Breakfast & lunch at Cagneys

We were just on the Gem (4/12 sailing) and had the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perks. The breakfasts were fantastic. It's the same menu every day (there's a link hopefully someone can repost), and it's "premium" foods like amazing steak (filet mignon) and eggs, crab cakes eggs benedict, great french toast and pancakes with fruit toppings or walnut butter and other things you won't get in the regular dining room.

There is no cover charge except for fresh squeezed juices or morning alcohol drinks like a mamosa or bloody mary, but the regular juices they have are like regular OJ, probably from concentrate, but much better than the "orange drink" they have in the regular areas.

The french toast and pancake dishes are a little small, if you're a big eater or want to load up before a day off-ship, I would order either a double order (they're happy to oblige) or get a side of eggs or something.

We only did the lunch once, and it seemed to be similar to the dining room menu, with the addition of one or two extra items each day. The one day we compared, the Cagney's lunch had an added gulf shrimp appetizer, and an added 10 oz strip steak entree option. You will get much more personal service in the cagney's lunch, though, since it seems not too many people use that option, compared to a full dining room or a super-hectic buffet.

We sailed in an AB on the Pearl last August to Alaska, and Cagney's breakfasts were one of our favourite things about the trip!

The service was amazing and the food was delicious every day. They were very accomodating and when one of my daughters asked for "raspberries and kiwi" instead of a fruit plate, she got exactly what she asked for. The lunch was also excellent. There was no cover charge for either meal.

I recently booked an AF mini suite on the Gem for March 2009, and was told that with the new Freestyle 2.0, people in cabins AF or above would be given the opportunity to eat at Cagneys for breakfast and lunch if they paid a cover charge. I hope that is true, because I would be happy to pay for breakfast there a few times on the cruise.

breakfast there is amazing, we went 6 out of the 7 days, we only went once for lunch, we saw the menu and its a bit different for lunch, steak & egss for breakfast if you want, the service is also outstanding too. The french toast & pancakes are very good, small portion if you only want that but I asked for double the next time & got it, also accomodating if they don't have something on the menu that you want, although its all breakfast type stuff, but fancier (or plain if you want) in a nice setting with a great wait staff. I highly recommend using this perk, I wish we would have went to more lunches but we either weren't hungry or were in port. No surcharge.

Depends on the ship too I suppose - On the Jade we had tables for two and up to 8 - I would imagine if the tables for two are full you may have to share - but didn't have that problem at all during our cruise. Breakfast was wonderful - I didnt care for the crab cake under the egg with the eggs benedict -it was getting soggy, so I just slipped the crab cake out from under and munched away. Very good, just not a combination that I cared for. Note that your juice is included with you breakfast (for suites and villas) however, if you want juice at lunch there is a fee for it (I think it was 3.50 or so) Weird. Not sure why, as juice was always available in the Courtyard area at no charge for those passengers with access to the courtyard. Not sure how it works with the pay as you go with Cagney's as it wasn't available on our cruise that I'm aware of.

We sailed in an AB on the Pearl last August to Alaska, and Cagney's breakfasts were one of our favourite things about the trip!

The service was amazing and the food was delicious every day. They were very accomodating and when one of my daughters asked for "raspberries and kiwi" instead of a fruit plate, she got exactly what she asked for. The lunch was also excellent. There was no cover charge for either meal.

I recently booked an AF mini suite on the Gem for March 2009, and was told that with the new Freestyle 2.0, people in cabins AF or above would be given the opportunity to eat at Cagneys for breakfast and lunch if they paid a cover charge. I hope that is true, because I would be happy to pay for breakfast there a few times on the cruise.

Do you remember where you heard that mini suites could have Cagneys breakfast at a supplement?

you sat at your own table, it was never full either, but I doubt that they would put you together. the OJ though was better than the "tang orange drink" given elsewhere, but I got apple juice in the morning for no fee. You also don't sit in the main cagney's restaurant but its the other part, but its just to the left of it (I think they use it if cagney's gets full?) and you see the pool area, although you can't see in

It was an agent from NCL that told me that the mini-suites (AF on the Gem) would be able to eat at Cagney's with a cover charge for breakfast and dinner. She listed all the new "perks" with the 2.0 and that was one that I questioned her about as soon as she mentioned it.

I really do hope this turns out to be something that they start doing. (I'd hate to have to upgrade my cabin just to get a Cagney's breakfast!LOL)

I thought that space would be limited as well... although when we ate breakfast and lunch there (with the AB suite) before it was never full, and they were only using one "section" of the restaurant, behind the Star Bar.

