Oceana Venice-Genoa thoughts

addictedtotea

This was my first cruise with my boyfriend after cruising many times (on P&O, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean) with my family. He was a little dubious, but I convinced him and I have a feeling he will never look back!

Flights and Embarkation/Disembarkation:

I have never had such a smooth process. We were sat in the departure lounge at Gatwick airport within 30mins of arrival; there was no queue for the check-in desk or security. We arrived in Venice and had to collect our bags (as this was a scheduled rather than a charter flight), but only walked about 10 steps through the arrivals gate when our luggage was taken by porters for us to see it again at the cabin! After a short transfer and no queue at the check-in, we were onboard within an hour of arriving in Venice.

Similarly, on the journey home our bags were taken from our rooms at 11pm and we saw them again at Gatwick. With flights at 12:45, we were initially surprised at our transfer from the ship being at 11:00, however once we arrived at the airport (Genoa) we realised that it would not be an issue. We had received boarding cards whilst still on board the ship, and there was a P&O only queue at security, meaning a very quick process yet again! Hugely impressed.

Cabin:

Booked a guaranteed inside cabin, allocated A316, very far forward but cabins above and beneath so very quiet. Ideal location, rarely needed to use the lifts. Marx our cabin steward was a star.

Dining:

We were allocated 8:30 club dining, what we had hoped for, and were seated with two other (lovely) couples in the Adriatic restaurant. The food was great, lots of different choices and well presented. We never had an issue with taste or cooking of the food. We weren't expecting 5* star cuisine so it lived up to our expectations.

We also ate in the Beach House one night. Unfortunately it was raining so we had to eat inside. It was nice to eat something different, however we felt the food in the MDR was better quality.

Entertainment:

The Headliners were outstanding in all the shows we saw. Very impressed, as I have been disappointed by the main production company on other lines. Other acts included:

The Octaves - average, but often out of tune and tried to crack unfunny jokes.

Illusionist (can't remember the name) - very good, professional and engaging show.

The entertainment team (headed by Liam Jay) were engaged and seemed to enjoy their roles. We found the party sailaways hilarious - but can see they certainly wouldn't be for everyone. It was always indicated that if you preferred a quiet spot to choose the other pool.

The band Next Step were good, when performing. However on more than one occasion they spent over 30mins sound checking, very loudly, through the sound system - highly irritating.

Do feel the other acts could be improved.

Itinerary:

I have actually sailed this cruise before, on Ventura, and returned because I enjoyed the ports so much. We didn't do any ship excursions, just explored on our own. The highlight was Kotor. Make sure you are on deck to watch the sailaway, it is honestly one of the most amazing things I have experienced. We paid the €3 to climb the 1,350 steps to the Fortress overlooking the valley, if you are reasonably fit you should be able to do it. It took us about 45mins to get up and the views are sublime. Other ports were Corfu, Civitavecchia and Ajaccio.

Overall:

We felt we got what we paid for, and a little more! If I had to fault I would agree that the ship will benefit from a refit, and perhaps the staff in some places could have been a little more friendly.

Loved the holiday. Will definitely sail P&O again.

This was my first cruise with my boyfriend after cruising many times (on P&O, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean) with my family. He was a little dubious, but I convinced him and I have a feeling he will never look back!

I have never had such a smooth process. We were sat in the departure lounge at Gatwick airport within 30mins of arrival; there was no queue for the check-in desk or security. We arrived in Venice and had to collect our bags (as this was a scheduled rather than a charter flight), but only walked about 10 steps through the arrivals gate when our luggage was taken by porters for us to see it again at the cabin! After a short transfer and no queue at the check-in, we were onboard within an hour of arriving in Venice.

Similarly, on the journey home our bags were taken from our rooms at 11pm and we saw them again at Gatwick. With flights at 12:45, we were initially surprised at our transfer from the ship being at 11:00, however once we arrived at the airport (Genoa) we realised that it would not be an issue. We had received boarding cards whilst still on board the ship, and there was a P&O only queue at security, meaning a very quick process yet again! Hugely impressed.

Cabin:

Booked a guaranteed inside cabin, allocated A316, very far forward but cabins above and beneath so very quiet. Ideal location, rarely needed to use the lifts. Marx our cabin steward was a star.

Dining:

We were allocated 8:30 club dining, what we had hoped for, and were seated with two other (lovely) couples in the Adriatic restaurant. The food was great, lots of different choices and well presented. We never had an issue with taste or cooking of the food. We weren't expecting 5* star cuisine so it lived up to our expectations.

We also ate in the Beach House one night. Unfortunately it was raining so we had to eat inside. It was nice to eat something different, however we felt the food in the MDR was better quality.

Entertainment:

The Headliners were outstanding in all the shows we saw. Very impressed, as I have been disappointed by the main production company on other lines. Other acts included:

Illusionist (can't remember the name) - very good, professional and engaging show.

The entertainment team (headed by Liam Jay) were engaged and seemed to enjoy their roles. We found the party sailaways hilarious - but can see they certainly wouldn't be for everyone. It was always indicated that if you preferred a quiet spot to choose the other pool.

The band Next Step were good, when performing. However on more than one occasion they spent over 30mins sound checking, very loudly, through the sound system - highly irritating.

Itinerary:

I have actually sailed this cruise before, on Ventura, and returned because I enjoyed the ports so much. We didn't do any ship excursions, just explored on our own. The highlight was Kotor. Make sure you are on deck to watch the sailaway, it is honestly one of the most amazing things I have experienced. We paid the €3 to climb the 1,350 steps to the Fortress overlooking the valley, if you are reasonably fit you should be able to do it. It took us about 45mins to get up and the views are sublime. Other ports were Corfu, Civitavecchia and Ajaccio.

