RSSC Upgrades Internet, Phone Services Fleetwide

Joanandjoe

I'm interested in the reaction of CC members to this news story. On the one hand, RSSC was woefully out of date and expensive for its internet connections, and that was unworthy of a great cruise line. On the other hand, I go on cruises to get away from cell phones and the internet, so I'll consciously avoid hot spots. All and all, I think the upgrade is necessary, but that it's a mixed blessing. What do you think? Joe

• 1 month later...

I would like to see the article you are referring to regarding upgrades on internet service. We are going on 6/3/06 on the Navigator and since it's 14 days, we want to make sure we can be on the internet during weekdays in case the office needs us.

Suzie

Yes, I don't know of what upgrades you speak. I do know that some of us have ill elderly relatives at home, and would like to be able to maintain better contact than we have in the past on Radisson. By this, I don't mean having phone conversations in the dining room, or anything like that. But, in this day of global communications availability at a low price, I am findinig that I simply must have the ability to have someone from home be able to page me to a private phone at virtually any time. And the $25/minute incomming and $10 to $15/minute outgoing charge to use the phone in my suite just does not cut it, considering the fares we pay to cruise Radisson. I know that soon, those of us who have cruised Radisson a certain number of nights will recive a prescribed number of hours free on the ship's phone. This is good, for those of us who qualify. But what of the others?

Thanks,

Richard

I would like to see the article you are referring to regarding upgrades on internet service. We are going on 6/3/06 on the Navigator and since it's 14 days, we want to make sure we can be on the internet during weekdays in case the office needs us.

Suzie

I was just on the Navigator a few weeks ago. The Navigator has wifi in all its lounges and the internet library. Best to bring a laptop so as not to have to wait for one of the ships computers.

Thanks so much for your reply Ata. Did you try using a laptop in your room on Navagator? Did you find the ship's internet staff were helpful in making your laptop work wireless, or do you know how to do that yourself? I am scheduled to be in the dreaded aft section on the 9th deck. We traveled on Voyager November 2004 on a half full PBS spotlight cruise (Athens to Barcelona) and loved everything about Radisson. Internet cafe was never fully occupied and my cell worked there too. I did not have my laptop.

Then, believe it or not, we went on Carnival's Liberty which went to Europe. I did bring my laptop and used it in my room. (it was a pretty neat cruise, albeit I had been spoiled by Radisson's luxuries). Reading these boards has made me nervous about the Navigator vibration!! Also, I'm bummed about Radisson's "upgraded" air flight as they have me going Houston to Chicago to Frankfort to Nice on my 6/3/06 cruise Monaco to Copenhagen. I likely will never use the air they provide again.

Suzie

Thanks so much for your reply Ata. Did you try using a laptop in your room on Navagator?
yes we tried...unsuccessfully. I didn't mind going into the internet library. I found it was never too busy. Also all the other lounges work too.
Did you find the ship's internet staff were helpful in making your laptop work wireless, or do you know how to do that yourself?
I can do photoshop but am computer illiterate when it comes to setting up things like wifi. My partner did that, and I understand he needed some help. The staff was very helpful.

SPKR,

You can choose your own flights on RSSC. They have an air concierge. Your TA can find out from the air desk what flights are available to you. They just accepted the flight that was booked and did not check to see if that was the best route for you. We always see what flights are available and select the one of our choice.

Archived