Leaving Balcony Doors open at Night ?

Pennbank

Sleeping with the balcony door open is the best part of cruising..............well maybe after dancing, and visiting wonderful new ports, and meeting lots of new people. Well no matter where it falls in order of precedence, sleeping with the balcony door open is really cool, even in stormy weather. Maybe especially in stormy weather.

We truly love the sea. :)

Totally agree I love that too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I often wonder about Leaving the Balcony door open at night ? Is it fair to other passengers ? Who has not heard the whistling noise, this action can make, with the flow of air/wind blowing underneath the Main passenger Stateroom door into the Corridor. I Have had to sometimes place a rolled up towel on the corridor floor outside the stateroom that has their balcony door open to stop the annoying whistling noise at night time.

Any one else suffered ?

All I know is when I left the door open nightly on a recent Caribbean cruise ( not with Cunard ) it was the best feeling ever. simply marvelous !!

All I know is when I left the door open nightly on a recent Caribbean cruise ( not with Cunard ) it was the best feeling ever. simply marvelous !!

Marvellous for you but much for your neighbours.

David.

Doesn't leaving the doors open affect the a/c? It works overtime and affects everyone nearby. Or so the Chief Engineer told us.

Indeed. When QE started for her 1st WC we had a wet bed because condensing water was almosr running out of the A/C. This is a typical issue on italian build cruise ships. QM2 is not affected.

Its your balcony door and you should be able to keep it open or closed whenever you want so as long as there is no major storm then it should be ok.

Should I be able to leave the shower and faucets running 24x7 because they are "mine"? And how about the mini-fridge door? :confused:

One thing for sure...my neighbors did not think about their neighbors when they were constantly banging their balcony doors shut at all hours of the day and night.

This happens less now that people are not supposed to smoke on their balconies.

You would have been more aware of the noise because your own balcony door was open.

Perhaps your neighbours were not aware that such noise carries to the next cabin so they could have some excuse. However, you are now aware of the effect that an open door has on other people's comfort so you have no excuse. If you choose to do this in future, you are doing it in the full knowledge of its effect on the ship and on your neighbouring staterooms. It is now your choice.

You would have been more aware of the noise because your own balcony door was open.

Perhaps your neighbours were not aware that such noise carries to the next cabin so they could have some excuse. However, you are now aware of the effect that an open door has on other people's comfort so you have no excuse. If you choose to do this in future, you are doing it in the full knowledge of its effect on the ship and on your neighbouring staterooms. It is now your choice.[/QUOTE]

It always was!

Perhaps your neighbours were not aware that such noise carries to the next cabin so they could have some excuse. However, you are now aware of the effect that an open door has on other people's comfort so you have no excuse. If you choose to do this in future, you are doing it in the full knowledge of its effect on the ship and on your neighbouring staterooms. It is now your choice.[/QUOTE]

It always was!

Yes, you are certainly right !!

I go to the sea to be on the sea, to smell it, see it, feel it, hear it. My door will remain open. If I wanted to be confined, I would go to Vegas and never venture out. I am sorry if that makes me selfish, by why else would you be on a ship if not to embrace this privilege?

Jeanne

I go to the sea to be on the sea, to smell it, see it, feel it, hear it. My door will remain open. If I wanted to be confined, I would go to Vegas and never venture out. I am sorry if that makes me selfish, by why else would you be on a ship if not to embrace this privilege?

Jeanne

Ciao Andiamo. The rules of the sea are different.

A ship is not a democracy.

The Master sets the rules, not the passengers.

You want to leave your balcony door open? Hope you aren't sailing in an area where mosquitos are a problem...but no worries, just have a grand time. -S.

No screens on the balcony door on your recent Caribbean cruise. So no worries about mosquitoes then?

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/

The more I read about passengers leaving their balcony door open day and night, the more I think there is a need to install screen doors on ships' balconies. It won't do much to limit the spread of mosquito born illness, but at least it's an effort. -S.

Marvellous for you but much for your neighbours.

David.

David,

Who doesn't love an unscreened balcony door in the Caribbean? Never mind about the air conditioning, there is the issue of the very talented mosquitos in the Caribbean. They hitch a ride on the ship and spread their joy at what various ports around the world. Marvelous job they've done so far, those mosquitos.

