St Thomas to St John Trunk Bay on your own cost

poison7fl

OK just got back, and for those wondering on the current cost of going it on you own, here it is.

$10 Per person - Taxi from Havensight Port to Red Hook Ferry

$7 Per person - Ferry ride to St John

To Trunk Bay;

$6 Per person - Taxi from St John port to Trunk Bay

$4 Per person - Admission to Trunk Bay Park

Reverse costs are the same.

Approximate time it takes is about an hour and a half each way if you catch everything on time. If you have to wait for taxi's or Ferry, that will be longer.

Edited by poison7fl

Thanks for the update. We're heading that way the beginning of February. I'm finding two different ferry times. One is showing it leaves Red Hook and Cruz on the hour but the other is showing Red Hook on the 1/2 hour and Cruz on the hour which I think is what I remember. Can you verify?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As noted they depart both ways on the hour and are very reliable. poison's $46pp round trip price is correct, add a little more from Crown. Figure spending 1.5 - 2 hrs more going to STJ vs the East End beaches of STT but that's part of the experience.

Edited by blue_water

This is correct, we did this on our own when we stayed at the Frenchmans reef last year. The ship excursion was $70 each even for my 14 year old. The excursion brought us back to havensight and we werent allowed to see anything else on st john which is a shame. The port at st john and other beaches are spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

I reviewed the posts for independent travel to St Johns before my cruise as I prefer to excursion san Cruise ship tour. However after my very scary/dangerous open aired taxi ride ($11. per person each way ) plus the cost of the ferry and then another taxi to Trunk Bay and back with my travel companions, the cruise ship tour would have been the way to go even though its $7-10 per person more. The travel time to Red Hook is about 35-45 minutes each way depending on traffic not to mention the two laned road which is IMO dangerous. The difference in price is worth not having to worry about missing the ship and safety is priceless. I post very few reviews but felt this one was important. Happy Sailing to ALL.

I reviewed the posts for independent travel to St Johns before my cruise as I prefer to excursion san Cruise ship tour. However after my very scary/dangerous open aired taxi ride ($11. per person each way ) plus the cost of the ferry and then another taxi to Trunk Bay and back with my travel companions, the cruise ship tour would have been the way to go even though its $7-10 per person more. The travel time to Red Hook is about 35-45 minutes each way depending on traffic not to mention the two laned road which is IMO dangerous. The difference in price is worth not having to worry about missing the ship and safety is priceless. I post very few reviews but felt this one was important. Happy Sailing to ALL.

Sorry to read your post, mainly because your comment about the ride being "very scary/dangerous" is so ridiculous and it may cause someone else to miss out on such an easy and enjoyable self-excursion to STJ, or even to the East End of STT. The ride through STT to Red Hook is a part of the experience and is not a scary one to the vast majority of folks who taxi. This option is taken by thousands of people each week who have a wonderful day!

Edited by blue_water

Gypsychick - Don't let blue intimidate or make you feel bad. If you read this forum often you will see that anyone who does not agree with blue is made to feel ridiculous or ill-informed. This forum is supposed to present various points of view so that guests to the Virgin Islands can be informed and make choices that suit their interests, comfortable level, and financial constraints. It was good of you to comment. (And by the way- you are not the only visitor who has expressed opinions similar to yours!) I live here and take offense when others try to dictate how everyone else should experience the islands. :)

Taxi rides in STT can be a dangerous adventure, but so can ones in Philly, New York, Memphis, New Orleans, etc... I think BlueWater is just trying to emphasis the point of don't let one person's bad experiences keep you from missing out. We love STT and have taxied all over the island. There were times I almost screamed out loud, but would I have wanted to miss out on what we did, no. There is so much to see and do on STT and STJ that you simply will not get to experience on a ship excursion.

IMO the idiots in the states that text while driving, have excessive road rage, and act like they are the only ones on the road are much scarier than the STT cab drivers. And we live in AR, curvy, two lane roads here are the norm.

OK just got back, and for those wondering on the current cost of going it on you own, here it is.

$10 Per person - Taxi from Havensight Port to Red Hook Ferry

$7 Per person - Ferry ride to St John

To Trunk Bay;

$6 Per person - Taxi from St John port to Trunk Bay

$4 Per person - Admission to Trunk Bay Park

Reverse costs are the same.

Approximate time it takes is about an hour and a half each way if you catch everything on time. If you have to wait for taxi's or Ferry, that will be longer.

That's $54 per person and lots of wated time. Celebrity offers a 6-1/2 hour excursion to St. Johns which gives you about 4 hours on your own. Boat picks you up right at the pier, does a ride along the coast of St. Johns and drops you at red hook. less than 45 minutes each way, they served a great rum punch on the return trip last time we took it, and, most importantly, no worries about missing the ship. It's really a nobrainer!

