Secret Falls/Irie Blue Hole

Mac9624

Hi. We are tentatively booked for Irie Blue Hole with Ricardo from Liberty Tours.

I am a professional photographer and really want to take my professional *not water proof* camera with me to take photos while I am on this trip.

I have read conflicting things so I am hoping for some clarity.

Ricardo said it's possible to get to the bottom without ever having entered the water (perfect for me to keep my camera dry and take photos when I reach the bottom - then leave my camera on dry land to hop in and enjoy the water).

I just read on here it's not possible to get to the bottom where the water is without jumping 10 ft. into the water. - Obviously a problem for my camera if I have to leave it up top plus I want the money shot from the bottom...

Opinions?

I can't be of much help because we all did jump in but I do believe you can get to the bottom without jumping - We got out without jumping so you must be able to get in the way we got out. I think the problem you might have is putting your camera down to play in the water. Not sure if there is a safe place for that. We had a guide taking pictures with my water camera and another helping us so the camera guide might be able to hold it but she was also helping people. I will say that it is a beautiful place and would love to see your pictures if you decide to bring your camera!

Hi. We are tentatively booked for Irie Blue Hole with Ricardo from Liberty Tours.

I am a professional photographer and really want to take my professional *not water proof* camera with me to take photos while I am on this trip.

I have read conflicting things so I am hoping for some clarity.

Ricardo said it's possible to get to the bottom without ever having entered the water (perfect for me to keep my camera dry and take photos when I reach the bottom - then leave my camera on dry land to hop in and enjoy the water).

I just read on here it's not possible to get to the bottom where the water is without jumping 10 ft. into the water. - Obviously a problem for my camera if I have to leave it up top plus I want the money shot from the bottom...

Opinions?

I cannot help with if you can get to the bottom without jumping, because we will not be here until Nov, but I wonder if you could get a "dry bag" for your camera that would keep it safe on travel down to the bottom and while you are swimming. I am not sure if they could keep your camera dry if you jump, but they would work for any splashes.

I cannot help with if you can get to the bottom without jumping, because we will not be here until Nov, but I wonder if you could get a "dry bag" for your camera that would keep it safe on travel down to the bottom and while you are swimming. I am not sure if they could keep your camera dry if you jump, but they would work for any splashes.

I definitely have weather gear for it already as long as it's not submersed in water so I can't take it into the water but splashes on the weather gear would be fine.

When we cruise I like to look for unique non-crowded excursions and found this one for Jamaica. Everything was great, from the first email I sent until we were dropped off back at the port. Our driver was Rose Marie and she was great, gave us an informative ride both ways, answered our questions, and even tried sharing her wifi with my 16 year old daughter who had been going through wifi withdraws. We were a group of five ages 16-72 and had another family of 4 added to our group. The van was air conditioned and had enough room for us all. Once we arrived at the Blue Hole, Ricardo was there to meet us in person and we were then turned over to our lifeguards and unfortunately I can only remember Devroe's name as one of them. But they were all wonderful. They are very adept at leading you up the river and off the jumps into the pools. They are monkeys themselves, very sure footed and helpful/attentive to those of us with more limited mobility. They make it fun for everyone. They did take my camera and we have pictures/videos we would have never been able to get otherwise and are knowledgeable with a variety of brands of cameras. We had a wonderful time there then left and on the way back to the port Rose Marie stopped and gave us sugar cane to try then ate at Scotchies where the chicken, rice and beans were very good. The cost of the tour which included fee into the Blue Hole, our lunch, and transportation was a very reasonable price. We were back at the port in plenty of time to be back on board for sailing. I would definitely recommend using Liberty Tours when visiting Jamaica.

As there are 3 ports in Jamaica, can anyone tell me which port is closest to the Blue Hole? We will dock in Montego Bay, and I'm not sure I would relish a really long drive to an excursion.

Thanks,

Bob

I'm planning on going to the Blue Hole with Courtneytaylortours.com on October 1st. If anyone else is planning to do the same but have not made arrangements, please sign up for this tour. I do not want to pay the full price for just two of us. If more people sign up, the cost will only be $35 pp. The admission to the Blue Hole is $15

Howdy,

We just did this excursion this past week. It is beyond awesome! I took my Nikon d3100 with me and handed it to one of our guides. He was GREAT. Took lots of photos for me and kept the camera dry. The guides work very hard for tips (they are not paid by the park). Please remember to tip them accordingly.

