Coin Star saving :)

I keep a coin bank to help save money before the cruise. We actually save quite a bit that way. The hard part can be not dipping into it or giving it to the kids here and there. Today I went to the grocery store, used the Coin Star machine, got my money voucher and bought a Carnival gift card from them. Now I have it allocated and untouchable. I plan on doing this many times in the next few months. :D

215383981_whaletailbank.jpg.af1d3ec8c6957639b3743e477a4c0b79.jpg

992379628_carnivalcard.jpg.17b50df2520da11c934834d483e28959.jpg

What an awesome idea! What grocery store did you get the gift card from? I can't seem to find them in any of ours.

And love your whale tail bank! Did you get it onboard?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got it at Ralphs/Kroger, but other stores like Lowes haves them too.

I got the whale tail on board one of my cruises. It was filled with a cocktail, then can later be used as a bank. It was a little on the pricey side, but i thought it was cute.

• 2 weeks later...

My credit union has a fee-free coin counter; it credits the total right to your account, It's in the "kids card" area but they have no objection to adults using it. After I cash in all the coins, I take out the amount in ones and fives for tipping an small purchases along the way. I have about $80 saved up for our cruise in June.

Yes, go to the bank -- not CoinStar. Don't they deduct something like 9 1/2% for the privilege of using their machine? In contrast, the credit union charges nothing.

Keep in mind, too, that saving changes doesn't actually increase your savings. It's just keeping your money in a different form so that you feel less tempted to spend it. If you're looking for ways to decrease your spending, you would do better by bringing your lunch to work, skipping those new shoes, renting a DVD instead of going to the movies, or whatever small things you typically spend upon.

Yes, go to the bank -- not CoinStar. Don't they deduct something like 9 1/2% for the privilege of using their machine? In contrast, the credit union charges nothing.

Keep in mind, too, that saving changes doesn't actually increase your savings. It's just keeping your money in a different form so that you feel less tempted to spend it. If you're looking for ways to decrease your spending, you would do better by bringing your lunch to work, skipping those new shoes, renting a DVD instead of going to the movies, or whatever small things you typically spend upon.

My bank doesn't count for free. The grocery store was convenient and didn't take too much of a cut. If you opt to turn the coins into one of the gift cards offered on the screen, they take zero.

I already bring lunch to work, rarely buy new clothes and shoes (and then it's often Target), we rarely go to the movies, etc. This is just another fun way to allocate (like that word better than saving? :) ) funds for our cruise. :)

Just a heads up:

The gift cards can only be applied towards the cost of the cruise ticket and settling your onboard sign and sail account at the end of the cruise. Carnival will still need a debit/credit card to place a pending charge or cash to put down as a deposit on the account.

I was going to do this for saving up for the S&S card onboard, but decided against it since it can only be applied as charges are posted to your S&S account.

Be sure to separate your trip expenses savings from the gift cards :-)

Edited by 20somethingguy

I keep a coin bank to help save money before the cruise. We actually save quite a bit that way. The hard part can be not dipping into it or giving it to the kids here and there. Today I went to the grocery store, used the Coin Star machine, got my money voucher and bought a Carnival gift card from them. Now I have it allocated and untouchable. I plan on doing this many times in the next few months. :D

It's funny you mention this. We are cruising HAL Boston to Bermuda in May, and I thought it would be fun to save "spare" change this way too. I am using a big water bottle, and because it's kind of big any progress is NOT showing hardly at all lol. But we have been doing well putting money in and leaving it there. I figure it will be extra spending money to cover transportation costs to the port (it's a two hour drive for us) and some drinks and lunch in Bermuda. I'm hoping I get a pleasant surprise when I bring it to Coin Star the week before our cruise. Happy cruising :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

• 2 months later...

I have been taking 20.00 each Friday and hide it and don't touch it. Now I got a very welcome visit from one of my nephews on his way from Nashville to PA and I am one of those Aunts who likes to give my nephews some gas money and take them for a meal so I dipped into the stash since I never have cash on me. Well on my way home from work I stopped at the bank and got the amount of money out of the bank plus a Penalty charge. Wasn't out of the hiding sport 12 hrs and still paid the penalty. Lol