Gypsychick - Don't let blue intimidate or make you feel bad. If you read this forum often you will see that anyone who does not agree with blue is made to feel ridiculous or ill-informed :)

Wow - so untrue. Livethelife you need to be a bit less nasty and vindictive and a bit more accurate. Bad day?

Gypsychick again, sorry you didn't enjoy your day because of the taxi ride, and of course you are entitled to post your experiences, no question there. A van would be a better option for you next visit as O2B mentioned. But we just want to help others considering this option feel comfortable and not feel that they have to rely on the cruise line excursion for a safe experience. This is jst such an easy and safe self-excursion folks need to know there's nothing to fear. But your post will be helpful to those who may have a similar problem and will now think to look for a van.

That's $54 per person and lots of wated time. Celebrity offers a 6-1/2 hour excursion to St. Johns which gives you about 4 hours on your own. Boat picks you up right at the pier, does a ride along the coast of St. Johns and drops you at red hook. less than 45 minutes each way, they served a great rum punch on the return trip last time we took it, and, most importantly, no worries about missing the ship. It's really a nobrainer!

Going to STJ on your own is a great experience and generally gives you the most time on the island. No queue at the dock, and you just have more freedom and flexibility for the return. And the 20 min ferry between Red Hook and Cruz Bay is much nicer than the ferry from CA which is ofter a rough ride in the open waters. You should figure another 1.5 - 2 hrs in travel time when going to STJ vs the East End, for example. So on a short port day it may not be worth it.

But for most folks the self-excursion via Red Hook to Cruz Bay for $34pp roundtrip is the only way to go, and the $25pp island tour followed by some time at Cinnamon Bay (no fee and gorgeous) then shopping in Cruz is a great day!:) Just our opinion of course, and the cruise line excursion is a good choice for some folks. who are looking for an easy day with a larger group.

Edited by blue_water

Going to STJ on your own is a great experience and generally gives you the most time on the island. No queue at the dock, and you just have more freedom and flexibility for the return. And the 20 min ferry between Red Hook and Cruz Bay is much nicer than the ferry from CA which is ofter a rough ride in the open waters. You should figure another 1.5 - 2 hrs in travel time when going to STJ vs the East End, for example. So on a short port day it may not be worth it.

But for most folks the self-excursion via Red Hook to Cruz Bay for $34pp roundtrip is the only way to go, and the $25pp island tour followed by some time at Cinnamon Bay (no fee and gorgeous) then shopping in Cruz is a great day!:) Just our opinion of course, and the cruise line excursion is a good choice for some folks. who are looking for an easy day with a larger group.

Carnival just changed our port time from 8-6 to now 8-4. Do you think we have enough time to enjoy St John if we do it on our own. Seems like travel time of 3-3.5 hours won't leave us a ton of time. Thinking we may only get 3-4 hours max.

Bummer! :rolleyes: That is a shame, 10 hrs is a nice day to have in port but at least you're docking at Havensight which is a plus. But yes if you can make the 9AM Red Hook ferry you'd have a good 4 hrs on the island before returning on the 2PM so still a nice day. Even with the 10AM ferry still a good day.

The East End beaches of STT are also beautiful if you decide it's not worth it.

Good luck.

It would be nice if they could give you more time at another port when they take time from you! :D

Bummer! :rolleyes: That is a shame, 10 hrs is a nice day to have in port but at least you're docking at Havensight which is a plus. But yes if you can make the 9AM Red Hook ferry you'd have a good 4 hrs on the island before returning on the 2PM so still a nice day. Even with the 10AM ferry still a good day.

The East End beaches of STT are also beautiful if you decide it's not worth it.

Good luck.

It would be nice if they could give you more time at another port when they take time from you! :D

They actually did give us 2 extra hours in Antigua which was nice. But this was where we really needed the extra time. Last time in St. Thomas we did Sapphire Beach and all the locals said next time we have to do St John. So we may roll the dice and take a little less beach time to go. It will be our 3rd straight stop so we will be ok with a shorter day.

• 3 months later...

Hi, you live on the islands? I have a few questions if you don't mind? We are coming down for the week and may rent a minivan. Can you offer any advice on discount or dependable.com rentals? Since we will have 6 people may get pricy renting cabs and want to visit St. John's

Gypsychick - Don't let blue intimidate or make

you feel bad. If you read this forum often you will see that anyone who does not agree with blue is made to feel ridiculous or ill-informed. This forum is supposed to present various points of view so that guests to the Virgin Islands can be informed and make choices that suit their interests, comfortable level, and financial constraints. It was good of you to comment. (And by the way- you are not the only visitor who has expressed opinions similar to yours!) I live here and take offense when others try to dictate how everyone else should experience the islands. :)