Need suggestions for cruising with special needs daughter

cowgirl63

Our family is sailing in December on the Conquest and our daughter with Cerebral Palsy is accompanying us. She uses a non-electric wheelchair for getting from point A to B. She can, with assistance, walk short distances w/o the use of chair. My question is, how handicapped accessible are the ports in Nassau, Grand Turks, Amber Cove, Half Moon Cay?? I would appreciate any suggestions or tips if possible. Also wondered if there are any excursions that special needs individuals can participate in? Thank you!!:)

Amber Cove in the cruiseline created port will be fine. At Halfmoon Cay, there are beach wheelchairs that you can borrow. The pool area at GT is accessible and I think I have read they have beach wheelchairs too. You might want to consider a cabana at HMC and GT for places to rest out of the sun. The cabanas at Amber Cove are not very accessible and not great locations, IMO. As for Nassau, very rough sidewalks and streets. I wouldn't do it personally.

I don't have info on shore excursions, sorry.

Traveling with wheelchairs/scooters/transport chairs/canes all around the world. I recommend that you don't worry too much about accessibility because as a rule of thumb, you will never be at 100%, especially outside of the USA. With that in mind, you stated she can walk and you have a push wheelchair. The combination of both of those are great, because, it now opens the door to just about anything within her capabilities. (beaches are tough but doable). You might also consider getting a transport chair, which are chairs that fold into very small manageable packages for those traveling with the disabled traveler. They fold easily so you can take the into taxi's or busses. Very good investment, and you can pick them up for between $100 and $200.

Excursions are hit or miss. Cruise lines can only offer disabled friendly excursions if a local company has them. We usually make our own excursions using busses, and taxi's. Do a little research on line, and pick things she would like to see, and take the taxi. (that's why you need the transport wheelchair)

Traveling with wheelchairs/scooters/transport chairs/canes all around the world. I recommend that you don't worry too much about accessibility because as a rule of thumb, you will never be at 100%, especially outside of the USA. With that in mind, you stated she can walk and you have a push wheelchair. The combination of both of those are great, because, it now opens the door to just about anything within her capabilities. (beaches are tough but doable). You might also consider getting a transport chair, which are chairs that fold into very small manageable packages for those traveling with the disabled traveler. They fold easily so you can take the into taxi's or busses. Very good investment, and you can pick them up for between $100 and $200.

Excursions are hit or miss. Cruise lines can only offer disabled friendly excursions if a local company has them. We usually make our own excursions using busses, and taxi's. Do a little research on line, and pick things she would like to see, and take the taxi. (that's why you need the transport wheelchair)

Very helpful! Thank you so much!! :)