I did every jump at least twice. Simple amazing and fun.

Edited by ddaz

Howdy,

We just did this excursion this past week. It is beyond awesome! I took my Nikon d3100 with me and handed it to one of our guides. He was GREAT. Took lots of photos for me and kept the camera dry. The guides work very hard for tips (they are not paid by the park). Please remember to tip them accordingly.

I did every jump at least twice. Simple amazing and fun.

We would LOVE to see your pictures!! Can you post?

I am a camera fanatic and have a Cannon, however I have a Nikon that I purchased on the ship specifically for the continuous action setting. This setting worked best for us at the Blue Hole capturing us jumping off the cliffs. It also is great for the parades and the Ice show.

Our family visited the Blue Hole last August with Peat Taylor Tours and loved it there! Between hidden caves, thrilling cliff jumps and exciting rope swing plunges into the most beautiful hues of turquoise water you’ll ever see, our visit to the Blue Hole was the highlight of our vacation!

You can get to the bottom of the river where the falls is without jumping and we did not have any difficulties climbing back out again.

The guides were extremely helpful and courteous and treated us like V.I.P's. They held on to our camera for us and took photos of us too! How much you would like to tip your guide is really up to you. We planned on tipping our guide $20.00 but since we ended up with two guides this amount was split between the two.

To see photos and video clips of the Blue Hole, I have attached our YouTube video of our time there.

[YOUTUBE]vGaWG_6i45o[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...

We had a group of 31 at the blue hole last week and as stated the guides were amazing. The trip completely changed my perspective on Jamaica actually as my previous trip there to Dunn's River Falls was not good. I will post some pictures later this week in a new thread.

I am interested in doing this tour because my daughter and husband are adventurous and this looks like something they would enjoy. However, I am less adventurous. I would do most things, except I don't think I would do the 10 feet jump and I definitely wouldn't do that hole thing that I saw in the linked blog. Was that as bad as it looked? It seemed the guy was stuck in the hole up to his chest??? You have to go through that hole??

It seems like something I still could do but skip parts I am too afraid to try. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Maggie

I have not been there yet but I have researched it plenty here on Cruise Critic. You can walk down to the water and you can do whatever you feel like you want to do. I'm excited because I will do whatever challenge is presented

I am interested in doing this tour because my daughter and husband are adventurous and this looks like something they would enjoy. However, I am less adventurous. I would do most things, except I don't think I would do the 10 feet jump and I definitely wouldn't do that hole thing that I saw in the linked blog. Was that as bad as it looked? It seemed the guy was stuck in the hole up to his chest??? You have to go through that hole??

It seems like something I still could do but skip parts I am too afraid to try. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Maggie

I am not as adventurous as my DS's and DH. I did not do the first jump as that was too high for me. Crawling through the hole in the side of the waterfall was not as bad as it looked--even I did that one! I had no idea where I was going or what to expect on the other side. However, one of the guides is on the other side of that hole and is there to assist you and help you with your footing. Once you get through the hole you are in a cave--you are not submerged underwater. If you are uncomfortable with any of the jumps or crawling through the hole, you do not have to do it. You can still meet up with your group by entering the water down by the falls instead.

Even if you're not adventurous, you are bound to be enthralled by the cascading waterfall, the beautiful turquoise water and the stunning natural beauty all around you.

Enjoy your day in this secluded piece of paradise!

• 2 weeks later...
Our family visited the Blue Hole last August with Peat Taylor Tours and loved it there! Between hidden caves, thrilling cliff jumps and exciting rope swing plunges into the most beautiful hues of turquoise water you’ll ever see, our visit to the Blue Hole was the highlight of our vacation!

You can get to the bottom of the river where the falls is without jumping and we did not have any difficulties climbing back out again.

The guides were extremely helpful and courteous and treated us like V.I.P's. They held on to our camera for us and took photos of us too! How much you would like to tip your guide is really up to you. We planned on tipping our guide $20.00 but since we ended up with two guides this amount was split between the two.

To see photos and video clips of the Blue Hole, I have attached our YouTube video of our time there.

[YOUTUBE]vGaWG_6i45o[/YOUTUBE]

Great video definitely want to jump in a waterfall now:)