I didn't know this

greatam

Singapore flies JFK/FRA/SIN with 5th Freedom rights to FRA

I just looked at the prices. NOT bad for one of the best airlines in the world. May be something to look at with all the excellent train connections out of FRA to most of Europe.

$843 RT coach, $2156 business JFK/FRA on Nov. 22, return Dec 1.

Just another option to Europe if you have the time to take the train to your port.

[quote name='greatam']Singapore flies JFK/FRA/SIN with 5th Freedom rights to FRA

I just looked at the prices. NOT bad for one of the best airlines in the world. May be something to look at with all the excellent train connections out of FRA to most of Europe.

$843 RT coach, $2156 business JFK/FRA on Nov. 22, return Dec 1.

Just another option to Europe if you have the time to take the train to your port.[/quote]
SQ has an around-the-world product using only SQ metal for $5299 in business ex-USA.

[quote name='Gardyloo']SQ has an around-the-world product using only SQ metal for $5299 in business ex-USA.[/QUOTE]

Thanks-I had no idea SQ had such decent prices until this morning. The few times I have looked at business class to Asia it has been sky high.

We have a large trade show in London in April as well as a smaller trade fair in November. Have about 65 tickets to book for various customers and their reps attending the trade show and about 35 tickets for the trade fair (which is really three expos in London, Munich and Zurich). Some wanted to see a little bit of Europe before/after the trade show. And since the trade fair is over Thanksgiving, most of them had extra time.

So we were sitting in the office trying to figure out where to leave luggage and trade show stuff, how to move these people around to give them a decent mini vacation without sticking them all on RyanAir and still keep within their corporate budgets. One of the dispatchers found that JFK/FRA flight at a very reasonable price.

I thought I was pretty saavy on the 5th Freedom flights which can be great bargains but SQ through Frankfurt was a surprise. And unless I am thinking of the wrong airport, FRA has a HUGE rail station under the airport with connections to most of Europe.

Now to figure out what to do with those SQ miles because their RTW flights are definitely a bargain. Can you point me to more info? Do they have a routing guide or do you have to do it manually over the phone? Thanks for any help

[quote name='greatam']Thanks-I had no idea SQ had such decent prices until this morning. The few times I have looked at business class to Asia it has been sky high.

We have a large trade show in London in April as well as a smaller trade fair in November. Have about 65 tickets to book for various customers and their reps attending the trade show and about 35 tickets for the trade fair (which is really three expos in London, Munich and Zurich). Some wanted to see a little bit of Europe before/after the trade show. And since the trade fair is over Thanksgiving, most of them had extra time.

So we were sitting in the office trying to figure out where to leave luggage and trade show stuff, how to move these people around to give them a decent mini vacation without sticking them all on RyanAir and still keep within their corporate budgets. One of the dispatchers found that JFK/FRA flight at a very reasonable price.

I thought I was pretty saavy on the 5th Freedom flights which can be great bargains but SQ through Frankfurt was a surprise. And unless I am thinking of the wrong airport, FRA has a HUGE rail station under the airport with connections to most of Europe.

Now to figure out what to do with those SQ miles because their RTW flights are definitely a bargain. Can you point me to more info? Do they have a routing guide or do you have to do it manually over the phone? Thanks for any help[/quote]
The fare code is CEZSQ and the rules used to be online at Expert Flyer, but they're not there now, so you'll have to phone.

Basically it's a pretty straightforward route, JFK-FRA, then anywhere in Europe to SIN, then (if I recall) one second pass through SIN allowed (hence one RT within Asia) then back to N. America. There are big surcharges (like $1000) to use the ultra-long hauls like SIN-LAX or SIN-EWR, otherwise you go SIN-NRT-LAX or SIN-HKG-SFO or SIN-ICN-SFO, etc. (SQ has a lot of 5th Freedom flights transpac.) And then you'd have to make your way across the US back to NYC. Australia/NZ and South Africa are out of bounds. Unlimited stopovers, ticket good for a year IIRC.

Still, it's a pretty good deal. SQ used to offer it in first class, for under seven grand. Now THAT was something. [URL]http://ptn-onboard.blogspot.com/2011/04/singapore-airlines-first-class-new-york.html[/URL]

[quote name='Novastar']What is 5th Freedom?

Why the term SkyPesos?[/quote]
Here is a list of the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air#Fifth_freedom"]Freedoms of the Air[/URL]. Scroll down to the "Fifth"

Sky pesos is a term coined by air travel blogger [URL="http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/?s=sky%20pesos"]Gary Leff[/URL] to indicate that he believes that Delta's mileage points have less value than those of the other major airlines (not living in Atlanta, I agree with him).

Thank you SFCAcruiser. Explanation much appreciated. Somewhat sad to hear that my half million "SkyPesos" are thought to be not worth as much as they could be on other airlines, but Delta is my carrier of choice and I'm sticking with it!

FWIW, Leff believes that DL SkyPesos are quite valuable for travel to/from Tahiti and also to Australia. DL can be used on both AirFrance and Air Tahiti Nui to PPT, and with DL and Virgin Australia to Oz.

Elsewhere....well, let's say that they often require more "work" than other programs. But, I have been able to use them to get out of Manaus on miles, out of the Seychelles and into Cape Town. And no....I didn't just put in two cities and voila!!

Archived