Shipwreck at Governor's gone?

digitalknoll

Hi Guys,

My group and I will be in GT this coming January and were planning on relaxing at Governor's beach. One of the draws of this beach was the beached shipwreck I've seen in pictures. After looking at online maps (satellite view), Google shows the shipwreck, but Bing and Apple maps do not. This is not a deal breaker against not going to that beach, but I'm curious if it's there or not. Anyone been lately?

Thanks in advance

-DK

• 2 weeks later...
Mitsugirly,

The pier in your photos is the one just past Jacks - right? Can you walk along the beach past Jack's and that pier to get to Governor Beach? Or is that closed off at the pier?

Yes, that pier is just past Jack's down the beach but I believe that I read (prior to the time we went) that you actually have to walk out to the street and down to get to Governors. We didn't try it since we went by golf carts.

Hopefully someone can answer you 100% with more knowledge. :)

**edit** Wait, looking at google earth, it appears that there's another long pier before this one at Governors. So, there's 2 piers.

Edited by mitsugirly

I was at Grand Turk a few weeks ago and can confirm that the shipwreck is still there.

The good folks at Jack's Shack told me that it had been wrecked onshore during a hurricane many years ago now and the ship owner never came up with the cash to have it moved or scrapped, so there it stays, probably forever...or until the next big hurricane. I noticed that there appeared to be a line running to it from a nearby post that I didn't remember from before.

The bonus is that it should help with coral growth at Governors Beach.

As for accessing Governors Beach from the beach and Jacks, yes, unfortunately you have to walk back out to the road and down again; you're not allowed to walk under that pier.