkets or grocery stores near the Fairfield on Astoria?

I took my SUV for service earlier & drove right by the Inn, had a quick look as I usually zip onto the highway on-ramp ahead. A block away is a Mobil and a Shell gas station, both 24/4 with Mini-Mart & you best bet for beverages, just turn right outside the hotel. If you walk down one block on 44th Street, there's a Deli for sandwiches & things. Otherwise, DD is the only place around for coffee, etc.

Pictures speak for themselves.

edc248f544d1408dd964ce4337bb95ca.jpg

d05058babe41743f5f6d83d0103e518d.jpg

Coming from 45th Street toward Astoria Blvd.

0135ef94d83d76e3fdeec8296525080e.jpg

64e3768ba42996cffc2d7bfcdbfdb4a0.jpg

a8cd1f35656a94c77c758a4c703c2c65.jpg

Deli is a 2 blocks walk away from the highway service road along 45th or 44th Street from the gas stations, nothing else around but lots of auto shops & commercial warehouses.

ebe9db7e9b23e95244c70ff394577854.jpg

via Nexus* over Google Fi - WiFi network, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

Awesome mking8288, thanks loads for the scouting info....

We are considering walking to Gaspar's around 8pm Friday evening for a sandwich, and then back to the hotel. Sat. morning we'll walk to the mini mart for some diet soda. Yes, I will post a review of the Fairfield, Mini Mart, and Gaspar's.

I'm guessing that you are likely sailing CCL again out of Manhattan CT, given your cruise history so if you planned to bring canned diet soda onboard - it's fine b/c NCL recently banned - fleetwide - bottled water & soda, canned ones included.

Gaspar, like many neighborhood Deli's around town, is open at 7 AM and it close at 8 PM, so plan accordingly. Address/info - 4402 25th Ave @ corner 44th Street, Long Island City, NY 11103 Phone: (718) 721-6930

Got a menu link - can't voucher for those prices but if they are current, excellent and bargains for simple food, and info on what they have/serve. May they will deliver over to the Fairfield's - just call in the order or check with them before flying in. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/gaspars-deli/menu

Hotel shuttle, you might want to ask the hotel if the driver/routes also offer a courtesy pickup/dropoff at nearby Steinway Street, where there are more local restaurants & dining option - it's about a 6 or 7 blocks walk. About 3 blocks north of the parkway is a mini-mall with another deli & other small shops including DD, with around the corner - Rite Aid Pharmacy & a good place to stock up on soda & travel essentials. 43-02 Ditmars Blvd, Astoria, NY 11105 (input these on Google Map or Bing and you can visualize what's in the immediate area ... )

• 2 months later...
That's a much better choice, very good. There's 2 Fairfield Inn, I assumed you booked the one on Astoria Blvd but there is a 2nd. one further away from Manhattan on College Point Blvd in the Flushing area, closer to us. Astoria Blvd. should be okay for your needs - there isn't much choices for dinner after landing & getting to the hotel, planning for getting takeout food delivered - I'm sure the front desk have menus for those nearby. It will be cheaper than airport concession-priced food at LGA.

It's off the GCP (highway below grade) on the south side of the service road near # of gas stations & auto repair shops, etc. - our mechanic's shop is nearby too, LOL. On the other side of GCP, north side service road is a Dunkin Donuts, pretty sure it's 24/7. Otherwise, it's essentially a residential area - pretty quiet, safe area & it's one of the many newer franchised hotel popping up all over the city - plus, you are not directly under LGA's runway/landing glide path so jet noise is fine. Go to Google Map & switch to "street view" and you will see what the area is like.

From there, I would book Dial7 or Carmel car service for the ride to the cruise terminal in the morning, it's an easy one - for 4 people with luggage, you will be comfortable in a mini-van, fares with toll should not be more than $45 to $50, maybe less plus 20% tipping. If you book Carmel online, there's always coupon code to use to save $3 for the trip, print it out & hand it to the driver.

Here's the blank Carmel coupon, valid for use thru 12/31/2016 - print 2 so that you have an extra one to use on for disembarkation (not valid if booked using the free mobile app) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/CarmelLimo%20-%20NY%20Airport%20Limo%20Serv%20Online%20Coupon%20-03.pdf

Enjoy your cruise & please do a quick post-visit report briefly on your short overnight hotel stay, if you do not mind. Enjoy your cruise.

As promised to mking8288 here is a short post review of the Fairfield at Marriott Inn located on Astoria Blvd in Queens. Upon arriving LGA (around 8:30pm due to airline delays) we called the hotel FREE airport shuttle to pick us up at LGA, he was in the area and arrived within 5 mins of our call. It was a short 10 min drive with another cruise couple to the hotel. Check in was quick. We rsvp"d a room with 2 queen beds. Night clerk was very friendly and advised us of the "Food Mart" & convenience store next door to the hotel. Hotel was very clean, a little noise through the night but nothing bad. Next morning we enjoyed the hot breakfast bar, was pretty good, it offered gravy & biscuits, toast scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, cereal, yogurt, juices and etc. After breakfast with some prior research we walked approximately half mile to the left of the hotel and made a right on Steinway and a couple blocks down found a full service grocery store to make our soda purchase. We bought 4 12 packs soda, one of each,Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Diet Sunkist Orange (my favorite) and one Sprite. The young Cashier girl, bagged each 12 pack a special way which made the toting back to the room VERY easy. so we carried them on-board the ship the same way. After returning to the hotel we gathered our luggage, at 9:30am called Carmel Limo for our trip to the port after calling Carmel arrived within 10 minutes in an SUV which comfortable held the four of us and our 6 pcs of luggage. The trip took about 45 mins. with very little traffic issues. As mking8288 suggested we printed the 2 coupons for Carmel for our trip to and from the port used each. I recommend both the Fairfield Marriott and Carmel. Thanks again to mking8288 for all your assistance.

... here is a short post review of the Fairfield at Marriott Inn located on Astoria Blvd in Queens. I recommend both the Fairfield Marriott and Carmel. Thanks again ... for all your assistance.

Excellent & thanks, happy that everything worked out as planned. This will be helpful to others planning their trip into NY's LGA/JFK and staying overnight nearby - not an ideal location but the walk is a healthy one ... ( I used to jog several miles daily in the early morning before going to work, PCP now simply recommend 30 minutes of brisk walking daily ;) )

Nice to not hear adverse feedback about LGA airport issues with getting picked up & dropped off promptly with the ongoing constructions - I drove by earlier in the week and most of the old parking structure next to central terminal (as in T-C) are gone & flatten and new one going up, hopefully as promised by the governor - will make this a world class facility with the modernization & upgrade ... we are