Overall:

We felt we got what we paid for, and a little more! If I had to fault I would agree that the ship will benefit from a refit, and perhaps the staff in some places could have been a little more friendly.

Was on the same cruise, The ports were really good, and the reason I chose this cruise, the weather could have been a tad better but it didn't spoil it.

Out of interest, did you have any issues with luggage delivery to your Cabin?. We were on board at around 11.30 but didn't get our bags till after 5:30. We were on a Manchester flight so not sure if it was just our flight or a general problem with transfers of them from the airport.

I agree the illusionist was very professional but also very engaging with his audience. I must admit I thought the rest could be improved, I didn't do sail aways and I tried to find a quiet spot to watch that. I did miss the lawn area on the top deck that you get on Celebrity ships as that's a really great quiet spot to enjoy the sail away.

Our Cabin staff and in the Adriatic Dining Room were great, some of the others round the ship seemed a bit sullen.

Was on the same cruise, The ports were really good, and the reason I chose this cruise, the weather could have been a tad better but it didn't spoil it.

Out of interest, did you have any issues with luggage delivery to your Cabin?. We were on board at around 11.30 but didn't get our bags till after 5:30. We were on a Manchester flight so not sure if it was just our flight or a general problem with transfers of them from the airport.

Due to it being a late flight we weren't onboard until 5pm, our bags arrived about an hour later so not an issue for us. Although if we had been onboard by 11:30 I would think 5:30 is a long time to wait!

Yes agree the weather wasn't the best, it was a shame but the ports weren't spoiled :)

It was interesting to read your review - we were on the same itinerary in April, and had similar views to yours about the ports of call, and the ship. We also had a similar experience with the flights (although we flew from/to Cardiff) - it was the easiest, smoothest procedure we have ever encountered in any airport, and on any transfer! Like you, we were really impressed.

Cabin:

Dining:

Entertainment:

Itinerary:

Overall:

Excellent review. Makes me want to go on a cruise. Oh I am on Sunday. :). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did a Genoa to Genoa cruise in May. We didn't land until just after 2pm and our luggage was delivered to our cabin about 3.30 I think. I did hear someone saying that the early flights got their luggage delivered at the same time as ours so I assume that the lorry carrying the luggage only did one trip which would account for the wait.

We did a Genoa to Genoa cruise in May. We didn't land until just after 2pm and our luggage was delivered to our cabin about 3.30 I think. I did hear someone saying that the early flights got their luggage delivered at the same time as ours so I assume that the lorry carrying the luggage only did one trip which would account for the wait.

I think you are right, just a bit annoying when you get on board so early and then are rushing to get ready for our early sitting dinning

• 3 weeks later...

Cabin:

Dining:

Entertainment:

Itinerary:

Overall:

Nice to read your review. We are first time on P&O going from Genoa to Venice and back in September. Looks an amazing itinerary.

Nice to read your review. We are first time on P&O going from Genoa to Venice and back in September. Looks an amazing itinerary.

We are on the Venice to Genoa leg right now, and it's all very good. I agree with everything in the review saving for that we've not tried the entertainment as the kids prefer a more leisurely evening.

Edited by TheArchitect

We are on the Venice to Genoa leg right now, and it's all very good. If agree with everything in the review saving for that we've not tried the entertainment as the kids prefer a more leisurely evening.

Good. I trust you will continue to have a great time and thank you for feedback.

Good. I trust you will continue to have a great time and thank you for feedback.

We're currently quite underwhelmed by Mount Etna but that's not P & O's fault and our cabin balcony is on the sunny mainland side anyway, so enjoying a nice seat and room service in the sun!

We're currently quite underwhelmed by Mount Etna but that's not P & O's fault and our cabin balcony is on the sunny mainland side anyway, so enjoying a nice seat and room service in the sun!

Volcanoes are best when they are smoking. Suspect the underwhelming view is better in your position.

Hi Architect,

we are on the same leg Venice to Genoa starting on the 20th. Can you (or anyone else) tell me what nights are the formal night(s) for Oceana on this cruise?

Thanks,

Barton

Hi last year they were the 2nd evening and 6th onboard ... if that makes sense.

Hi Architect,

we are on the same leg Venice to Genoa starting on the 20th. Can you (or anyone else) tell me what nights are the formal night(s) for Oceana on this cruise?

Thanks,

Barton

It was the sea days, so 2nd (en-route for Kotor) and 5th (after passing through the Mesinna Straits). I assume they don't do them on port days as people are tired from trips, etc.

It was the sea days, so 2nd (en-route for Kotor) and 5th (after passing through the Mesinna Straits). I assume they don't do them on port days as people are tired from trips, etc.

Ohh, that's changed then, thanks for that. Am pretty sure ours were the first sea day - 2nd evening to welcome everyone joining and the Monday evening, which I think was the Monday. Perhaps I got it wrong. Will keep an eye on that one re our dining bookings :-)

Not long for us to go now -- the 15 month wait is almost over !! :D:D

Edited by Presto2

Sorry, a bit concerned we 've booked the Café Jardin on the wrong night now. Does anyone who has done the Genoa to Venice part of this cruise know when the formal night was? Thanks

I have checked wth 'er indoors, who confirms the itinerary as follows:

Wednesday - Venice, Casual

Thursday - Sea Day en-route for Kotor, Formal

Friday - Kotor, Casual

Saturday - Corfu, Casual

Sunday - Straits of Messina, Formal

Monday - Rome, Casual

Tuesday - Ajaccio, Casual

So, as I thought, 2nd and 5th nights.

Went on this cruise in June and the formal days were on the sea days ie 2nd and 5th evening