Flying Into Newark

Beaferd

Family group of 5 adults and we are sailing in September this year and want to go early so we have time to do some sight seeing in New York. Will have 3 nights and we want to have just one room so am hoping for some suggestions as to where to stay. We are also hoping the hotel will have airport and cruise terminal transfers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Family group of 5 adults and we are sailing in September this year and want to go early so we have time to do some sight seeing in New York. Will have 3 nights and we want to have just one room so am hoping for some suggestions as to where to stay. We are also hoping the hotel will have airport and cruise terminal transfers.

Wyndham Garden Newark was nice. They have airport shuttle.

You may want to try the East Coast Departures boards.

We are going in Feb. I have the Embassy Suites Newark Airport booked. It has a shuttle to the airport, and is quite close to the port. Have not stayed up there before, but I like Embassy Suites, and for the price (I get a military rate) it can't be beat. It's fairly easy to get from the airport to the city, and since there is a shuttle to and from the airport, it should be quite convenient. In addition it is next to a huge outlet mall that has a number of places to eat.

I don't think there are any hotels that offer a pier shuttle. :confused:

I've searched and couldn't find any.

You would think that with a new terminal and a year round cruise ship that some hotels would offer that service.

Please come to the East Coast Board. Rooms for 5 are tricky. If you want to sightsee in NYC, don't hold your breath about hotel or Cruiseport shuttles if you also want convenient sightseeing. What are your exact dates and your hotel budget? Can you manage your luggage?

Having said all that, my first recommendation would be the Courtyard in Jersey City. Our family stayed there for three nights - Myself, DH, DS, DD, and 6 mo old DGD. We had a very large room with 2 Queens and a sofabed. TV, desk, Internet, and sink outside the toilet and bath. Bonus was a view of the top of the Freedom Tower. PATH entrance was next door to the hotel. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

From the airport it takes at least an hour each way from a hotel to Manhattan on the train and cost $25/pp rt. Jersey City is 10 minutes to downtown and 20 minutes to midtown on PATH for $2.65/pp each way.

Getting to the port is a separate discussion. There are public transit options from Jersey City.

we are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station, the hotel has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We looked at several other hotels and came back to Hilton. This hotel is connected via a walkway to Penn Station and has quick access to NY. you will need to make your own arrangements to get to the port, the hotel does not furnish that. I do not know the room capacity, but for 5 adults I would think you would want 2 connecting rooms. (especially for the 2 bathrooms)

We will fly in September 12th and our cruise leaves September 15th on the Serenade for a 10 day cruise. We want to spend one day in NYC and want to do the Statue of Liberty. Our hotel budget can be up to $200.00 per day but less is better.

We are considering using a group called Big Apple Greeters for the NYC sight seeing.

Edited by Beaferd

We will fly in September 12th and our cruise leaves September 15th on the Serenade for a 10 day cruise. We want to spend one day in NYC and want to do the Statue of Liberty. Our hotel budget can be up to $200.00 per day but less is better.

We are considering using a group called Big Apple Greeters for the NYC sight seeing.

$200 is a very tight budget for your dates. You need to balance overall time, money, and stress for your three days. Are you Seniors or AAA or AARP members?

You can book a room at the Courtyard Elizabeth for 5 for $773 tax included with two queens and a sofabed. You can book Springhill Suites for $535 or less tax included with two doubles and a sofabed. But as I said it will cost you up to $125/ day for transportation into the city taking an hour plus each way.

The Jersey City Courtyard is expensive for your dates, but the Doubletree offers a Jr suite with two doubles for $727 with AAA or senior rate. Transportation to the city is $26.50 rt for five people. It will take 20 to 30 minutes and involve walking several blocks to the PATH station and one train ride. If you stay at Newark Airport you will have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, Airtrain to the NJTransit station, and train to New York Penn Station or train to Newark Penn Station and PATH to World Trade Center for the Statue of Liberty.

There will be an added cost of a car Service from EWR to Jersey City. These folks can quote you a price for 5 that would be in the $60 range - Independent driver - 888-816-0973. If you can manage your luggage, you have the option of taking the light rail from Jersey City to Bayonne for $2.10/pp and calling Bayonne Taxi for a ride into the port. I'd get a quote from ID for that trip as well - should also be in the $60 range.

we are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station, the hotel has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We looked at several other hotels and came back to Hilton. This hotel is connected via a walkway to Penn Station and has quick access to NY. you will need to make your own arrangements to get to the port, the hotel does not furnish that. I do not know the room capacity, but for 5 adults I would think you would want 2 connecting rooms. (especially for the 2 bathrooms)

We use this hotel also and I can recommend. Have also stayed at the airport hotels but getting into NY from here is cheaper (as you don't pay the surcharge to take train to and fro airport) and easier as you don't need hotel shuttle to take you back to the airport to get the train.

There is a good outlet mall nearby too called Jersey gardens.

Jersey Gardens mall is in Elizabeth near the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way. The Newark Penn Station Hilton is in dowtown Newark across the street from Newark Penn Station. Unfortunately, the Hilton does not appear to offer rooms for 5 people, so you would have to call them to see if that is possible.

