Family to Playa Mia - Need advice

Shawnie_Boy

Hi

We will be in Cozumel next month through Oasis. We are 2 adults, 3 kids (aged 7, 5, and 2). We want to go to Playa Mia for the kids - I need advice - is it better to book through ship or get there on your own. Is taxi safe and reliable, how far is it from ship? I also heard if booked through ship, you dont get that much time there to relax - can anyone please comment on this. I really need your help!

Thanks

Shawn

Look at going on your own.

Playa Mia has packages for day passes with or with out food and with or without transportation.

http://www.playamia.com/packages.php

But the with transportation may be the ship reservation.

FYI a taxi from the International Pier where Oasis typically docks will run around US$30 (380 Mx$) per taxi for 5 or more passengers each way.

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas. Our family booked Playa Mia Cooking class thru http://www.cozumel-tours.com It was $65 a person and included round trip transportation, all you can drink, use of the resort and the class with a 3 course meal. We got there before the people from the ship and were able to stay longer then the people from the ship. we had a great time and really enjoyed the class. Even though we cooked the food it was delish!

Cozumel is very safe and very easy to do on your own. There's plenty of taxi's in Cozumel no matter where you are going or coming from. So taxi's will not be an issue at all.

Try looking up different pricing online to see what vendors offer a day pass there versus the ship sponsored tours and see which benefits you most. I know when we went there, we were responsible for getting our own transportation to and from, so we were able to come and go when we pleased, even though we booked using the Playa Mia site, which took us to the Carnival booking site to book. :eek:

I have a huge review listed in my signature line with tons of pictures from our day there if you are interested. :)

Just checking on prices. Carnival does not offer Playa Mia anymore. Booking options for an adult day pass (admission, all incl. F&B) found were plentiful (some cheaper than booking direct!):

Playa Mia: $60.00

Shoretrips: $61.00

Shore Excursioneer: $53.99

Cozumel Tours: $54.00

Shore Excursions Group: $62.00

Cozumel Mexico Tours: $53.00

Is taxi safe and reliable, how far is it from ship?

Taxis in Coz are safe and fairly well regulated (especially compared to Philly :mad:) - the ride to Play Mia will take about 15 minutes; fares will be posted on a sign near the cab line by your pier. There are 3 piers in Coz - know which one you want to come back to! :rolleyes: I would either arrange for a driver who provides car seats or better yet bring my own car seats for your younger ones, and tip the cab driver extra for the time spent installing and uninstalling the seats.

We just did Playa Mia in March and booked through the cruise line. I had heard others complaining that you don't get much time there but I think it was more than adequate. We got there just before 10:30 and the bus left at 3pm to take us back. We had our 2 year old with us and I can tell you after 4 hours, she was exhausted and we were happy to be heading back to get her some much-needed down time.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to get the meals? how long is the buffet open? Can you buy al la carte? Are the prices reasonable. I have a 4 yr old - not sure it is worth purchasing for her. I do not eat a lot but like to nibble often. Thanks

We went in May. Playa Mia was the reason I picked Western Caribbean.

It was only meh.

The buffet was convenient. It was bland though. It was very Americanized IMO.

We booked through Viator.

I do recommend getting right off the ship and hurrying there. We had the place to ourselves for an hour before groups started arriving.

Sand was grainy. Rough.

Kids loved pools and splash area.

They kept trying to gently up sell. We didn't bite. They were not pushy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to get the meals? how long is the buffet open? Can you buy al la carte? Are the prices reasonable. I have a 4 yr old - not sure it is worth purchasing for her. I do not eat a lot but like to nibble often. Thanks

We bought the package through Royal Caribbean and it included the lunch. It was good - there were a couple of more "authentic" items but definitely had american fare. At the time, we had our almost 3 year old daughter with us and it was perfect as she was familiar with the food. She actually ate quite a bit. Her child ticket was less than ours and did include the buffet. I think you can buy a pass directly from Playa Mia that doesn't include food if you'd like. No idea what the prices are from them but have heard it's cheaper although you may have to get your own transportation.

The buffet was open for a few hours and they re-filled often. The chips and salsa were very good so we had a few plates of that around.

• 2 weeks later...