Champagne Reef - How rough is it?

Bluemoon319

I've looked at things for Dominica a bit, but I'm still very undecided. I was there once on my 1st cruise 12 years ago and had really wanted to go snorkeling at the Champagne reef, but ended up opting for something else. I will be in Dominica next Feb. and thought I would take the opportunity to do it then, but someone told me that the water is a bit rough there. I would love to hear if anyone can confirm or deny this. I snorkel a lot, but also have asthma which make it tough to do in rough seas which could be a deal-breaker. Thanks in advance for any input. :)

I've looked at things for Dominica a bit, but I'm still very undecided. I was there once on my 1st cruise 12 years ago and had really wanted to go snorkeling at the Champagne reef, but ended up opting for something else. I will be in Dominica next Feb. and thought I would take the opportunity to do it then, but someone told me that the water is a bit rough there. I would love to hear if anyone can confirm or deny this. I snorkel a lot, but also have asthma which make it tough to do in rough seas which could be a deal-breaker. Thanks in advance for any input. :)

My husband I will be there in Oct and are looking at tours that include a stop here. I was wondering the same thing. the walk down has me a little nervous as my knees sometime like to buckle at inopportune times. Once I am in the water I do pretty great unless its really rough.

lynn

• 2 weeks later...

The water is not that bad. The water was rougher on the coast at Cape Caneveral. The rocks on the shore are pretty rough to walk over. It was a very unique experience. Maybe see if you can get on a catameran to take you to the area. That would give you come comfort to have something close by. By no means do you need to be an advanced swimmer to be in this area. Our tour guide was close by kept checking on us.

Our excursion took us there by water so we didn't have to climb over the rocks. Thank Goodness!

On those that take you by land the big problem is getting into and out of the water.

It was OK but we have no desire to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...
Our excursion took us there by water so we didn't have to climb over the rocks. Thank Goodness!

On those that take you by land the big problem is getting into and out of the water.

It was OK but we have no desire to do it again.

What tour did you go on that took you by water?

• 2 weeks later...