Extra Spanish tax if cruise departs Barcelona?

firstcarib

Hi, does anyone please have up to date info on whether there is extra 10% or even extra 21% tax paid on all on board purchases if the cruise departs from a Spanish port? Ive been told this will apply even once we leave Spanish waters! As we are on a Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Tampa this could work out to be a real issue:eek:

Hi, does anyone please have up to date info on whether there is extra 10% or even extra 21% tax paid on all on board purchases if the cruise departs from a Spanish port? Ive been told this will apply even once we leave Spanish waters! As we are on a Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Tampa this could work out to be a real issue:eek:

I would think if you are doing a TA it would apply only in Spanish waters.so would put off purchasing anything until in international waters.this would include drinks packages etc.

I checked into this myself, only applies on cruises leave and return to Spain .. when you are on a TA .... you have other than Spain ports.

I checked into this myself, only applies on cruises leave and return to Spain .. when you are on a TA .... you have other than Spain ports.

More precisely, pris, it only applies to cruises which start, visit, and return to only EU (as oppose to Spanish) ports.

Part of the reason for including ports like Gibraltar, Turkey, Tunisia (yes, Tunisia is now back on some itineraries), The Channel Islands, Albania or Montenegro etc is that they're not in the EU economic zone, hence no cruise-long tax on drinks etc served on-board.

Since Florida is not (yet :D) in the EU, no worries for the OP. :)

JB :)

Thanks everyone, I will see what happens onboard & post again. A friend of mine was on a RCCL cruise that left from Barcelona & returned there & she was charged this extra tax on a spa purchase she made whilst at a port in Italy!! I did call ncl to ask, but got the impression the guy I spoke to didnt really know the answer!:eek: He said the tax would apply on the whole cruise, even though it goes across the Pond to Tampa!! I am really hoping he is wrong!!:D

Thanks everyone, I will see what happens onboard & post again. A friend of mine was on a RCCL cruise that left from Barcelona & returned there & she was charged this extra tax on a spa purchase she made whilst at a port in Italy!!

More precisely, pris, it only applies to cruises which start, visit, and return to only EU (as oppose to Spanish) ports.

JB :)

Your friend was traveling on a cruise completely within the EU (Italy is a member) as John Bull explained. You will not be.