Certificate of Birth versus Copy of BC

stebany

I have a copy of my BC which is the actual copy of the certificate. It has all of the information including my parent's address, their signature, etc.

My husband got his from the Registrar of Deeds in the county he was born. This is okay b/c at the bottom it says NC Vital Records. However his only has the basic info. His full name, DOB, County of birth, parents name.

Is his valid? It has the raised seal. Cruise is in two weeks. Freaking out a little as I just found out it may not be.

Get passports and you won't have to worry if his ID is adequate.

Passport is always accepted as the best ID a person can produce for travel.

To answer your question, it might be okay and it might not. I think probably not. When you say 'copy' that is a red alert word. However, raised seal makes it sound acceptable.

If you have a passport office near you, it is possible to get a passport in a day. Costs a bit more but will guarantee your DH proper ID.

I have a copy of my BC which is the actual copy of the certificate. It has all of the information including my parent's address, their signature, etc.

My husband got his from the Registrar of Deeds in the county he was born. This is okay b/c at the bottom it says NC Vital Records. However his only has the basic info. His full name, DOB, County of birth, parents name.

Is his valid? It has the raised seal. Cruise is in two weeks. Freaking out a little as I just found out it may not be.

We honestly have no clue. And the odds are that just about anyone you ask will also have no clue but will certainly offer their opinion. In the final result the only person who matters is the one who will review your documents at the port and make a decision as to whether you can board or miss the cruise (at your own expense). As the other poster mentioned, the way to avoid the doubts, worries, questions, etc. is to get a Passport.

Hank

It sounds as if your husbands BC matches the description of a certified BC as issued by NC.

http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/vitalrecords/faqs.htm

What makes you think it is potentially not acceptable?

Carnival states a "copy" of the birth certificate. My BC from California is an actual photocopy of the paper with my parents info, has my race, has where my dad was employed! It has my mother;s signature and the doctor's signature. It looks like what you would get if you copied your driver's license.

o

My husband's is typewritten, not a copy of anything. It states the basics: Name, DOB, Parent's names and ages, date filed, where parent's were born. It is signed by the Pitt County register of Deeds b/c we obtained it from the county he was born. Like I said, does have the seal.

I think my biggest concern is mine has all of that info yet his is basic, not really a copy of a certificate, and no signatures, no race, no employment (not sure whats up with that anyway)

Here is mine: http://www.cmbsglobal.com/birthcert.png

Here is his: http://www.cmbsglobal.com/birthcert2.png

Carnival states a "copy" of the birth certificate. My BC from California is an actual photocopy of the paper with my parents info, has my race, has where my dad was employed! It has my mother;s signature and the doctor's signature. It looks like what you would get if you copied your driver's license.

o

My husband's is typewritten, not a copy of anything. It states the basics: Name, DOB, Parent's names and ages, date filed, where parent's were born. It is signed by the Pitt County register of Deeds b/c we obtained it from the county he was born. Like I said, does have the seal.

I think my biggest concern is mine has all of that info yet his is basic, not really a copy of a certificate, and no signatures, no race, no employment (not sure whats up with that anyway)

Here is mine: http://www.cmbsglobal.com/birthcert.png

Here is his: http://www.cmbsglobal.com/birthcert2.png

I cannot see the images where I am now, but do not worry that his BC is not an exact image copy of his birth record on file...most certified BC's these days are computer generated forms, not exact photocopies. The key elements are his name, date and place of birth, filing date, the registrar's seal, the registrar's signature and the full name of his parents. All the other data is not relevant for proof of citizenship.

Eta-I was able to access the BC images from a different computer. You are both fine. Your BC is just like mine, only mine was issued about 25 years earlier in CA. Your husband's is typical of the commonly issued computer generated BC's these days. Now go remove those images from the Internet, you don't want all that data sitting around for identity thieves.

I cannot see the images where I am now, but do not worry that his BC is not an exact image copy of his birth record on file...most certified BC's these days are computer generated forms, not exact photocopies. The key elements are his name, date and place of birth, filing date, the registrar's seal, the registrar's signature and the full name of his parents. All the other data is not relevant for proof of citizenship.

Eta-I was able to access the BC images from a different computer. You are both fine. Your BC is just like mine, only mine was issued about 25 years earlier in CA. Your husband's is typical of the commonly issued computer generated BC's these days. Now go remove those images from the Internet, you don't want all that data sitting around for identity thieves.

Thank you!!! Yes, probably dumb of me to put them on my server but I had to know and was at a loss. Next time, PASSPORT!!!

I just read the receipt for his copy and it clearly states "Certified copy of BC". Should have read that first. THank you again.

Archived