You were right, but also wrong!

babs135

Just back from a fabulous 4 nights in New York. We managed a fair bit of what we wanted to do - the rest will simply mean that we have to return:) Not complaining on that.

On an earlier thread I was told that New York would be crazy over Christmas; sorry but this is where you were wrong - it was absolutely mental I've never seen so many people in one place in any one time and why did it always seem that they were walking the other way to us, causing us to 'dance' around everyone :D

Had a great time, but then it had started on a high note when we boarded the QM2 to discover we'd been upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony! Can't get much better than that.

Thanks for the help and advice you've given me

Just back from a fabulous 4 nights in New York. We managed a fair bit of what we wanted to do - the rest will simply mean that we have to return:) Not complaining on that.

On an earlier thread I was told that New York would be crazy over Christmas; sorry but this is where you were wrong - it was absolutely mental I've never seen so many people in one place in any one time and why did it always seem that they were walking the other way to us, causing us to 'dance' around everyone :D

Had a great time, but then it had started on a high note when we boarded the QM2 to discover we'd been upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony! Can't get much better than that.

Thanks for the help and advice you've given me

LOL Babs. :D Glad you enjoyed.

Missed this over the New Year's holiday!

You have to tell us what you were able to actually do! We were in town from Christmas to the 29th, and it may have been the craziest we've seen!

My mother, born and raised in NYC and living on Long Island for the past 60 years or so, went into the city on Dec 26. Even she said it was crazy. I reminded her it was the day after Christmas, and she insisted it was crazier than normal. She got to see the tree, but there were so many people "just stopping and taking pictures" that no one was moving.

Glad you enjoyed!

• 3 weeks later...
Missed this over the New Year's holiday!

You have to tell us what you were able to actually do! We were in town from Christmas to the 29th, and it may have been the craziest we've seen!

We were very pleased with the Sheraton Times Square Hotel. The position was perfect, the only grumble we had was that the double bed was probably the smallest double we've come across!!

We then went shopping for electronic gadgets - very happy at the price - and then to Macys but bought nothing and onto DSW shoes where we all bought trainers (sneakers) at half what they would cost us here in the UK. Managed a few Christmas windows but already the crowds were huge. A leisurely evening meal left us rather stuffed as we'd forgotten how big the portions can be.

Tuesday was the all day walking tour which started at the Federal Building which is very impressive and finished outside the Google Building. The guide was excellent and despite a larger number of people than expected he managed us on and off the subway without losing anyone! We stopped in Little Italy for lunch. We walked part of the High Line and even in the fading light we could get an idea of what it looks like in the warmer weather. Definitely took us out of our comfort zone as we wouldn't normally have explored half of where he took us. But we paid the price for all the walking by waking up on Wednesday very stiff.

Wednesday's weather was very wet and we were glad to reach Bloomingdales and dry off a little. DD bought some stuff here. We then discovered Dylan's Candy Store and WOW. DH went a little mad here and bought loads and loads of sweets and chocolate. Fortunately by the time we reached Tiffany's he had some money left and he bought me a rather nice necklace for my birthday :D We did a few more windows.

Thursday (Christmas Day) we did the Lower Eastside Walking Tour in the morning and although the guide wasn't as good as Tuesdays, it was very enjoyable. Didn't do much in the afternoon as crowds were really building up. In the evening we went into the M&M Shop and at one point they were stopping people coming in because it was so busy.

Friday we went to Central Park but got our times for leaving for the airport wrong and didn't get very far in which was a disappointment; but there's always next time.

We are now saving up for another visit, but have learned a number of lessons.

1) Not to go at Christmas again. A real experience, one everyone should try, but we've done it.

2) Definitely a ho-ho bus next time. We were truly exhausted with all the walking, or failing that, only a half-day walk.

3) Share evening meals. Portions are seriously huge.

4) Make more of an effort to see a show.

Didn't get to a show because we were busy all day. Food was excellent, especially the cheesecake.