Secret Falls/Irie Blue Hole

Mac9624

Has anyone done this excursion that can tell us what to expect? Maybe some pics of the area. I have seen some where they are swimming in a pool below a falls. Also would it be possible to combine with Rafting the Martha Brae. (Close to one another?)

We went to Irie Blue Hole in April and loved it! Its fantastic for thrill seekers as they can jump and dive off the falls into the water. If that's not your thing the wonderful guides can help you get to the beautiful swimming holes without jumping. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in all of my travels. As the cruise lines do not currently (and I hope thy never do!) offer it as part of their excursions it does not get overrun and crowded. When we went there were at the most maybe 20 people there and we had our own set of three guides that stayed with us the entire time. You can do the rafting as well. I highly suggest contacting Courtney Taylor as he can put together the trip you are seeking. For our group, we did Irie Blue hole, shopping, lunch at Scotchies and an island tour. He charged $35 per person for his service, plus there is a $15 per person at Irie Blue Hole. One of our best days on a cruise ever.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

Has anyone done this excursion that can tell us what to expect? Maybe some pics of the area. I have seen some where they are swimming in a pool below a falls. Also would it be possible to combine with Rafting the Martha Brae. (Close to one another?)

Expect tons of fun & very few people. Was there in April & we only saw around 10 other people the entire two hours. Here's some pics ... http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g147312-d1997485-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Martha Brae and Irie Blue Hole Are quite a distance from each other. Doable but would be a stretch. I think we spent 2-3 hours at the Blue Hole and enjoyed every minute of it. There were 8 of us so it took a while but it was the most fun I have ever had on an excursion. Do it call Courtney Taylor and he will hook you up.

Just getting off the ship may be an option, but I highly, highly recommend Courtney Taylor. He has been at this for quite some time and knows what he is doing, plus he's a fabulous guide and just a darn nice man.

we are off to jamaica very soon on a cruise and would like to try and contact Courtney - can you give me any further information on him or the company he represents please? Nicola

• 7 months later...

Irie Blue Hole will be the excursion you talk about with everyone back home. It is exciting, beautiful, risky and FUN. This is not for the fearful or those who don't take risks.

We are a group of 4, ages 52 to 61. We loved it. You must be flexible and able bodied. It is not a commercialized excursion, in ANY way. It is barely regulated. But, the guides are , over the top good. Knowledgeable, careful, kind and patient. Tip them well.! ! !

We used Courtney Taylor to arrange transportation. They are highly recommended. (Trip Advisor) Peat Taylor also, good reputation. Met us at the port. We drove for 2 hours apx. (worth it), spent 1 1/2 hours at Irie Blue hole. Then went to another place, Calypso Tubing, to tube in white water. Excellent guides, also. They took very good care of us, and sang to us, as we floated down the river. Beautiful ! Courtney's driver was a "cousin" and we felt safe with him. The whole day cost about $100. each, would have gladly paid more. Never had a better excursion. Questions?? Be happy to answer. PJADS

thanks PJADS - our cruise was actually nearly 6 months ago now and we did the tour of the Irie blue hole with courtney - it was fabulous - everything you said and more. and yes we did tip well!

it is worth every cent and the boys at the blue hole are so welcoming, warm, attentive and fun. You do need to be a bit adventurous - the more the better. My husband and i pushed ourselves and did about half the things on offer. Being afraid of heights and claustrophobic doesn't help - although i wouldn't have missed this one for the world.

thanks again for your interesting response.

The walk to the falls is not strenuous,but to actually walk through the water from rock to rock, it was a little slippery. Some of the walking paths were a little muddy. Our guide helped us when needed. You can see the falls easily from the walking path.

As far as children, that might be a too young for this. To get in the water you have to jump off nto it below you and I would estimate the jump being maybe around ten feet or more down depending on where you jumped from. It was too far for us. I saw some older children enjoying it, but we have 5 1/2 year old granddaughter who is a decent swimmer for her age, and I definitely couldn't see her jumping in this far!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Here are some pictures we took in January.

http://www.whenshiphappens.com/blog/2014/02/jamaica-liberty-tours.html

I second the motion that 5-6 years old is probably too young to really enjoy it. My son is 11 (and on the small side). It was a little tough swimming for him. The guides were fantastic and flipped him on their backs and took off. He had a wonderful time! I would not have been comfortable if he were younger.

We went there last week with our 11 y/o DD and 6 (7 in May) DS and had a great time. DS did not have a problem and is a good swimmer. I stayed in the water in case he had trouble and would not let him jump on the huge jumps. There were some in life jackets while we were there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For those of you have been...how hard is it to get out of the water? I don't see steps and would not expect a ladder, so just wondering if it is difficult to get out.

I was there a few days ago.

There are steps built into/ out of rocks to climb out. Your guide will help you if you need a hand. The rocks were not slippery and were easy to go through. They did have life jackets if you wanted them. Where they let you jump in, the water was plenty deep. There is a ladder at one end where it is deeper (it actually goes through the rocks like a tunnel - very cool).