First Thoughts - Alaska Shadow 6/30-7/10

south seas sue

Thought I would share my impressions of this cruise, having taken this same itinerary 5 years ago with my husband. This time I traveled with my daughter.......

Our pre-cruise was spent at the Pan Pacific Hotel, on top of the Cruise Center........we had one full day, and enjoyed the Acquarium at Stanley Park, and lunch at the Tea Room. It was a beautiful day. We dined one night at the Bistro Pastis, and had a lovely French meal.

Post cruise we again toured Vancouver as our flight did not leave until 7:00 p.m. Our bags were taken by a porter back to the Pan Pacific, and stored until we were ready to cab to the airport. We spent part of the day at Granville Island, which is a wonderful place with food markets, and lots of special shops and artisan workshops. Had a glorious lunch at the Sandbar Restaurant on the Island, with a spectacular view of Vancouver Harbor.

Weather

I know its the luck of the draw here, and we had wonderful weather, especially for the sail into Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glacier. Calm seas, and the Captain took the Inside Passage all the way back as well - so we were in protected waters all the time.

Butler

This is a new feature for us, and it is a winner! Our Butler was delightful, and always helpful - he often brought the room service, made sure our suite was immaculate, and continuously offered to do whatever extra chores we might have. I have noticed the staff ethnicity has changed over the years, and most of the butlers on this cruise were from India.

On-Board Activities

I liked the quartet. The musicians were all from the Phillipines, including the quartet and a duo (piano and singer). The quartet supported a number of occasions, including playing for the Lounge Shows, and for dancing. Did not like the duo - the piano player was okay, but the singer - well, its a matter of taste of course, but I did not like her voice/style.

The Artists of Silversea were 6 classically trained singers, and they were wonderful. As DucTape has reported, their pre-dinner opera show, and their regular Opera Show after dinner was wonderful! I only attended the Opera shows, and a show featuring songs by Bacharach and David, but people seemed to enjoy all of the showroom presentations.

There was a cooking demonstration, and a wine tasting with the head sommelier, and probably other activities I don't remember. I played Trivia every afternoon, and really enjoyed that. Loved the Cruise Director, Don Fluke - he was funny, good natured, and very friendly. In general, I thought it was a very convivial ship. People were friendly, and each night my daughter and I had interesting and well travelled dinner companions.

The Destination Expert Nikki Sepsis was absolutely marvelous! His lectures on the Gold Rush, the Wildlife, and the Pipeline were wonderfully informative and entertaining. It was a real plus to have them available many times on TV. Such an experienced and well-travelled man! We were fortunate enough to dine with him twice on the trip, and heard about his adventures as a cruise lecturer (and Gentleman Dance Host as well it turns out!)

Tours

Can't say much about these - there were so many to choose from! We did take a wildlife search boat trip, a boat to Misty Fjords, and the Railway in Skagway, and enjoyed them all.

Dress Code - There were 2 formal nights, 2 informal, and the rest were informal. I believe there are more casual nights on the Alaskan cruises then for the other itineraries.

The food and service were impeccable. We dined at Le Champagne, and enjoyed food we would not have had otherwise - like caviar and foi gras. My main course that evening was pigeon, and my daughter had venison.

Anyone have any questions, feel free.

A number of posts/reviews have suggested that the ship itself is in rather shabby condition and is in need of work in a dry dock.

Do you have some impressions of the condition of the ship.

You said that you had done this itinerary previously. On Silversea? Etc.

Thanks.

A number of posts/reviews have suggested that the ship itself is in rather shabby condition and is in need of work in a dry dock.

Do you have some impressions of the condition of the ship.

You said that you had done this itinerary previously. On Silversea? Etc.

Thanks.

Being on board the Shadow just now, I have to say the ship is in perfect condition, also compared to the many Silversea Cruises we had in the past. Service and food are just great!

Yes, I sailed this almost exact itinerary on SS 5 years ago. The difference was we stopped in Wrangel, and not in Prince Rupert Island. Otherwise, the same ports and cruise length. I didn't recognize any of the staff! of course my memory is faulty, but it seemed to me all of the main staff had changed.

I really felt the ship to be in the same beautiful shape I remembered from 5 years ago. Sure, the carpet was a bit worn in some of the high traffic areas, but that is indeed all I noticed. The brass and the glass gleamed! Some of the deck furniture has changed, and they have these canopy chaises now, and the Hot Rocks alternative for dining. As it could get a bit chilly in the evening, we did not partake of the hot rocks dining option.

Glenda