Eastern Mediterranian cruise

txflood33

My wife and I are taking the 11 night Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection for our 10 year anniversary. I have never been to this part of the world so I'm not real sure what to expect regarding sight seeing....I know there is a ton of ancient architecture which I'm looking forward to and some excellent food and drink.

My question is, do I need to book a tour at each of the stops or are they fairly easy to explore....and still remain safe? For example, Athens, I know we want to see the Acropolis. Do we need a tour to get there or is it within walking distance and we could make it on our own and still have time to shop/stop in a cafe for a wine/coffee?

I hope the question makes sense.

My stops

Start in Rome....we are flying in a day early to have some time here before we leave on the ship

Santorini, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Ephesus, Turkey

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Naples, Italy....considering doing the hike to the top of Mt Vesuvius

any hints for any of these ports would be appreciated...just trying to budget ahead and make sure we're not disappointed because we were unaware of something and didn't have the cash on hand.

Hello txflood33,

I have done some of these ports,and can give you my opinion .

First of all I would get a copy of Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports.

Fantastic information and you can download guides to do tours yourself.

Santorini, we tendered off the ship, there is a cable car that will take you up to Fira,the main town, we walked along and admired the fantastic views, had lunch and took our time to walk down slowly. There are also donkey rides up and down if you are brave enough!

Ephesus, we took this half day tour:

http://www.************.biz/************/************_halfday.htm

excellent company, there were eight of us , and we had a great time, It was very hot, so we found the half day was perfect. We had time to wander around Kusadasi (where you dock) and shop before going back on board.

Athens, the Hop on Hop off bus comes right down to the Port and we used that to visit The Acropolis, (used Rick Steve's Audio guide) and stopped off at a few other places. You should have plenty of time to sightsee and enjoy a glass of wine. We didn't particularly enjoy Athens.

Naples, we took a full day private tour and did Positano, Pompei and the Amalfi Coast. We found someone organising the tour on our roll call,think there were 10 of us, again a very enjoyable day.

Going to Mykonos on our cruise next week, so will report back, and have not been to Istanbul. (yet!!!!)

We mainly like to do our own thing or join a small private tour.

Hope this helps to start your research.

Anne

To help make your decisions about each port of call, join you roll call, which can be found on CC main page and also read the posts and post specific questions on the Port of Call forums: Europe-Eastern Med.

All your ports of call can be DIY, using local transportation.

Santorini and Mykonos are easy to do yourself.

I prefer both private and ship tours to get the most out of a historical site. The other guides will all be certified and are very knowledgeable about each ruin.

We did a ship tour in Athens.the port is about 30 minutes away from the old area of Athens depending on traffic. Our guide and bus got us to the Acropolis early. We got to the top before all the crowds., quick stops at two other sites and then we had 3 hours in the Plaka on our own.

did a private tour for Ephesus including the terrace houses which was a half day tour. We spent the afternoon exploring Kusadasi on our own.

it is a great itinerary with much to see so you really need to prioritze wha tis most important for you to see and experience on each port day.

Istanbul I organized a privte tour for eight peole. It was a full day but the best guide I ever had : visited

Topkapi palace and the museums on the grounds plus the Suelyman Mosque and grounds.

Edited by Azulann

My wife and I are taking the 11 night Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection for our 10 year anniversary. I have never been to this part of the world so I'm not real sure what to expect regarding sight seeing....I know there is a ton of ancient architecture which I'm looking forward to and some excellent food and drink.

My question is, do I need to book a tour at each of the stops or are they fairly easy to explore....and still remain safe? For example, Athens, I know we want to see the Acropolis. Do we need a tour to get there or is it within walking distance and we could make it on our own and still have time to shop/stop in a cafe for a wine/coffee?

My stops

Start in Rome....we are flying in a day early to have some time here before we leave on the ship

Santorini, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Ephesus, Turkey

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

any hints for any of these ports would be appreciated...just trying to budget ahead and make sure we're not disappointed because we were unaware of something and didn't have the cash on hand.

We have visited all of these ports, some more than once, since we love this part of the world. We rarely do ship tours, they are expensive.

