Opinions on Dining

Sandyt05

Myself, my husband and our 7 year old daughter will be on NCL Jewel Thanksgiving week. I am worried about the dining. We were not crazy about the dining on our Disney Magic Cruise and I do not want to disappointed on this cruise. My question is...Would you pay for the Ultimate Dining Plan even if it included purchasing it for a 7 year old? Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! What are your thoughts about the regular dining room foods and selections?

Thank you!

We never had a problem with any of the food sailing on NCL, and we certainly never went hungry. We sometimes do fee restaurants, but usually only when CAS pays. Personally we see no need to buy the dining plan.

BUT, food and peoples tastes are very subjective.

Try doing a search and check out some of the menus in the main dining room, and Blue lagoon (OSheehans), see if they look appealing.

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

Myself, my husband and our 7 year old daughter will be on NCL Jewel Thanksgiving week. I am worried about the dining. We were not crazy about the dining on our Disney Magic Cruise and I do not want to disappointed on this cruise. My question is...Would you pay for the Ultimate Dining Plan even if it included purchasing it for a 7 year old? Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! What are your thoughts about the regular dining room foods and selections?

Thank you!

If you are already concerned about the MDR food then I would definitely do the UDP and I think you will probably enjoy it. I like NCL but I don't think their MDR food is very good. I don't know about having to pay for the 7 year old. This doesn't sound right to me. I have never done the UDP until this cruise but have eaten in several specialty restaurants. Usually I make reservations at home and I have to make the reservation for 4 and also pay for 4 but when we eat there they always credit the money back for the kids. Kids in specialty restaurants are always half price and if they order from the kids menu they are free. If it is a requirement to purchase the package for the whole cabin I would want to know if I would be credited back for the child's meals. Just my two cents.

Good Luck

ROB

I don't see anywhere on NCL's site that there's a discount on the UDP for a child. I wouldn't purchase it for a child as it would cost more than paying the children's charge at the specialty restaurants. If it's half-price for children and you think you'll use it enough to make it worth the price, then... If it's not half price, you could purchase it for the adults in your party and then pay with your card for her meals each time you eat at a specialty restaurant.

I'm new to NCL and I purchased it for my upcoming cruise because I want to try out all the specialty restaurants and the UDP saves a little bit over paying individually at the different restaurants.

I don't see anywhere on NCL's site that there's a discount on the UDP for a child. I wouldn't purchase it for a child as it would cost more than paying the children's charge at the specialty restaurants. If it's half-price for children and you think you'll use it enough to make it worth the price, then... If it's not half price, you could purchase it for the adults in your party and then pay with your card for her meals each time you eat at a specialty restaurant.

I'm new to NCL and I purchased it for my upcoming cruise because I want to try out all the specialty restaurants and the UDP saves a little bit over paying individually at the different restaurants.

I don't believe the UDP is discounted for a child, but don't they usually get 1/2 price in the pay restaurants?

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by wasiii

I don't believe the UDP is discounted for a child, but don't they usually get 1/2 price in the pay restaurants?

wasiii

Yes, that's what I was saying--that if there's no discount on the UDP for a child, you'd be paying quite a bit more for your child's meals. I'd just get it for the adults.

Yes, that's what I was saying--that if there's no discount on the UDP for a child, you'd be paying quite a bit more for your child's meals. I'd just get it for the adults.

Sorry I misunderstood.

wasiii

wasiii

You are correct. Last time I checked NCL it said no UDP plans for children. Children 4-12 can order off the specialty menu for 1/2 off or free from a kids menu.

Sorry I misunderstood.

wasiii

No worries. I'm not new to cruising, but I'm new to NCL so spending significant time on their site these days. I'd like to understand how these things work before I board so I can just enjoy my time on the ship instead of trying to figure things out. :o

We don't have any issues with the food in the MDR's on NCL. I understand why you could be worried about it, based on some of the reviews. But those reviews always leave me scratching my head and wondering how things can be SO bad for some folks and just fine for the others.

Because we have sailed NCL so many times, we do like to go to the pay restaurants for more variety (and being at the platinum level we do get some free meals there), and we usually are about 50/50 split between pay and MDR. But we do like the food in the MDR's.

Enjoy!