Salacia

Jeanne

And do you go through life breaking all the rules? Yes I do believe you are selfish. The rules are made for a reason not to just annoy you. It does affect the air conditioning of cabins in your section. I do hope I don't have to cruise with you in the cabin next to you. I understand you like to feel the sea etc but if that is the case go on a small sailing ship so you can really connect with the sea.

You want to leave your balcony door open? Hope you aren't sailing in an area where mosquitos are a problem...but no worries, just have a grand time. -S.

I passed Africa with the doors open.

I passed through Suez Canal and Panama Canal.

No fly or moscito.

When you get closer to land the risk is considerably higher.

I passed Africa with the doors open.

I passed through Suez Canal and Panama Canal.

No fly or moscito.

When you get closer to land the risk is considerably higher.

Are you black and blue yet? I am covered with the beating I am getting.

J

Seriously, where do you find these "rules"? I have been on 40 cruises and have never heard of a rule about leaving your balcony door open, nor have I ever heard of a rule about not drying your clothes on your balcony.

Since I started reading about these issues on Cruise Critic, I have been paying special attention and still have heard absolutely nothing on these subjects. Where do you find them?

Are you black and blue yet? I am covered with the beating I am getting.

J

Andiamo, I'm sorry if I have given offense. I completely understand why it is sometime necessary to leave the balcony door slightly opened while sleeping. When the ships' air filtration system is malfunctioning, there is little alternative but to seek fresh air by leaving the balcony door ajar.

For those who have been on ships where there was an large number of passenger suffering from respiratory illness when the decks were off limits, fresh air is at a premium - so why shouldn't passengers leave their balcony door open?

Perhaps if the air filtration system on board was better maintained, there would be no need for passengers to keep their balcony doors open in the hope of getting a breath of fresh air?

Ah, but to maintain the system requires expenditures that reduced sale prices can't sustain.

Having said that, I would not keep my balcony door open while sleeping, unless there was a compelling reason - not just a matter of personal choice knowing that it would inconvenience fellow passenger and possibly be a hazard to the ship.

Again, I'm sorry for any offense - I do understand your love of the sea air, and I share that same affection.

Ciao,

Salaica

Edited by Salacia

Seriously, where do you find these "rules"? I have been on 40 cruises and have never heard of a rule about leaving your balcony door open, nor have I ever heard of a rule about not drying your clothes on your balcony.

Since I started reading about these issues on Cruise Critic, I have been paying special attention and still have heard absolutely nothing on these subjects. Where do you find them?

Punkic, I understand that you have been on 40 cruises and never heard a rule about leaving your balcony door open, or heard of any rule about drying laundry on the balcony, and that have you previously mentioned that you ever experienced Noro virus.

But how can you say that you have been "reading about these issues on Cruise

Critic" and yet "still have heard absolutely nothing on these subjects"? You do see the contradiction, I hope? -S.

Edited by Salacia

Punkic, I understand that you have been on 40 cruises and never heard a rule about leaving your balcony door open, or heard of any rule about drying laundry on the balcony, and that have you previously mentioned that you ever experienced Noro virus.

But how can you say that you have been "reading about these issues on Cruise

Critic" and yet "still have heard absolutely nothing on these subjects"? You do see the contradiction, I hope? -S.

LOL. No there is no contradiction, as there is no relationship between official rules and what one reads on on Cruise Critic.

I do not wish to offend but have you in all your 40 cruises never read any of the information (pack) in your cabin? Are you too busy dancing to read the daily programme? On every cruise I have been on I have read information and reminders about not leaving the balcony doors open ( I think there are "sticky " notes on the balcony doors or nearby too) and reminders about not leaving laundry on balconies. the same source also talks about not throwing anything overboard due to the risk of it blowing back elsewhere. Information packs in cabins are there for a reason.....:rolleyes:

We too have read, on virtually every cruise we have been on, on various cruise lines, that the balcony doors need to be kept closed. The a/c is severely affected, causing enormous condensation to all tye surrounding cabins.

Laundry on the balcony is a fire hazard if a cigarette butt blows back in. And despite requests that passengers don't throw their cigarette butts overboard, we have all seen passengers who think the rules don't apply to them!