First Disney and dashing from FLL!

1of4

We have always wanted to take a Disney cruise, but for various reasons have been on HAL over the last few years. But when we asked HAL to extend a booked cruise over New Years to include the Christmas week their reply to our TA was to Void the booking we already have (with special pricing for the kids of under $200 each) and rebook at fares of over $2,000 each for them.

Ahhh, no thanks HAL....

Nothing out of Miami was looking as good as the 4 day Magic....sooo we will be doing the I-95 dash from Port Everglades to Port Canaveral on Jan. 6th.:eek:

I am worried about it, but that is my nature. The Noordam is supposed to dock by 8 AM Jan 6 and the Magic leaves at 4. According to Google it is less than 3 hour drive.

I drive 2.5 hours each day (round trip) in all weather up in Canada for work and the reason for the trip was my mum died last Dec. 21 and we didn't have a Christmas or New years (our anniversary).

We are all excited....but is this realistic? Has anyone done it? United flies and we could do that to Orlando but the flight leaves at 10:00 (or is that 10:30) and would cost just under $350 for the 4 of us. Is that a better option than renting and driving?

Please tell me we aren't crazy....or please tell me if we are :o and we really should not be trying to get from Port Everglades to Port Canaveral the same day....

Thanks!

We will rent a car. We wanted a bit longer on vacation and if we didn't leave on Jan 6 we would have to wait 4 days and that is just too much vacation time kicking around Florida in early January. Flying is expensive so we wanted to take advantage of us already being there.

Sounds like a good move!

We ended up driving to Port Canav from KY for a Carnival Cruise & Disney World trip in Feb/early Mar. As soon as we got back, Dad booked him and mom a 'secret' anniversary 3 day Disney cruise a for few weeks later in April! 5 weeks later, we drove back to Port Canav again! (It's a 13-14 hour drive each leg, and we did it 4 times! :eek:)

Smart to consolidate if you can. You will be in a great opportunity to compare the lines too. Getting off the Carnival Dream and getting on the Disney Dream within a few weeks, man we sure could tell the difference! I'm excited for you!

You will have to come back and post a comparison!

(Also you may or may not know, but you can bring any kind of beverage in any quantity on board with you as long as you carry it on. Renting a car will help you make a quick stop on the way so you can stock your room, if you choose, and save a little there. And don't forget to bring change for all the Florida tolls!!! I keep a bag of quarters on me in the car, but you may just have to grab some dollar bills. This was specifically the case for the Orlando/Port Canaveral area, so I'm not sure how yours applies, but be prepared just in case for lots of tolls. And don't miss the pirate fireworks! You can bring pirate outfits and accessories if you like!)

Sounds like a good move!

We ended up driving to Port Canav from KY for a Carnival Cruise & Disney World trip in Feb/early Mar. As soon as we got back, Dad booked him and mom a 'secret' anniversary 3 day Disney cruise a for few weeks later in April! 5 weeks later, we drove back to Port Canav again! (It's a 13-14 hour drive each leg, and we did it 4 times! :eek:)

Smart to consolidate if you can. You will be in a great opportunity to compare the lines too. Getting off the Carnival Dream and getting on the Disney Dream within a few weeks, man we sure could tell the difference! I'm excited for you!

You will have to come back and post a comparison!

(Also you may or may not know, but you can bring any kind of beverage in any quantity on board with you as long as you carry it on. Renting a car will help you make a quick stop on the way so you can stock your room, if you choose, and save a little there. And don't forget to bring change for all the Florida tolls!!! I keep a bag of quarters on me in the car, but you may just have to grab some dollar bills. This was specifically the case for the Orlando/Port Canaveral area, so I'm not sure how yours applies, but be prepared just in case for lots of tolls. And don't miss the pirate fireworks! You can bring pirate outfits and accessories if you like!)

wow - thanks for this information. We know nothing about cruising Disney. We had wanted to, but it just never worked out. I felt a bit shell-shocked when we left the TA on Saturday morning with deposit paid as I had done zero research....never happened before as I am an information junkie.