I was thinking perhaps they would do it by reservations only in the other section of the restaurant for the mini-suites??? It has the potential to work, doesn't it? (have I really been too gullible?)

Wishful thinking maybe, but I really hope I wasn't given the wrong information. (although it's happened before!LOL)

On the explanation of the 2.0 freestyle it does mention under: "They don't call it suite life for nothin' "

The A-list of Dining - Enjoy a special breakfast, breakfast buffet or VIP lunch at our popular steakhouse, Cagney's. We're even putting food action stations in our private Courtyard Areas, cooking your favorites - made to order. (Jewel Class Ships only)

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=F2#freestyle2.0

It's not very clear if it's all suites, or just certain levels.

We were just on the Gem (4/12 sailing) and had the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perks. The breakfasts were fantastic. It's the same menu every day (there's a link hopefully someone can repost), and it's "premium" foods like amazing steak (filet mignon) and eggs, crab cakes eggs benedict, great french toast and pancakes with fruit toppings or walnut butter and other things you won't get in the regular dining room.

There is no cover charge except for fresh squeezed juices or morning alcohol drinks like a mamosa or bloody mary, but the regular juices they have are like regular OJ, probably from concentrate, but much better than the "orange drink" they have in the regular areas.

The french toast and pancake dishes are a little small, if you're a big eater or want to load up before a day off-ship, I would order either a double order (they're happy to oblige) or get a side of eggs or something.

We only did the lunch once, and it seemed to be similar to the dining room menu, with the addition of one or two extra items each day. The one day we compared, the Cagney's lunch had an added gulf shrimp appetizer, and an added 10 oz strip steak entree option. You will get much more personal service in the cagney's lunch, though, since it seems not too many people use that option, compared to a full dining room or a super-hectic buffet.

Thanks, looks as though we'll be having a few breakfasts there at least. I'm also hoping for some crispy american bacon. Its always undercooked over here in Oz.

We've booked the penthouse on the Star in December and heard that you have the option of dining in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. How different is this to what else is on offer in the other restaurants? Is there a cover charge?

Everyone was so busy telling you about their experiences on Jewel class ships, they forgot to answer your question - - - Cagney's is not an option that is offered on the Star or the Dawn (or Spirit).

Sorry about that.

Everyone was so busy telling you about their experiences on Jewel class ships, they forgot to answer your question - - - Cagney's is not an option that is offered on the Star or the Dawn (or Spirit).

Sorry about that.

It is or will be soon on the Dawn, Star, Spirit. I think the Dawn starts this week. All part of Freestyle 2.0

Sorry about that.

It is now offered on the Dawn beginning with the 4/20 sailing. It went very well, both the food and service was excellent. A great perk from 2.0

Duke

It is now offered on the Dawn beginning with the 4/20 sailing. It went very well, both the food and service was excellent. A great perk from 2.0

Duke

Is this offered on the Dawn now at no extra charge to suite guests and/or is this the charged breakfast which is being offered with drinks, such as mimosas included, which anyone on board can go to? Thanks for the clarification.

oh another perk if you don't want to go to cagney's for breakfast - your butler can bring you whatever you want for breakfast (even if not on the menu) he'll tell you that but just so you know ahead of time, you just write it on the card - card is just for the morning - that you hang on the door, any style eggs - I wanted lox - he brought a nice made up plate for that, whatever, for lunch we ordered stuff not on the menu or really adjusted it. great perk too!

Is this offered on the Dawn now at no extra charge to suite guests and/or is this the charged breakfast which is being offered with drinks, such as mimosas included, which anyone on board can go to? Thanks for the clarification.

Yes it is. Suite guests, as a new perk of freestyle 2.0, on Dawn and Star will have a complimentary Cagney's breakfast & lunch offered. On the Sun Il Adagio now offers the same for suite guests.

The charged breakfast w/mimosas or bloody mary's for $15 is in teppanyaki and is open to all pax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Family From Down Under

I'm also hoping for some crispy american bacon. Its always undercooked over here in Oz.

Quote:

NCL makes THE BEST bacon! I've told them they need to teach the other cruise lines how to cook the bacon. yummy! BTW: the only time I eat bacon is on a cruise ...

~d

Dianne (& Bill ... who lurks)

Had to laugh – as a person born and raised in the UK who has been living in the U.S. for nearly 20 years I am really looking forward to Cagney’s breakfasts on our upcoming Jade cruise around the Med. A real bonus for me (at least I hope), is that as the ship is leaving from Southampton they will be provisioning her with English (ok really Danish or Irish) bacon and pork bangers!