Besides what others have said, somethings I might add is don't think you can do it all. Pace yourself and pick what is most important to you in terms of doing tours.

We have visited Istanbul years ago, had fun visiting the biazzar on our own and did a 1/2 day tour - cruise along the Bospherus which was very nice.

Been to Ephesus - did a 1/2 day tour off the ship, after wards plenty of time to shop near the port.

Spent a week in Athens sometime ago so can't offer any tips about tours off a ship. I enjoyed visiting the Acropolis and wondering down through the Plaka, lots of boutiques and small restaurants. Enjoyable area. I understand there is a new museum at the foot of the Acropolis that was opened a few years ago.

Greek islands are fun to explore on your own.

Another option in Naples is to take a boat to Capri.

I hope you have a great trip.

My wife and I are taking the 11 night Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection for our 10 year anniversary. I have never been to this part of the world so I'm not real sure what to expect regarding sight seeing....I know there is a ton of ancient architecture which I'm looking forward to and some excellent food and drink. My question is, do I need to book a tour at each of the stops or are they fairly easy to explore....and still remain safe? For example, Athens, I know we want to see the Acropolis. Do we need a tour to get there or is it within walking distance and we could make it on our own and still have time to shop/stop in a cafe for a wine/coffee? I hope the question makes sense. My stops

Santorini, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Ephesus, Turkey

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Excellent follow-ups, ideas and comments from the previous two posters. We've done all of these ports/location, except Santorini. Have that Greek island location on our future to-do list. From the below live/blog, we had stops and wonderful experiences for the Naples area and Rome detailed with lots of pictures. Super loved Athens, Istanbul, Ephesus, Mykonos during our first cruise in June 2006. Below are some of my visuals for these four Greek/Turkish stops.

Some of these ports can be done on your own, maybe. Much depends on your budget and what you like to see, how to do it, etc. My view is that a tour, whether private or from the ship, can help so much with your logistics and understandings for what you are seeing, why it's important, etc. Why just wander around, see a few things, but not maximize your time, knowing what these "old things" mean something, are significant, etc. Trade-offs?? Lots of if's, etc.

Tell us more on your desires, interests, budget flexibility, past Europe experiences, etc. For the Naples area, I am not sure that just hiking to Mr. Vesuvius would be my top priority. When you think of Capri, Pompeii, Positano, the Amalfi Coast, etc., etc., those other potentials nearby to Naples seem so much better based on our past experiences there.

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

There are over 9,200 views on this posting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 170,107 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Here was our first view of Istanbul in 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest! Istanbul has so much variety, history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc. It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Istanbul’s famed Blue Mosque or Sultan Ahmed Mosque. It is popularly known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior. It was built from 1609 to 1616. It is still used as a mosque and is one of Istanbul's most popular tourist attraction. The design is the culmination of two centuries of both Ottoman mosque and Byzantine church development. It incorporates some Byzantine elements of the neighboring Hagia Sophia with traditional Islamic architecture. It is considered to be the last great mosque of the classical period. The architect aimed for overwhelming size, majesty and splendour. It has six minarets along with eight smaller domes and one main large dome.:

1A-Istanbul-BlueMosque.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

My stops

Santorini, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Ephesus, Turkey

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

We have been to all those ports, except Istanbul, and here's our experience with each:

Rome - the post of Civitavecchia is quite a distance from Rome. We flew in a couple of days early and stayed in Rome, then booked a car to take us to the port on the morning of embarkation. The ride to the port was about an hour.

Santorini - this is a tender port. We took the funicular up to Fira and did a self guided tour. We went into the main part of the town first and picked a restaurant for lunch and reserved a table for noon, then went back out and headed the opposite way from the crowds and into the residential area. It was beautiful, with a new stunning vista around every turn. Then we went back to the restaurant for lunch and bypassed the huge line-up and had the best table overlooking the sea. After lunch we toured the rest of Fira. We heard many people talking about the bus to Oia, but it was a short stay and we did not want to be rushed.

