A Question For S7S

spcl4cs_gal

Yes...it is possible for pax to receive faxes while aboard the ship.

I think I have their fax number upstairs but I am on my way out. When I return, I will look for it.

The price is the same as a telephone call to the ship. $8.75 ??? (or whatever it is these days) per minute.

DH has received a number of faxes while aboard all the 'dam' ships and they are always handled very efficiently and are delivered to our cabin within about 3o minutes of being received by the ship's radio room.

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE anyone sending you a fax marks down your name, indicates you are a passenger and GIVES YOUR CABIN NUMBER. That will speed delivery to you.

Speaking of the price of phone calls. While on the Veendam last week, they were offering 49 cents a minute to call back to the US. I checked with the front desk to make sure there were no "catches" and sure enough it was 49 cents per minute. I made several call to dh and ds, got my bill, and all was well. She gave me the impression it was fleetwide, and had changed within the past month. Alison, did you notice such an offer while onboard the Z?

It was on a standup card on your night stand, the same type of card, where it use to be $7.99 a minute!!!!

I was sailing in Vancouver, and Alaska....so I am not sure if it is different for Caribbean.

Marie

Zuiderdam Telephone No. 011 8743 24530 410 (or 420);

Zuiderdam Fax No. 011 8743 24530 411 (or 421)

(I always make note of the ship's telephone number and carry it when we go ashore. In the event of an emergency, or some reason we wish to call the ship, it is very handly to have it in my purse. That number rings at the front office.

Zuiderdam Telephone No. 011 8743 24530 410 (or 420);

Zuiderdam Fax No. 011 8743 24530 411 (or 421)

(I always make note of the ship's telephone number and carry it when we go ashore. In the event of an emergency, or some reason we wish to call the ship, it is very handly to have it in my purse. That number rings at the front office.

So if I were to fax someone on the ship, I would just dial in the fax number for transmission and it would arrive on the ship...then the powers that be would forward it to the person I am faxing? This sounds too easy. LOL

Yes........I will warn that my DH's office has told us from time to time, they dial and dial and dial before they get the connection. (They are not charged if no connection is accomplished.) While it may take a few tries (probably has something to do with accessibility of lines?) it is the same as sending any fax. The ship's office receives it and if YOU CLEARLY WRITE THE PAX NAME AND CABIN NUMBER ON IT (indicating they are a passenger), it is delivered to their cabin.

That easy.

Hope this has helped you.

The connection for faxing does not always work. We've had the best luck sending faxes through HAL offices in Seattle. They always seem to get through to us... :)

Be aware of the cost of phone calls - as a parent with a child onboard - though my boys had their own cabin - my youngest racked up several hundred $$$ in phone calls to his friends - he thought it was only $2.50 per call instead of per minute!!!

I can't recall if we've sent a fax "directly" from aboard the ship, as we usually send through or TA - Hal, etc. We have received many of them - no charge... we have efax.com

I will double check and see what our charges are for sending them and will post. .. :)

Yes........I will warn that my DH's office has told us from time to time, they dial and dial and dial before they get the connection. (They are not charged if no connection is accomplished.) While it may take a few tries (probably has something to do with accessibility of lines?) it is the same as sending any fax. The ship's office receives it and if YOU CLEARLY WRITE THE PAX NAME AND CABIN NUMBER ON IT (indicating they are a passenger), it is delivered to their cabin.

That easy.

Hope this has helped you.

We have had the best luck using efax.com when traveling... my office has international faxing capabilities, but we find in this day and age - efax.com - via email, gives us the ability to receive, view, print and return faxes via e-mail - works exceedingly well ... just a thought. :)

Thank you, ekerr.

DH sends faxes through the ship on a regular basis and never has any difficulty. They always bring him confirmation of transmission and it has worked okay for him. His office is not some huge international corporation. It is a private professional office. The price he pays is the same as for a telephone call.....the charge is based upon the length of time it takes to transmit all the pages he needs sent.

Send a email to the ship.

Zuiderdam@cruisemail.com

Subject line....pax name, cabin #. I did this several time when my son was on the QE2 cruising last year. The email was delivered to his cabin.Free.

I think you can mail any ship this way.

So you don't have to have access to a computer on the ship, they just print it off and deliver it to the person?

specl4cs........Yes.

It makes a huge difference if he is not a senior officer.

Hope this conversation has been helpful to you.

And so the run of the mill, everyday crew member cannot receive faxes? I totally disagree with the caste system they have on cruise lines. :(

Send a email to the ship.

Zuiderdam@cruisemail.com

Subject line....pax name, cabin #. I did this several time when my son was on the QE2 cruising last year. The email was delivered to his cabin.Free.

I think you can mail any ship this way.

We are talking about Faxing .....Not e-mail.

And so the run of the mill, everyday crew member cannot receive faxes? I totally disagree with the caste system they have on cruise lines. :(

Crew people have their own methods of communication and e-mail and computer usage. You did not indicate until very late in the conversation that you were not talking about a crew person. You led us, as readers, to think you were talking about a passenger.

Before you judge what you agree or disagree with and accuse of a caste systems, do you not think it would be helpful to have the facts first?

No where did I say a crew person could not receive a Fax. All I said was if the crew person you wish to contact is not a senior officer you should not be using the system I outlined. There is a different method for reaching them.

It is always helpful to have the facts before you start screaming unpleasant accusations.

Hope all of this conversation has been helpful to you. You are very welcome.

You well could get your crew friend into a little bit of a mess if you Fax him/her through the front office in the method I have described. That is for Passengers. If he/she is your friend, you probably have other ways to contact them.

I would strongly suggest you not fax them.

Do you know if it is possible to fax someone onboard the Zuiderdam? If it is how do I go about doing this and how much would it cost me? Hopefully not as much as a phone call to the ship would cost. :) Thanks.

I can't answer your question, but I will e-mail my friend on board the ZU and ask him if you can fax a crew member. He may even suggest that you e-mail him and he will pass it on to your friend. Will let you know when I get an answer. Do you have an e-mail address I where I can contact you? See you live in GTA - so do I.

S7S -

I thank you for your information. The question was posed specifically to you and I appreciate the fact that you seem to have all the answers and I don't even have to think of the questions! I have gotten so much information from you answering questions fellow CCers pose.

I will give that number to family when we are sailing in case of an emergency, one of which doesn't require a phone call that is.

Keep 'em coming!

There are big differences in the perks in my company between my self and the officers...BIG GIGANTIC differences! :D

I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to deliver faxes to all crew members.

gliles....

Thank you for your nice words. I am really happy that I have been of some useful help to you.

I very much enjoy participating here and if it is helpful, that makes it all the better. We've cruised HAL so much that even if just by osmosis, through the years, I guess I accumulated a little info

I assure you I do Not have All the answers......just a few of them. :)

Archived