We booked a vow renewal on HAL and are looking forward to that cruise and this is just the icing on the cake! We have been through a tough year with the death of my mother last December so now we just want to be a family and have some fun. Disney looks amazing and the kids are so very excited.

I think you will be fine and that your children will appreciate the Disney MAGIC cruise after the Holland America cruise.

I like both Holland America and Disney and think this makes for a good combination.

I have stayed in Ft. Lauderdale near the airport before driving up on the day of the cruise up to Port Canaveral without a problem a couple of times. It is about a 3 hour easy drive, straight up I 95. If you disembark the Holland America ship fairly early and have a car arranged in advance, you should be good to go.

You might want to sign up for a preferred renter card like the Hertz #1 Club or National Emerald Isle program so that the car is waiting for you with little to be done other than to show your drivers license. They are free to join. You may also want to take the fuel option to avoid having to refill the tank before you drop off the car at Port Canaveral. This should save you some time.

Lots of good information about Disney Cruise Lines on this and other web sites. I think your family will enjoy a Disney cruise, I say go for it.

soccer

Besides bringing on all the alcohol you want there are also free soda machines onboard (you pay for cans). You can also have free sodas in the dining rooms with meals. Be sure to catch some of the shows. Disney's shows are a cut above those on other lines. Costuming, special effects, and large casts contribute to the Disney "magic". BTW, crew members are referred to as "cast members" just like at the parks. If you have time, they show first run Disney movies as well as those a few months old.

You will be on the Magic after the drydock with all the new amenities. If you haven't looked at it, read this thread and see some of the changes being made.

My DD and her family live about 10 mins from FLL. They are going to be doing the run from Plantation Fl to the port 11 days from now for our Disney Dream trip. They have gone many times from FLL to Disney World and they allow about 3 hours. It is not a bad drive once out of the airport area. Look up the local locations for rental cars (not in the air port). You could taxi to the local rental car agency and then take off from there. Check out more than one rental agency -- they match/slash/and compete and sometimes one and then another turn out to be the cheapest.

A hint is to check on what is scheduled for the Miami- Ft Lauderdale that week. Luckily for you Jan. 6 is a Monday and many folks will be back at home after the holidays and back to work AND that means there should be cars available even though Jan is snowbird and still holiday times.

Stay calm and get off the ship in a timely manner (disembarkation handling your own bags) or fill out your disembarkation papers to show an 11:00 flight and take the transfer to FLL (just across the road but no way to walk and cabs sometimes get scarce for the number of folks wanting them). The idea is to be on one of the first busses transferring to the airport (may be as early as 8 - 9 AM). Enter the airport and look for the rental car signs (the agencies are on the 2nd 3rd and 4th levels of the airport). You will pick up the car in the parking garage behind the counters. With good luck you will only take less than half hour to rent your car and be on your way. Spaghetti type of roads out of the parking lot and you have to make your way over but it is well signed and not hard to do. Worst case you go past the airport and take a second try:p I really don't think you will have any problem.

Make sure that your bags are tagged to go and be picked up by you! There is a large % of bags that go directly to the airport by truck and if you don't have your bags you have a problem. Ask for advice on ship and ask for that early transfer. I have not done this at Port Everglades in a long time but I have rented cars in FLL almost monthly this past year.

I can't thank you all enough for your reassurances. We are so excited about our first Disney cruise and now I can relax a bit more.

I have looked into Budget who has an office very close to Port Everglades and even got a discount code that dropped the car rental price by nearly $100!

We will self disembark and hopefully be with one of the first groups to get off the Noordam and get on our way once through immigration.

I was watching the videos of all the improvements being made to the Magic during its drydock coming up that were posted on this board - DS was going nuts and now he got me to agree to go on the waterslide with him that "drops"...yippee!!:eek::)

My last cruise a few weeks ago was on the Veendam but my last three cruises before that (and my next on in September) have all been Disney. So I am curious to see what you think. I loved the library on HAL and the ships were small and quiet. Disney is more elegant, the service is better, and it is very, very Disney - movies, characters, artwork, etc. I LOVE the Magic, and you will be on her after a major drydock, so I am jealous.

