How to get Best Price on Flight to San Juan

aruss

I need help from all you RCI So. Caribbean cruisers! We will be cruising out of San Juan in December. I have two questions:

1. I'm wondering what is the best price you have gotten to SJU? I know it depends on where you are coming from-we'll be traveling from the central US.

2. Have you found it cheaper to book separate flights rather than round trip (i.e. book flight to Miami or Orlando and then a flight to San Juan from there)?

I have a flight on hold til midnight for $382 with taxes and fees. It seems pretty good but should I hold out a little longer?

What is your experience? Thanks!

When in December? If it's over the holidays, I'd grab that rate immediately. From Chicago I just found a rate of around $200 for next April. I thought that was awesome! Most of the time I've paid $300-$350. But I've never check prices for December. We normally sail in April/May or Sept/Oct.

the best time to check prices is late tuesday night into wednesday morning...

i have found some of my best fares then....

we flew to san juan 3 years ago in december for $153 PP from PIT..last Oct was higher but not that much....

Marsha

We are flying out of Washington (Dulles) for 242pp. I used sidestep.com to check rates and this was the cheapest that I have seen to San Juan. Also, some of the airlines grant you travel credits if the fare goes down and you call them and ask for it. I know United gives credit, I don't think that American does.

Best I've got is $195 pp out of MCO non-stop. AA seems to be the major in the Southern Car. But sometimes Sprint beats them. AA will also take your bags at the terminal and stow them on the plane. I've got two cruises booked in Dec. one on the Crown (12/1) the other on Serenade (12/15). Can only take one. Would rather go on the RCL one but it comes back on Dec 21, a Xmas backout date and the fair is $100 more pp. I check prices a couple times a week. Best I got so far on the Crown cruise was $201 pp out of MCO. I've got until Sept. to deside. They say book early or just before to get the best rate.

We've never got flights for less than $400 out of MCI (Kansas City) so your price may be really good. So much depends on time, airport, and date. I'm not willing to do one of the ones that have a 6-8 hour lay over so that could make a difference too. I did get seats for a client for just under $300 but for our airport that very unusual.

Orbitz is usually where I start, to see a good view of all airlines from cheapest to most expensive. Some are nonstop & some stop to pickup but you do not get off so they can just go. $189-$300 is the view now. Then Kayak had a $150 fare. So check them both out. A fare you like get the airline, then go to their site to see what they re offering, if not that fare then book there.

I book RT since it is usually cheaper.

I just checked the prices from Dullus to SJU I booked on Orbit it was 265 not 295 with insurance and tax. I booked AA down and United back. I wanted nonstop and was able to pick seats for all 5 family members to sit together. Rccl wanted 625 per person one way! Both carriers participate in the express luggage program off the ship.

Wow, you are all so helpful! I decided to let my held tickets expire last night, but luckily they are still the same price today, and now have time to look a little more. If anyone else has any more thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I'll be spending the day on the computer researching flights!

I just checked the prices from Dullus to SJU I booked on Orbit it was 265 not 295 with insurance and tax. I booked AA down and United back. I wanted nonstop and was able to pick seats for all 5 family members to sit together. Rccl wanted 625 per person one way! Both carriers participate in the express luggage program off the ship.

We did the same exact thing AA going and United coming back for 242 from Dulles to San Juan. We also booked directly with each airline...much cheaper and we got our whole family seated together.

We always use kayak to try different dates, and even airports to get the best deal.

For San Juan we saved a bundle when we discovered last year that if we flew out of Burlington Vt rather than Montreal (where we are) the return air would be $ 304.00pp rather than just over $ 800.00!!!! :eek: Well worth the two hour drive across the border. (BTW it was with US Air and everything went great!)

For next January's San Juan Crown Princess cruise we are doing the Burlington return thing for all of $ 282.00 pp!!!! :D

Kayak and using a little patience saved us a fortune

Too, you didn't mention how many of you will be traveling.... If it's with kids, I'd definitely go for the best non stop you can find. If not going non stop, you might want to plan for delays, if you are making stops and fly ahead one day. Dec. can be wicked weather delays.

We made our res thru US Air/United I believe, left thru Chicago non stop. Last February. I believe we originally paid about 400 r. trip pp. The rate did go down once, and we called and got a 52$ credit each on future travel. We used it already, so it was a good deal for us. Be sure to ask if you see it go down (on any airline.) Doesn't hurt to ask for the travel voucher. Rarely do you get the money back.

Last time we went to San Juan, we flew SWA into Fort Lauderdale and spent the night. The next morning flew AA and both flights together were less than 300. Of course I had the hotel room to pay for but I had another days vacation :)

Archived