Upgrade from studio to balcony?

kimber7095

Has anyone ever done this? I realize you would lose the access to solo cruiser living room etc.

Any last minute upgrade offers that are worth it to have the balcony?

Thanks!

Kim

Hi. I got an upsell on the Getaway from a solo to a balcony one time, and the difference in the cost was so negligible that it was well worth it. And actually as a solo cruiser, regardless of your cabin type, you don't lose complete access to the solo lounge. You're still allowed in for the official gatherings, like the get togethers before meals. You just don't have 24 hour access to it. If you end up with a balcony, just let the cruise director know that you're solo so that you can arrange access for the group meetings.

My first time on the Epic, I upgraded from a Studio to a balcony for about $30. However, during the 7 day cruise, I must have spent a total of 15 minutes on the balcony. I just don't stay in the cabin that long except for sleeping. However, being able to have sunlight was a benefit. All depends on what makes you happy.

Edited by IrieBajan54

My first time on the Epic, I upgraded from a Studio to a balcony for about $30. However, during the 7 day cruise, I must have spent a total of 15 minutes on the balcony. I just don't stay in the cabin that long except for sleeping. However, being able to have sunlight was a benefit. All depends on what makes you happy.

I had a similar experience on the Breakaway-

I had a studio on the Epic and loved it.

The first time on the Breakaway I paid $100 to ugprade ($1000 to $1100)

The second time I paid $250 to upgrade (studio had been $550 and then balcony was $800)

Both times I called 7-10 days before the cruise so I would encourage you to do the same.

I did find that I didn't spend time on the balcony either- but the perk was having sunlight and extra room to unpack.

I was still able to get into the studio area for the gathering- in fact both times I picked a room near the entrance- one time it was difficult to get in but I always found someone to get me in.

The upgrade cost is typically what the current price of the balcony is for single occupancy minus what you paid for the studio. Note that in the offseason often there was not a single supplement which made balconies cheaper last minute.

For me, for $100-$200 it is a no brainer. However, i still had as great a cruise not having a balcony

• 2 weeks later...

I was randomly offered an upsell from a studio to a balcony for my Escape cruise in November for $100. Three days before the cruise. The e-mail came as quite a surprise. lol

Was it worth it? You betcha! I am so glad I took the upgrade, because having a balcony (not to mention the extra space in the room and a full bathroom!) was amazing. It spoiled me for my future cruises. haha

I may not have been in the room much during the day, but my favorite thing about the balcony was sitting out there at night, listening to the waves and watching the stars. That is now my "happy place," whenever I need to escape the stresses of real life. I just imagine myself back on that balcony at nighttime...*sigh*...

So yeah, if you get the chance to upgrade, do it! Like the others have said, I was still able to attend the solo gatherings and I still went to dinner with the other solos, etc. I really didn't miss having access to the lounge.

I only want a balcony depending on the trip and what I would see during the trip.

When I did the Alaska trip I loved the balcony because of constant views available, the same for my Southern Caribbean trip because every single day we pulled into a new port. There is nothing like seeing a new port as you pull in that morning, or leaving port as the sun sets.

On the other-hand we did a 14 day cruise with only 5 stops, while we were Ocean-View that trip seeing nothing but water, water and water most of the time I am sure that a balcony would not have added much to the trip.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

• 2 weeks later...
I only want a balcony depending on the trip and what I would see during the trip.

When I did the Alaska trip I loved the balcony because of constant views available, the same for my Southern Caribbean trip because every single day we pulled into a new port. There is nothing like seeing a new port as you pull in that morning, or leaving port as the sun sets.

On the other-hand we did a 14 day cruise with only 5 stops, while we were Ocean-View that trip seeing nothing but water, water and water most of the time I am sure that a balcony would not have added much to the trip.

Now, my perspective is just the opposite. I would happily upgrade to a balcony on a cruise with lots of sea days, but for a port-intensive cruise, it would have to be a really good deal for me to upgrade from a studio. It's probably because I get a spa pass for the duration of the cruise and on port intensive cruises, I spend evenings in the spa. I have some arthritis that makes the really busy cruises a painful proposition without a spa pass. :o

For those of you who updated from the studio to the balcony- (both for upgrade and upsell)- did you keep your original promos when you booked?

I booked a studio for this December last December and at the time received both the UDP and the 4 meal SDP. The prior 2 times that I had upgraded from studios to balconies I had no promos to begin with.

For those of you who updated from the studio to the balcony- (both for upgrade and upsell)- did you keep your original promos when you booked

My studio came with just 1 promo when I booked in April, I went with drink package. When I upgraded this week to a balcony I was able to get 2 promos, drinks and dining. The dining promo came with just 3 meals, not 4. Not sure if I was able to "keep" the promo and add on or if NCL considers it a new booking and your promos are based on current offers.

I do see the current promos end in 3 days.

Edited by mkbnoc

For those of you who updated from the studio to the balcony- (both for upgrade and upsell)- did you keep your original promos when you booked?

I booked a studio for this December last December and at the time received both the UDP and the 4 meal SDP. The prior 2 times that I had upgraded from studios to balconies I had no promos to begin with.

I had booked my Escape cruise when there was a promo offering $100 OBC. When I did the upsell into the balcony, I did keep the $100 OBC and I also still got the extra latitudes points for booking more than 9 months out. They just changed the room number, so it didn't affect anything else on my booking.

I have a studio on Escape for my March 2017 cruise. So far, an upgrade to a balcony cabin is $1,000+:(. Hopefully, the closer we get to the sailing date, the price will decrease then I'm getting a balcony! I do love sitting on the balcony having my coffee and late night cocktail.:D

Thanks dreamr and mkbnoc- I am going to check with them then 7-10 days before my sailing as that is when I have had the most luck in the past.

You might want to check almost daily once you get within those last few weeks. I saw on Tuesday of this week the Escape sailing for this coming Sat had balconies down to $649 for an 8 day cruise. The next morning that rate was gone. Anyone that jumped on that rate got a great deal!