Dream questions

Nolalife

Hi,

Were sailing on the dream in two weeks, I have two teenagers that need WiFi

1} How does the Carnival Hub work & do you need WiFi to use it?

2}Is the premium WiFi package worth the price?

3} Has anyone only put cash on their sail and sign card and can you limit use for the teenagers?

Thanks for any help;)

What are the teens needing Internet for? That should answer the question as to which package to get. If it is for gaming, speeds make it close to impossible. If it is to stay in touch with home the best is the lowest package and we just use Facebook. This is a cruise in the middle of the ocean, they will have plenty to do.

The HUB is on their free WiFi and if you use the chat feature to talk to each other it is $5 pp for the week.

You CAN limit their spending. There are different ways to do this. Put it all in at once or add to it daily either at GS or the kiosk. If you do the later make sure you increase the amount each day. Not just put it on unless you do it in cash. There are a few threads on this.

Have a great trip! We are 5 weeks out from Dream ourselves!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

The HUB app doesn't require the wifi package, only a $5 charge per person for the chat feature.

Personally, I don't think there's much difference in speed on the premium package, from my experience. I think if they just want to keep in touch with friends back home, the social package would be fine. It allows access to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Whatsapp, and sometimes even iMessage. If they are going to get the package, be sure to buy online beforehand to save a few bucks.

I believe there is a way to setup spending limits on their sail/sign card, but I have no idea what that process is.

Enjoy the Dream!

We don't do the internet packages as we have Verizon and came home to over $200.00 in roaming fees, so we tell our teens they have to live for a week without phones. I'm sure there is a way around roaming fees, but I'm not chancing it anymore. My sister in law has a Track phone, so she bought the cheap $5.00/day internet and she was able to text and do Facebook stuff.

As for spending money, we set our kids up with cash accounts in day 1 of the cruise, they each have a limit and we add to their accounts as needed throughout the cruise. The last cruise we went on, they mistakenly put our kids on our credit card, but we got that resolved quickly.

Just remember to put those phones into airplane mode to avoid surprise cellular charges when you get home.

The HUB app is free to use, just turn the wifi back on for your phone and connect to the ship's wifi. If you want to be able to use the messaging feature, it is $5 per device for the entire cruise.

See notes above about the wifi packages. We have used the Social Media Plan and been pleased with it.

Just remember to put those phones into airplane mode to avoid surprise cellular charges when you get home.

The HUB app is free to use, just turn the wifi back on for your phone and connect to the ship's wifi. If you want to be able to use the messaging feature, it is $5 per device for the entire cruise.

See notes above about the wifi packages. We have used the Social Media Plan and been pleased with it.

Yeah some people still don't get that, you can turn on wifi while in airplane mode.

We don't do the internet packages as we have Verizon and came home to over $200.00 in roaming fees, so we tell our teens they have to live for a week without phones. I'm sure there is a way around roaming fees, but I'm not chancing it anymore. My sister in law has a Track phone, so she bought the cheap $5.00/day internet and she was able to text and do Facebook stuff.

As for spending money, we set our kids up with cash accounts in day 1 of the cruise, they each have a limit and we add to their accounts as needed throughout the cruise. The last cruise we went on, they mistakenly put our kids on our credit card, but we got that resolved quickly.

Your Trackphone will be useless at sea, no phone, no internet. I would check Trackphone if they even have a signal in a foreign country. You could go to an internet Cafe somewhere and use their wifi. You should bring your Verizon phones and get an international plan, very reasonable. As everyone has said, turn off data roaming, no unexpected bills when you get home.

I will probably not get the premium WiFi since its not any faster, they only need to access snap chat and a few other apps.

We will try the hub to communicate...

Thanks for the help