Things to do near shore in Montego Bay

jtwanabe

Not a safe place to out on your own , Nothing in walking distance , Margaritaville is across the bay . Take only approved taxi's , There is usually a Jamaica safety talk on the ship the night before you get there. Places you and I would go to have armed police with M-16's to keep the residents out.

Even Margarittaville..

You could see what the excursions are like for Doctor's Cave Beach. There should be a restaurant/bar there and likely there are shuttle going back and forth between the beach and port.

The port area where the ship docks is the free zone, There isn't much around there and in the terminal building there are a variety of shops selling everything you can get outside. I have found the terminal building has the best price for coffee, spices, and rum!

If you want to check out the strip, ask about what cabs are OK and hop in and check the strip out. You can see the ship from the strip. Margaritaville an obvious place to go.

Doctor Cave's beach on the strip will cost $6 for admission, and there are a few beachfront restaurants where you can hang out and grab a bite. I did a land vacay here before Sandals converted the Beaches property. It was the same month that the Jamaican racer Bolt was winning the Olympics, it was fun to see the national pride of the locals. It was perfectly safe to walk the Strip in the daytime then. Sure I got asked about weed and dates, but hey, I can handle myself growing up in da Bronx.

Secret: If you want good snorkeling, swim out past the raft and have a great look at the reef and lots of local fish.

Edited by evandbob

• 2 weeks later...
You could see what the excursions are like for Doctor's Cave Beach. There should be a restaurant/bar there and likely there are shuttle going back and forth between the beach and port.

The port area where the ship docks is the free zone, There isn't much around there and in the terminal building there are a variety of shops selling everything you can get outside. I have found the terminal building has the best price for coffee, spices, and rum!

If you want to check out the strip, ask about what cabs are OK and hop in and check the strip out. You can see the ship from the strip. Margaritaville an obvious place to go.

We are taking a ship's excursion to Doctors Cave beach ...but also interested in coffee and spuces..Is it one large store inside the port or severa?l...nothing fancy needed just local coffee and spices

thanks