Land sickness...how long does it last?

Mrs. Wilburforce

My sisters and I recently returned from our Island Princess Panama Canal trip on the 19th. We are all suffering from land sickness. Our inner ears think we're still on planes, buses, ships, and taxis so we feel like we're floating at night and we're stumbling around during the day.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how long did it last? None of us got seasick or suffered from any motion sickness, so this is weird.

On a side note, the cruise was wonderful. Some areas surpassed Cunard. I can't even think of cruising again until this issue passes. I felt like I was going to fall backwards while doing laundry today.

My sisters and I recently returned from our Island Princess Panama Canal trip on the 19th. We are all suffering from land sickness. Our inner ears think we're still on planes, buses, ships, and taxis so we feel like we're floating at night and we're stumbling around during the day.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how long did it last? None of us got seasick or suffered from any motion sickness, so this is weird.

On a side note, the cruise was wonderful. Some areas surpassed Cunard. I can't even think of cruising again until this issue passes. I felt like I was going to fall backwards while doing laundry today.

That has happened to me too--lasted a few days. I never get seasick (knock wood :D) but I do get landsick. Strange, isn't it?

I never had it that bad, but I could feel my bed moving at night when I was going to sleep. And I KNOW my bed and my house are firmly anchored to the ground! Knowing that didn't stop my perception of the movement though. Didn't really bother me--just made me wish I was still on a ship.

• Like 1

I always get this after a cruise and it lasts at least a week. But I have blamed it on taking Bonine throughout the cruise. Maybe that's not the cause ?

Wonder if the length of the cruise makes a difference in how long you're unstable ?

It's called Mal de debarquement and not uncommon, I've had it after many of our cruises. The best remedy for me has been to use Dramamine for a few days after getting off the ship.

Sorry but you are wrong its not call Mal De Bearquement

"What causes Mal de Debarquement ?

Little is known about this rare disorder. It is the general opinion, however, that MDD is not caused by an injury to the ear or brain. At this writing (8/2007), the predominant opinion is that MDD is a variant motion sickness. MDD is associated with postural instability after sailing (Nachum et a, 2004). While this theory doesn't explain why MDD seems to mainly affect women in their 40's it does seem to account for observations of naval personnel who have a similar land-sickness experience. "

Please do search and read up on this. I am familiar with this due to my mother having a form of this disease called Menieres Disease (Pronounced Many ears) she can never travel or fly etc. Mal De Debarquement is a very scary and fortunately very rare disease.

Mal De Debarquement is totally different from land sickness in that land sickness goes away after a few days and Mal De Debarquement can last months or years and be disabling.

I have looked it up before and have read that it is not uncommon. But it depends on what articles are read I suppose, I had never read of it as rare. My first experience with it lasted a couple of months after our first cruise, a short cruise of only 4 days.

Subsequent experience with taking Dramamine upon returning home lessens the condition to only a few days for me.

For me it lasted 1 day but didn't start until the day after I got home. For others in our group it started while waiting for the plane at the airport to fly home and theirs lasted upto a week.

It was on a 7day caribbean

Guest LoveMyBoxer

What's funny is that when we had the Earthquake here in NY this Summer, we had just gotten off a cruise the day before. When the building started to move, I thought I was experiencing this and I hadn't gotten my land legs yet! LOL

I personally have only had this once within about 24 hours after my first cruise. Kind of similar to riding elevators numerous times a day, you'll notice your body tricking itself that it is still moving even when you are simply standing or even sitting down.

i had it for nearly 3 weeks the first time but each cruise,every couple of years,it gets better. down to only 3 or 4 days now. the first time was quite an exp....my woodstove was undulating and my countertops kept falling away from me! hope nyou feel better soon.

• 2 years later...

After sailing for a wonderful 15 nights on a recent transatlantic I guess I shouldn't be surprised! But I've been home five days and still moving! We had a smooth crossing so I can't imagine how we'd feel if it had been rough. The movement is almost like getting extra time at sea!!:)