Price drop after booking...

csaeroach

I booked the Breakaway yesterday afternoon, GTY cabin and I just logged in to check if a cabin has been assigned yet, and its now pricing $100 cheaper today then what we paid yesterday. It's only 19 days until sailing so I had to make the full payment yesterday, so no refund but does NCL offer OBC or anything for the price difference or we out of luck?

You can always have your TA (or NCL if you booked direct) ask. Some on CC will say there were able to get an OBC, others not.

If you are able to get an OBC it is unlikely that it would be for the full amount of the price drop. In your example you are seeing a $100 price drop, NCL might offer $25.

YMMV. good luck.

I'm not sure the 48 hour price guarantee applies to gty bookings, but call right away and ask. Then general policy re OBC for price drops after final is "no", but you can ask...once in a while somebody gets a smallish crdeit.

Did the prices of assigned or better categories also drop? NCL is pretty good about allowing upgrades after final payment if there is now another category at an appealing price point. Added...not sure what you paid, but I see OV gty for $100 more than inside gty, so maybe you can get a free or cheap upgrade to OV. Balconies are not that much more...

Edited by Starry Eyes

OK Here goes. I think it all depends on who you book with, (TA or NCL directly). A year ago I booked the Getaway for this past August. Fabulous cruise by the way, one of the best yet. We do one every August with our daughter and 2 grandsons. The original booking was for 2 balcony cabins, 2 in one, 3 in the other. Original starting price $1016 p/p ( don't remember the charge for the 3rd in the cabin was). Needless to say I'm a compulsive price watcher and must have called my very patient and wonderful TA at least 10 times during the year when NCL or anyone else dropped their prices. Got the price adjusted each and every time. The clincher, about a month before sailing after final payment mid-ship mini-suites dropped to $799 which was the exact price we were now down to for our balconies. I was on the phone in seconds after seeing that and my TA spent 2 hours on the phone with NCL and we got the mini's for the $799 I was thrilled, they were just beautiful. I feel always give it your best shot you never know. Have a great cruise

I think it all depends on who you book with, (TA or NCL directly).

It doesn't. What you described was a regular upgrade after the prices on higher category cabins dropped, that is completely normal and can be done regardless of where you book.

If there was now a higher category priced exactly at what OP paid, they could ask for an upgrade to that category too.

Edited by Demonyte

Demonyte NCL usually will do that but not all the time. For new bookings only is a very common reason why.

"For new bookings only" usually only applies to promotions (perks and extras), not the cabin price per se. And yep, for some reason I didn't write "usually" anywhere but it doesn't change the fact that the booking source has nothing to do with ability to ask/get upgrades - there are both good and bad customer service reps in both TAs and NCL.

Demonyte NCL usually will do that but not all the time. For new bookings only is a very common reason why.

Honestly, for post-final payment upgrade requests, I hear the "new bookings only" line cited less by NCL than by other cruise lines.

For some other cruise lines, "new bookings only" is the "go-to" line to decline requests after final payment as (almost) everything they sell is marked new bookings

Thanks everyone for your posts. We were able to go from a gty inside to a gty balcony for less then $100 more so it was a no brainer for us. We are still waiting for the balcony to be assigned at 17 days before sailing, and so looking forward to this cruise!! The price has dropped twice in the past couple days since we booked but looks to be making it's way back up again.

Thanks everyone for your posts. We were able to go from a gty inside to a gty balcony for less then $100 more so it was a no brainer for us. We are still waiting for the balcony to be assigned at 17 days before sailing, and so looking forward to this cruise!! The price has dropped twice in the past couple days since we booked but looks to be making it's way back up again.

Congrats and have a nice cruise, sounds like a good deal on the upgrade. :)

That's the perfect way to benefit from price drops after final payment. Enjoy your balcony cabin.:)

On Thursday I booked the Breakaway for Oct 5th. No OBC but good rate for a BX GTY. I booked it through CAS so we got a discount and drink cards. Of course, had I waited until today, I would have qualified for this weekend promotion and also received $100 OBC for latitude guests. I called and of course, this promotion is for new bookings only (non harm in asking). Ah well still looking forward to a great cruise. The way I have to look at it is that if the rate ad gone up $100 I wouldn't want them to call me to ask for more $. :)

On Thursday I booked the Breakaway for Oct 5th. No OBC but good rate for a BX GTY. I booked it through CAS so we got a discount and drink cards. Of course, had I waited until today, I would have qualified for this weekend promotion and also received $100 OBC for latitude guests. I called and of course, this promotion is for new bookings only (non harm in asking). Ah well still looking forward to a great cruise. The way I have to look at it is that if the rate ad gone up $100 I wouldn't want them to call me to ask for more $. :)

simba o - please go to the roll call page and update your information. We are having a Meet and Greet on October 6th at 11am in La Cucina. We hope to see you there!:D