Ephesus - your ship most likely docks in Kusadasi, which is some distance from Ephesus. We did a tour here, which we would highly recommend. We saw the Terrace Houses and the Library, then a carpet weaving demonstration, which was very interesting. We were dropped back at the port just outside the market so we could wander and shop on our own. There is so much history here that without a guided tour we would have missed a lot.

Athens - we did this city on our own. We were among the first people off the ship, and took a taxi to the nearest subway, which we took to the Acropolis. We got there early, before it got too hot and before the tours arrived to make it too crowded. Just as the crowds were descending we were leaving and headed down into the Plaka. It's safe to wander on your own, just be aware of your surroundings and belongings, just like in any city. We found a great patio for lunch, saw the sights, did a little shopping, then took the subway back to the port stop, and did the 15 minute walk back to the ship.

Mykonos - this was a tender port. Once on the island we did a self-guided tour along the coast to Little Venice, then headed inland to see the residential areas, then back to the town for lunch. In the afternoon we enjoyed a beach we had seen on our morning walk.

Naples - Naples is a crazy city. If you do walk on your own be aware that stop lights seems to be considered optional for vehicles, so be careful when you're crossing any roads. We did not find much to do in Naples proper, but on prior trips we had been to both the Isle of Capri and to the ruins at Pompeii. I would highly recommend a tour to one of these destinations.

Have a great trip!

We are doing the same cruise in June with friends. Interested to hear about the hop on hop off bust in Athens. I like the idea of getting that bus to see the sights. Has many people did this?

Thanks

We are doing the same cruise in June with friends. Interested to hear about the hop on hop off bust in Athens. I like the idea of getting that bus to see the sights. Has many people did this? Thanks

Assume you need info on a "BUS", not a "hop on hop off bust". Right? We did not do such a hop-on, hop-off bus in Athens. It is a very large city, but the two key superstars there are the Acropolis and Plaka. Both are side-by-side in exactly the same area. The new Acropolis Museum is right there, too, with lots of interesting historic, art items, etc. Much of the rest of Athens is only "average" to marginal.

Also with such hop-on, hop-off buses, they can get very crowded at times and/or have long waits between the bus times. What's most of interest to you for Athens? Tell us more!! Below are a couple of Athens visuals to preview the glory that is there.

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important. Below are a few of my visual sample to get people excited about their upcoming visit and/or re-live those wonderful memories from this historic city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 55,408 views for this fun posting.

Enjoying a bright, sunny day in front of the famed Parthenon in Athens. Dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena, considered by the people of Athens as their virgin patron, its construction began in 447 BC. That is when the Athenian Empire was at the height of its power. It was completed in 438 BC. Called the most important surviving building of classical Greece, the Parthenon was the culmination of Doric order development. Its decorative sculptures are rated as some of the high points of Greek art.:

ParthenonPosing.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athens’ historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food. Don't miss this part of Athens!! The Plaka is clustered around the northern and eastern slopes of the Acropolis. It is a labyrinthine of streets and neoclassical architecture. The Plaka is built on top of the residential areas of the ancient town of Athens. It is known as the "Neighborhood of the Gods" due to its proximity to the Acropolis and its many nearby archaeological sites.:

PlakaDining.jpg

We are doing the same cruise in June with friends. Interested to hear about the hop on hop off bust in Athens. I like the idea of getting that bus to see the sights. Has many people did this?

Thanks

This is a link to the Hop on /off bus route in Athens:

http://www.citysightseeing.gr/red-and-blue-route/time-table/

We went for the 9 15am bus as quite a few people were going for the early ones .

We bought a red and blue ticket and it was 20 Euros.

We got off at stop 7 to connect with the red line bus to the Acropolis and you come back to this stop to get the blue line bus back to Pireaus and the cruise terminal.

We enjoyed sight seeing from the top of the bus and hopping off if we wanted to see something in particular.

The most we waited for a bus was 20 minutes and that was at the red/blue connection stop.

We found that the buses kept to the timetable.

If you plan to sit on top make sure you bring some water, sunscreen and a hat.

Enjoy your cruise.

Anne