LHR lounges

matamanoa

Are you thinking of any particular lounge? And when you're thinking of booking in advance, does that mean that you'd have to pay to get into a lounge? I'm not on top of the rules of the lounges there, but I would expect most of them to be for premium passengers and frequent flyers only, so that you can't use them even if you're prepared to pay - although I think that there are some which can be paid for.

I was in the United Lounge, in Terminal 2, in LHR this past Wednesday. Great lounge with quality drinks and food. I was flying business class on United. I believe if one is flying a United flight, they can buy a day pass to get in, but they had better ask United in advance.

Was in the Lounge from ~ 12:30-16:00 and the Lounge was not full.

Should I book in advance or take my chances when I am there in June and pop in, hoping they have space?

Lounges generally are not "first come, first served" spaces into which one just "pops in" for free if there is space available. They are usually reserved for those flying business/first on a particular airline or its partners, and/or those with elite level frequent flyer status on a particular airline or its partners. There are also some that allow admittance with one or another premium credit cards. Sometimes when one does not otherwise qualify for admittance, one can buy a day pass if there is space available and certain qualifications are met (ex. must be flying that particular airline that day)

To my knowledge, none of the above allow reserving a spot in advance. On occasion, if lounge capacity is maxed out, one may be denied entry even if one otherwise meets the qualifying criteria. (Although the Alitalia lounge at FCO doesn't seem to have a max capacity, as they routinely allow in far more people than the lounge can reasonably accommodate, LOL)