St Petersburg tour question for Regent Baltic cruises

Lambert.studio.. I think we're on the same cruise, embarking June 14th from London. Originally we were planning on using the inclusive Regent tours in St. Petersburg. In fact we have already signed up for three days and one night (ballet) of Regent tours.

Following this thread, I'm beginning to have serious second thoughts about that decision. After doing some research, we will probably be switching to a three day grand tour (including Jewish Heritage) with Alla. We'll keep the Regent ballet excursion at night. Using the Regent tours exclusively seemed to leave too much "down time" on the ship.

Thanks to all who have offered their experience on this thread. It's very much appreciated. Lambert... hopefully we'll cross paths on our cruise... Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Steve (I'm Susan and John is my husband) - I'll no doubt meet you at the reception thing which I signed up for :D My idea with the tours is to ask Alla (2 day Grand Tour) and SPb (2 day Deluxe Tour) about tweaking their 2 day tours to skip the cathedrals (and more time in the Hermitage if poss) and do the Regent cathedrals tour (LED-006) on day 3. Right now my husband and I are planning on doing this as a private tour but if you're interested too let me know...

Thanks Gilly - sounds like it's worth taking a look at P&P - 45 minutes probably suffices:) And I do want the Faberge museum - I read somewhere about them moving the eggs out of the HErmitage so even though it's a pain going to see them separately I still want to. I'm busy reading a stack of guide books and Trip Advisor and I now realize that what I want to see at the Hermitage (Dutch, Flemish and Italian Renaissance as well as antiquities) are exactly where the crowds will be;p Oh well... If I go back there I will spend a whole day for sure!

Thanks for the offer Susan. I hadn't thought about doing things that way, but there is a certain logic to it. My wife (Deborah) and I feel the same way as you about the Hermitage. So much to see, so little time. Right now we just finished tweaking our 3 day tour to get more time at the Hermitage.. Thanks for starting this thread...it got my attention!!

I would agree with Gilly regarding a visit to the P&P Cathedral. It doesn't really merit a long visit; but it is quite interesting to see the imperial tombs and rather touching to see the special memorial burial site of the remains of Tsar Nicholas II and his family. The visit to that site will appeal to anyone who loved the book, "Nicholas and Alexandra" or even enjoyed the film.

I would agree with Gilly regarding a visit to the P&P Cathedral. It doesn't really merit a long visit; but it is quite interesting to see the imperial tombs and rather touching to see the special memorial burial site of the remains of Tsar Nicholas II and his family. The visit to that site will appeal to anyone who loved the book, "Nicholas and Alexandra" or even enjoyed the film.

Oh yeah ;)

The guide told us that tests are currently being undertaken on the remains of the last two family members, Alexei and Maria, and that "who knows", later this year there may be further developments. Fascinating!

Hi Susan/Lambert... Have you decided between SPB and Alla? We're trying to choose which one to use for the three day tour. Other than times at the P and P Fortress, I don't see many differences. Interested in yours or others thoughts or experiences. Thanks..

Hi Susan/Lambert... Have you decided between SPB and Alla? We're trying to choose which one to use for the three day tour. Other than times at the P and P Fortress, I don't see many differences. Interested in yours or others thoughts or experiences. Thanks..

I chose SPB - it was a matter of communication. I think both their tours are similar. Alla was hopeless with their customer service interface - I sent both my specific tour request/date/time/ship etc and SPb wrote back right away with their response. Alla told me they'd be happy to help if I told them what I wanted (they didn't read the message). Then they asked when I was coming (still not reading). Then they told me the ship didn't exist. By then I'd already booked SPb and I gave up ;p Maybe you get someone different there!