Edited by 138east

Thanks for all the input on this thread. We have found a good deal at Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth for a one bedroom suite for $183.00 a night. They provide airport and pier transfers.

You might want to double check that the price includes pier transfers, because they charge up to $35 per person for round trip pier transfers if purchased separately, so with a party of 5 people pier transfers alone would cost about what you were quoted for the room. Even if transfers are part of a discounted package the rate just sounds too low for 5 adults.

Pier transfer is $20.00 each extra for a one way transfer but it would be more, I think, to take 2 cabs to the pier with all our luggage. Even with that additional charge it is an acceptable amount to us. We depart the ship in Quebec so a one way is what we need.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973 Call these folks 4-6 weeks ahead and they will accommodate your group for about $60-65.

Country inns will be $659.14 including tax.

How many days are you going into NYC? Are you seniors? If you don't go into NYC both days, what are you going to do with yourselves at a Newark airport hotel? The one thing I didn't like about Country Inns was that the lobby seating area was very very small. They offer breakfast, but there are no other food services in the hotel. Basically the "hang out" space is super limited.

Did you look closely at the Doubletree in Jersey City? It offers so many more options for your group than an airport hotel. It costs more, but your costs of getting into the city are much less. The area is much nicer with a really good mall and a much wider choice of restaurants. There is a boardwalk promenade on the waterfront with spectacular views of downtown and the river.

I appreciate your input Carol but we are not going to pay $1500.00 for 3 nights at a hotel. It was my understanding that there is a nice mall close to our hotel that we can walk to and we will not be hanging out in the lobby of the Country Inn so no problem there.

As for the independent drivers, we have a guide already lined up unless we find something better.

Thanks again for all your help.

We are on the Quantum on Feb 2nd. I prepaid Hampton in Elizabeth before I realized that I might be better closer to restaurants. My question would be what is the best way to get to the port. Should we just get a taxi from the hotel or go back to the airport in the morning and take some other transportation to get there. Thanks.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the Doubletree. It's $727 for three nights in a Two room Jr. Suite with two double beds and a queen sofa bed. I would never recommend something that was more than twice your budget.

Another option is Embassy Suites in Secaucus for $691 AAA or senior rate. This would put you in a more "suburban" area with many more shops and restaurants and bus service to Port Authority in NYC. Embassy Suites offers free breakfast and some sort of cocktail time.

I have stayed in 5+ hotels at EWR including two nights at Country Inns. I have spent three nights at the Courtyard in Jersey City. I have not stayed in Secaucus, but my daughter has stayed there several times. For a group of 5 people coming in from another part of the country to spend three nights to "see" NYC and hang out at the hotel for one day, I would rank Jersey City first, then Secaucus, and then EWR.

We are on the Quantum on Feb 2nd. I prepaid Hampton in Elizabeth before I realized that I might be better closer to restaurants. My question would be what is the best way to get to the port. Should we just get a taxi from the hotel or go back to the airport in the morning and take some other transportation to get there. Thanks.

I believe the Hampton Inn is connected to the Residence Inn, which is full service.

You should arrange a taxi or car service from the hotel. No need to return to the airport terminals to get transportation. You can also call Independent driver - 888-816-0973 to get a quote from them.

I appreciate your input Carol but we are not going to pay $1500.00 for 3 nights at a hotel. It was my understanding that there is a nice mall close to our hotel that we can walk to and we will not be hanging out in the lobby of the Country Inn so no problem there.

As for the independent drivers, we have a guide already lined up unless we find something better.

Thanks again for all your help.

Carol's recommendation of Independent Driver is for transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty, not for a tour guide. Independent Driver should be less expensive for your group's transportation to the port than the $20 per person the hotel is charging.

I believe the Hampton Inn is connected to the Residence Inn, which is full service.

You should arrange a taxi or car service from the hotel. No need to return to the airport terminals to get transportation. You can also call Independent driver - 888-816-0973 to get a quote from them.

the hampton inn is adjacent to the renaissance....i do not think they are connected but you can walk between the two, though iirc a fence surrounds each parking lot.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks Meg! My bad. You are the Marriott property expert at EWR! Some other poster mentioned they were staying at the Hampton and you could walk to the "R" hotel next door.

Anyway it looks like the two properties are close, but....actually walking between the two might be tricky. Perhaps someone has done this.

Thanks Meg! My bad. You are the Marriott property expert at EWR! Some other poster mentioned they were staying at the Hampton and you could walk to the "R" hotel next door.

Anyway it looks like the two properties are close, but....actually walking between the two might be tricky. Perhaps someone has done this.

Thanks so much for your help. I will look into getting a taxi.

I will check into all recommendations from everyone. It is easy at times to take texted information in the wrong context. Sorry if I got a bit short with mine. Carol I do really appreciate you trying to help us since none of us have ever been into that part of the US and we do want to make the best of our time there. We can cancel our reservation at Country Inn without penalty if it comes to that.

Please post back. I just want you to make an informed decision. I just don't see spending one of your valuable vacation days at Newark Airport in the Jersey Gardens Mall without considering some of the other available options.