Anyway, sounds like an exciting couple weeks of cruising, please do a trip report and let us know what you think. And for all things regarding Disney cruising, there is another board you could find that has a lot more activity that you might find helpful.

If you get your car at the airport (probably closest in that it is less than 2 miles from the port) all of the major and minor car dealers are in a line on 3 floors so location is a matter of walking up to the counter for the car company you are using.

A big tip. Before you choose the company get a full quote for the car that you need. For your family you will probably need a full size. Not for people but for the luggage! The daily rate looks oh so good but by the time you get to the bottom line it is a very different price. I was so upset with me last month when we rented from Thrifty and I did not realize that a 2nd driver was $11 a day (x7 days or $77) and I would have been $50 cheaper if I used another company that didn't charge me for the 2nd driver. Another huge factor is drop off fees -- renting one city dropping off at another. So you really need to go all the way to the very end (including credit card but do not push reserve.) At this stage only get a quote on reservations that can be cancelled because lots of time for specials etc.

Coupons -- really read what it says! So many times high hopes for money off dissolves in fine print -- only on a Tuesday with full moon and no clouds.:rolleyes:

How are you getting home? In US you can do (2) one way flights at the same price as a roundtrip.(depending on the airline) You might want to fly into FLL (for HAL) and out of MCO after the Disney cruise. Check the price of transfer (really pretty easy) and if you really want to luxe it -- put in 2-3 days at Disney World after the cruise. You can get nice packages for WDW and transfer from the hotel to airport is included. Lots say that if 4 or more then renting a car to transfer to the airport is cost effective. Check it all out.

Doing this scene next week with 8 folks. Fly to MCO and Magical Express to Port Orleans for 2 nights (too expensive to buy park pass for travel days but lots to do without the park) with one day in Magic Kingdom, the transfer to ship for 4 day cruise and transfer to airport. The daughter and family who live in Florida will drive their car from FLL to Port Orleans hotel then to ship and home directly from the port.

I'll let you know how it goes:D:D:D

There's a Budget office just outside Port Lauderdale and they usually have a free shuttle from your ship. Call them directly in advance to verify what time they open. Usually they'll tell you to call them when you're ready to be picked up and it can take 20 minutes or so for them to get over there. But I think that's faster...and cheaper...than taking a cab or shuttle to the airport. In our experience rentals off airport are sometimes cheaper. Also, be sure to verify that the Budget office at Canaveral has a shuttle to the port (they used to have one).

We've done several cruises on HAL and Disney and, other than price, would call them about equal. There are some things that each does better but they both are a great vacation! Enjoy!

I live about 20 minutes away from Port Canaveral. When we got off the Allure at around 9:30 am and we were home before 1 pm. We even stopped for gas about halfway home. I-95 between Port Everglades and Port Canaveral is about a three hour trip. I would not recommend flying because of the possibility of delays. Have a nice trip.

Never fly same day. You would be better booking a few days different cruise or making it a spring trip. Why not have 2 cruises to look forward to? :)

Never say never;)It might not be optimal but many aren't able to get the necessary vacation time to always fly in the day prior. Naturally, trip insurance is a necessity in these cases.

All the cruise lines are able to provide passengers with the latest flight arrival time they recommend, based upon 'where' said flight is originating.

OP not sure how HAL processes self-disembarkation immigration, might want to check on that.

For me, I will say never. Its super risky and u hear people all the time missing the ship due to things out of their control. Even if it does work out, I wouldn't want to get up at 4am to be on my early flight the first night of my cruise. I'd be done by dinner and stressed all day about making it. I know people do it. We don't. But we also make a night of it where we are (or a day or two if at Orlando) and so it works perfectly. We still work the morning we drive away and then drive 12 hrs . we don't have endless vacation time either. One time, we drove all night after working all day and got to the hotel at 4:30 and got up at 8:30 and still got to the parks around 9:15. No one HAS to fly in the morning of.

For me, I definitely say never.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

For me, I will say never. Its super risky and u hear people all the time missing the ship due to things out of their control. Even if it does work out, I wouldn't want to get up at 4am to be on my early flight the first night of my cruise. I'd be done by dinner and stressed all day about making it. I know people do it. We don't. But we also make a night of it where we are (or a day or two if at Orlando) and so it works perfectly. We still work the morning we drive away and then drive 12 hrs . we don't have endless vacation time either. One time, we drove all night after working all day and got to the hotel at 4:30 and got up at 8:30 and still got to the parks around 9:15. No one HAS to fly in the morning of.

For me, I definitely say never.

Can I have my DH quote you to his employer?

Let me be more specific to illustrate just one possible scenario of those who 'have to fly in the morning of' if they want to take a 7 day cruise:

*if they live a 22 hour drive from the port and have no idea until two weeks prior what shift they'll be working the week leading up to the cruise

&

*are only are permitted by their long-time employment contract concessions to take 168 hours of vacation at a time (said vacation commencing on a Saturday at midnight and ending the following Saturday @ midnight i.e. be prepared to work midnight shift on the 2nd Saturday if needed) with a kicker that confirmation of said week not being 'officially' granted by senority process of vacation selections until February or March each year...

Yes, it is crazy restrictive! Yet in my neck of the woods when you work for large corporations in a union environment, it's a common reality in the economy of the last ten years. DH has worked long enough to earn many weeks of vacation each year (woohoo), just unable to string two weeks together. It does = many week-long trips each year:D. Certainly not boo-hoo'ing, since that restriction is tempered by other benefits/compensation wherein DH considers himself fortunate to have a otherwise wonderful job.

I'm not singling out the above poster, but have read so many make the same general statement:confused: have come to conclusion they aren't judging but just don't understand that everybody doesn't work on the same vacation playing field.

Again, I will state that the cruiselines have absolutely no issue with you flying in the day of a cruise before their posted specified time and often will book travelers on such flights when they are combining airfare/cruisefare.

As for those missing their ships due to delays, I've read weather related comments and personally wouldn't dream of flying into a florida port the same day during the winter or hurricane season or holiday period but many do without any issue.

OP sorry to veer off course;), hope you make the right decision based upon your specific needs.

I'm not forbidding it for the world, we just aren't ever going to. Also, no one HAS to cruise 7 days either...? You don't HAVE to do anything...including tell me your life story... Fly in day of if you like. Its a free country. I don't mean that nasty, it is what it is.

I'm not forbidding it for the world, we just aren't ever going to. Also, no one HAS to cruise 7 days either...? You don't HAVE to do anything...including tell me your life story... Fly in day of if you like. Its a free country. I don't mean that nasty, it is what it is.

indeed it is:) btw, i'm saving my life story for the book;), just trying to help and explain 'a specific why' there are many ways to book cruise travel...as with life in general there is no one-size fits all path, some people are more flexible than others...by choice or by circumstances.

imo that's one great about these boards, somebody can definitively state something is not do-able and others will offer valid alternative options for consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

We are looking into planning a similar trip with a cruise out of Miami then the trip to Port Canaveral to go on a Disney cruise.

I think there are always people who worry so much that they would prefer to not do things due to the risk involved. I think driving there is less risk than flying. I'm sure there are those who would disagree with that but that is just my opinion. We will definitely purchase 3rd party insurance in order to do this, simply for piece of mind in case the unthinkable happens.

I'd recommend renting with Budget or someone else who has a location near PC to use their shuttle to the ship. Check on any one way rental fees. We've had those before and it was close to $100. 95 can be a dog sometimes with construction and traffic so allow yourselves plenty of time. There's the parkway too which you may look at as plan b if needed so you can see that route and possible tolls. Good luck and happy cruising.

Archived