If you are already concerned about the MDR food then I would definitely do the UDP and I think you will probably enjoy it. I like NCL but I don't think their MDR food is very good. I don't know about having to pay for the 7 year old. This doesn't sound right to me. I have never done the UDP until this cruise but have eaten in several specialty restaurants. Usually I make reservations at home and I have to make the reservation for 4 and also pay for 4 but when we eat there they always credit the money back for the kids. Kids in specialty restaurants are always half price and if they order from the kids menu they are free. If it is a requirement to purchase the package for the whole cabin I would want to know if I would be credited back for the child's meals. Just my two cents.

Good Luck

ROB

Oh good to know! I didn't realize that if my daughter ordered from the child menu that hers would be for free. Thinking we may chose a few of the specialty restaurants to try instead of UDP. Thank you for the info!

Thank you!

There are huge differences between the DCL Rotational dining and NCL's Freestyle. With freestyle you can view the menu each night in one of the two MDRs and determine if you wish to eat there. I am not a fan of MDRs on any ship, so I can not give an opinion really on the selections. I do however love the lobster macaroni and Grand Manier soufflé on DCL! :)

I would not purchase the dining plan for a 7 year old even at half price, if they are likely to eat off of a kids menu. The kids menu heavily compares to DCL's. I would get a soda card though as on NCL soda in not included.

Hope this helps,

Cherie

So if I order the UDP for myself and my husband and then decide once we get there with we add my daughter, can we make a reservation online now for 3 without having paid for our daughter's portion?

No, at least by the rules you'd need to pay for her. Also it'd be the full price and you'd get a refund onboard depending on her chosen dish.

Edited by Demonyte

So if I order the UDP for myself and my husband and then decide once we get there with we add my daughter, can we make a reservation online now for 3 without having paid for our daughter's portion?

As Demonyte said, you should pay for her ahead of time, but my understanding is that if you have UDP and make a reservation for more than just those with UDP, you won't be charged. I've made my reservations for my upcoming cruise and in one of the specialty restaurants, it wouldn't allow me to make the reservation for only one, but it didn't charge me for the second, unknown person. :o I've also read on a number of other threads that if the dining reservations are made on the booking of someone who has UDP, there won't be a charge at the time of booking. YMMV, but I've seen it reported a number of times. :D

No, at least by the rules you'd need to pay for her. Also it'd be the full price and you'd get a refund onboard depending on her chosen dish.

SPECIALTY DINING

When you want an even more memorable experience, our ships' specialty restaurants provide refined choices. Children 3 years old and younger always eat free, and children 4 - 12 can choose from a complimentary kids menu or can enjoy the full specialty menu for 50% off.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/dining-entertainment-activities

If you purchase the UDP, you will be able to book online for meals for your child without a fee.

Edited by Nalagh

Yes this is correct. The NCL website states the UDP does not have to be purchased by everyone in the cabin. I bought the package for only me and my husband, I have booked a family dinner for 4 of us at Teppanyaki prior to sailing and have not been charged anything, I intend to settle the bill for the kids on board. Hope this makes sense

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining-Guide-06202014.pdf

This is a great guide to all of the dining on the ship. As we do not have kids with us I have never inquired about it, however I am sure there are kids programs that include dining on this ship as it is very much kids friendly ship.

Also let's face it if your daughter can order off a free kids menu I am sure the food is perfectly fine in the Specialty restaurants. They will be serving them the same food but probably just a smaller portion.

Another thought as paying guests you and your husband can order as much and as many items you want. If your daughter doesn't like the kids free menu she can share yours.

Edited by shout19661966

Thank you!

Yes, I would purchase the ultimate dining package in a New York minute. I just purchased it and made all my reservations for my 11 day cruise in November.

I would just purchase it for you and your husband, but make the reservation for three and figure out while at the restaurant if there is a charge for your daughter or not.

I didn't do the MDR on the Jewell, but did it two nights on the Pearl. I wasn't knocked out, but have done many of the specialty restaurants on both and enjoyed each and every meal.

Thank you!

What was it about the food on Disney? Was it the food itself or the rotation of restaurants? I loved the food there and loved that the same servers followed us on our rotations. IMHO, the food on Disney is better than the food on NCL, specialty restaurants included. (Not that some of the food in the specialty restaurants aren't fantastic, but if I had a choice of specialty restaurants on NCL or Disney I'd choose Disney)

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari