Upgrade Fairy

SDadw01

But it does seem on Brittania they have been overselling cabins at select fare prices , on the assumption that people would/may cancel.

Heavens knows how they will sort this mess out if no one cancels. As someone else has said this would mean people losing their deposits, so why pando are banking on them cancelling heavens knows.

So do we assume all this who have paid a select fare ,but do not actually have a cabin number at the time of booking, will get upgraded?

It is standard practice in the airline industry to overbook flights because there will always be passengers who are taken ill or even die between booking and departure date and I guess that cruise lines often do the same thing for the same reasons. It is probably better, in their view, to oversell to ensure a full ship at sailing date, they do have a lot of experience and so know the average percentage of passengers who will cancel and will have some sort of algorithm to calculate how much they can oversell a cruise by and still make it unlikely that they will to have to cancel someone who has booked.

Just received paperwork confirming upgrade for our Ventura cruise on 22nd November. We booked our original cabin on the day the cruise went on sale and picked a GC balcony, B757 which is Aft. We thought being right at the back in a quiet area would be well cool.

We've now been shifted to a GA cabin, R321 which is midship, higher up and has a sheltered balcony. Last time we sailed on Ventura we were on Lido deck in a forward balcony and both me and other half felt dizzy the entire fortnight presumably due to the height?

We feel very lucky just to be able to go on this cruise but is this really an upgrade or is it a case of its not selling as we get nearer to sailing ? Is our originally booked cabin now an upgrade for someone else?

Our travel agent is on the case as we speak!

Edited by Captain Quoits

Just received paperwork confirming upgrade for our Ventura cruise on 22nd November. We booked our original cabin on the day the cruise went on sale and picked a GC balcony, B757 which is Aft. We thought being right at the back in a quiet area would be well cool.

We've now been shifted to a GA cabin, R321 which is midship, higher up and has a sheltered balcony. Last time we sailed on Ventura we were on Lido deck in a forward balcony and both me and other half felt dizzy the entire fortnight presumably due to the height?

We feel very lucky just to be able to go on this cruise but is this really an upgrade or is it a case of its not selling as we get nearer to sailing ? Is our originally booked cabin now an upgrade for someone else?

Our travel agent is on the case as we speak!

Captain Quoits.

same thing has just happened to our friends yesterday, however they telephoned P&O direct and insisted that they be returned to their original cabin which they selected and booked in Nov 2013. Fortunately they managed to get their original cabin back. Hope you manage to get yours back also.

Captain Quoits.

same thing has just happened to our friends yesterday, however they telephoned P&O direct and insisted that they be returned to their original cabin which they selected and booked in Nov 2013. Fortunately they managed to get their original cabin back. Hope you manage to get yours back also.

Thank you, all sorted now, travel agent fixed it and we are back where we originally booked which most importantly is where we want to be.

Thank you, all sorted now, travel agent fixed it and we are back where we originally booked which most importantly is where we want to be.

Ooh i'm a bit worried now as i selected upgrade option but i don't want a shaded balcony and i booked in january too

Terry:eek:

Edited by tfg
spelling

Captain Quoits,

That's is great new. Have a wonderful cruise.

By the way you are just going to love your original cabin B757 it is in a great location lovely and quiet and it's just lovely sitting on the balcony looking at the wake. Well done.

It is standard practice in the airline industry to overbook flights because there will always be passengers who are taken ill or even die between booking and departure date and I guess that cruise lines often do the same thing for the same reasons. It is probably better, in their view, to oversell to ensure a full ship at sailing date, they do have a lot of experience and so know the average percentage of passengers who will cancel and will have some sort of algorithm to calculate how much they can oversell a cruise by and still make it unlikely that they will to have to cancel someone who has booked.

What, that should never happen :eek:

Its not like an airline where you can be bumped onto a later flight with a few sweeteners. You paid your deposit, a deal has been struck. If they cancel it is a case of breach of contract. Think about the bad publicity etc etc

What, that should never happen :eek:

Its not like an airline where you can be bumped onto a later flight with a few sweeteners. You paid your deposit, a deal has been struck. If they cancel it is a case of breach of contract. Think about the bad publicity etc etc

It does happen. A few years ago we were booked on a Princess cruise to Australia. Two weeks before we were due to go we were contacted and asked if we would be prepared to cancel, and as compensation receive a full refund and a free cruise to the same value within the next 12 months. They explained they were overbooked and needed to reduce passenger numbers. We were so excited about going to Australia so declined their offer. During our cruise we spoke to a number of passengers who had received a similar call...... So yes it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is standard practice in the airline industry to overbook flights because there will always be passengers who are taken ill or even die between booking and departure date

It is indeed standard practice but death and illness are way down the list of reasons passengers do not take the booked flight.

It does happen. A few years ago we were booked on a Princess cruise to Australia. Two weeks before we were due to go we were contacted and asked if we would be prepared to cancel, and as compensation receive a full refund and a free cruise to the same value within the next 12 months. They explained they were overbooked and needed to reduce passenger numbers. We were so excited about going to Australia so declined their offer. During our cruise we spoke to a number of passengers who had received a similar call...... So yes it does happen.

I wonder what would have happened if everyone they contacted declined the offer?

at least i hope the overbooking was due to a computer problem or similar and not some accounting 'genius' in head office chasing a better xmas bonus:rolleyes:

I would like to know how much give there is on a full ship.

You will often see the "ship is full" signs on reception to stop people wanting to move but what if a cabin is flooded with sewage, there must be an at sea contingency cabin or 2, even if they are the smallest inside cabins on ship.

Or do they sometimes sail 100% full and you would be disembarked at the next port and given compensation and a free cruise if your cabin was uninhabitable.

What about transatlantic, are they allowed to sail full or do they have to have X amount of cabins spare?

I would like to know how much give there is on a full ship.

You will often see the "ship is full" signs on reception to stop people wanting to move but what if a cabin is flooded with sewage, there must be an at sea contingency cabin or 2, even if they are the smallest inside cabins on ship.

Or do they sometimes sail 100% full and you would be disembarked at the next port and given compensation and a free cruise if your cabin was uninhabitable.

What about transatlantic, are they allowed to sail full or do they have to have X amount of cabins spare?

They always keep a few empty for emergency / operational reasons. We were sailing on the Sea Princess (which was allegedly sailing full) and one passenger had an issue with noise in the cabin. He kicked off so much about it they moved him to another balcony cabin.

When we sailed on Oceana in the summer we had problems with noise in our cabin but they were adamant they were full, even after several visits from the deck manager who agreed with us. A week after getting back we received a reasonable amount of compensation. All we got on board was a bottle of house wine which cost £12 on board and probably about £3 to p and o.