Anthem in October with New York visit?

truckswain

My DW would like to tour the New York City sites- Times Square, Central Park, Broadway (with a show) and the 9/11 Memorial and then cruise on the Anthem (My favorite part).

We are looking at October 27TH 2018, myself and my DW would be travelling. We would fly from Toronto to Newark, on Thursday morning, Uber to Hilton Newark Penn Station. Spend Thursday touring New York Uptown, Broadway Show Thursday night. Friday we would tour 9/11 Memorial. We would use the train and subway to travel into New York (if I start now I may just have enough time to understand the NJ/NY subway system).

Saturday we would Uber from the Hilton to Cape Liberty and then Uber from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport after the cruise.

Does this seem reasonable?

PS - thank you to 138East for all contributions on this Board, really enjoyed Learning.

• 1 month later...

We did that last year and had a blast! We stayed in Times Square and did Central Park and a Broadway show on the same day (it was a lot of walking, but very enjoyable). The 9/11 Memorial on a separate day will work too. You can buy your tickets ahead of time; we did the guided tour and then had some time on our own. We spent 5 nights pre-cruise in NYC and had a blast!

Hope that helps!

Karen

My DW would like to tour the New York City sites- Times Square, Central Park, Broadway (with a show) and the 9/11 Memorial and then cruise on the Anthem (My favorite part).

We are looking at October 27TH 2018, myself and my DW would be travelling. We would fly from Toronto to Newark, on Thursday morning, Uber to Hilton Newark Penn Station. Spend Thursday touring New York Uptown, Broadway Show Thursday night. Friday we would tour 9/11 Memorial. We would use the train and subway to travel into New York (if I start now I may just have enough time to understand the NJ/NY subway system).

Saturday we would Uber from the Hilton to Cape Liberty and then Uber from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport after the cruise.

Does this seem reasonable?

PS - thank you to 138East for all contributions on this Board, really enjoyed Learning.

Sorry - missed this post completely. Your plan is totally reasonable. Uber from the airport to the Newark Penn Station Hilton will work. If you have the time and can manage your luggage, you can go to the P4 Airtrain station (free) and take the free hotel shuttle to the Hilton (be sure it is the Penn Station Hilton)

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

We did that last year and had a blast! We stayed in Times Square and did Central Park and a Broadway show on the same day (it was a lot of walking, but very enjoyable). The 9/11 Memorial on a separate day will work too. You can buy your tickets ahead of time; we did the guided tour and then had some time on our own. We spent 5 nights pre-cruise in NYC and had a blast!

Hope that helps!

Karen

It does thanks!!

Sorry - missed this post completely. Your plan is totally reasonable. Uber from the airport to the Newark Penn Station Hilton will work. If you have the time and can manage your luggage, you can go to the P4 Airtrain station (free) and take the free hotel shuttle to the Hilton (be sure it is the Penn Station Hilton)

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Thank you for your comment and the links - awesome?

Any particular reason why? We are trying to avoid staying in NY proper to make it easier (and more economical) to get to the Liberty Cruise Port.

If you are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station it's easy. Don't worry. Living on Long Island I walk to the theater district from NY Penn regularly. Loads of people and very safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any particular reason why? We are trying to avoid staying in NY proper to make it easier (and more economical) to get to the Liberty Cruise Port.

After the show I like the convenience of walking back to the hotel (easier) than getting on a train back to Jersey. I have stayed in NJ and the train back just seems to take forever. This is especially true since you are planning to be back in NYC on Friday morning. If you were in NY, you could just get up and take the train to lower Manhattan. I realize that PATH goes from Newark there but it is a longer trip.

After the show I like the convenience of walking back to the hotel (easier) than getting on a train back to Jersey. I have stayed in NJ and the train back just seems to take forever. This is especially true since you are planning to be back in NYC on Friday morning. If you were in NY, you could just get up and take the train to lower Manhattan. I realize that PATH goes from Newark there but it is a longer trip.

It's a personal choice. PATH ride is 22 minutes, which is competitive with most midtown to World Trade subway options. When you add up the hotel savings for 2 nights and the transportation savings from a free hotel shuttle and cheap Uber ride to the port, it can add up to several hundred dollars.

Thank you mskaufman, this is something to consider and it would be neat to stay right in New York.

It's a personal choice. PATH ride is 22 minutes, which is competitive with most midtown to World Trade subway options. When you add up the hotel savings for 2 nights and the transportation savings from a free hotel shuttle and cheap Uber ride to the port, it can add up to several hundred dollars.

Thanks 138east, this was how I was thinking as well. Transportation and hotel costs can be significant. Although staying in the heart New York would be neat as we have never been before.

• 4 months later...

As an update in addition to our Anthem cruise we will also be going on the NCL Escape the following week so travelling and seeing the NY sites have become more complicated.

Leaving on Anthem Oct 27 returning Nov 3rd then leaving

on the Escape on Nov 4th returning Nov 11 and flying home.

Flying in from Toronto on Oct 26th.

Initial plans are to do 9/11 Memorial on the 26th and do Times Square and Broadway on Nov 3rd.

I am struggling with where to stay on the 26th and Nov 3rd. Looking at flights it is more expensive by around $200 to fly into Newark as opposed to LaGuardia.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Keep me straight here: Anthem is sailing from Cape Liberty and Escape from Manhattan?

You have to look at total cost; it will likely cost $100 or so to go from La Guardia to New Jersey, so that's half your price difference right there. Have you priced a ticket into Newark and return from LGA? Not totally crazy...

Are you able to manage your luggage on public transportation, or Amtrak? A reasonable option would be to fly into Newark as planned. Visit NYC from Newark. Take your Anthem cruise. On return, cab, Uber, etc., to EWR (or Newark Penn; defer to Carol on that) and take the train into Manhattan (Amtrak will have more luggage space; NJ Transit will be much less expensive) and look for a hotel in Manhattan. There are now several nice hotels not far from Penn Station/Herald Square (I really like the Renaissance Midtown) where if nothing else you can store your bags for the day while exploring and have a room close to the Manhattan cruise terminal. At the end of the cruise, cab or Uber to Penn Station and NJ Transit to EWR.

Look up the rail connections and see if they make sense to you. That assumes you can handle your bags on the train...

If you use a car service from LGA to Jersey and a car service from Cape Liberty to Manhattan, you'll wash out that $200 difference.

You are correct Anthem leaves from Cape Liberty and Escape from Manhatten.

We can handle our luggage so public transit is an option for sure.

I had not considered flying into Newark and then flying home from LaGuardia.

Thank you for the hotel suggestion.

I just started looking at car service transportation and it is costly to go from NJ to NY

Fly into Newark. The Newark Penn Station Hilton (free airport shuttle and attached to the Station by a skywalk) is very reasonable for your Oct 26 date. Hilton Honors rate is $151 plus tax (free to join) and as low as $135 plus tax for seniors or AAA. It is a 22 minute PATH ride to the World Trade Center. You can Uber to the port.

What is your realistic hotel budget in NYC for Nov 3? It's a Saturday night in early November - not a prime date. I would be looking to book a cancellable hotel and watch the prices. If you want to do Times Square, then you should stay in midtown within walking distance. No reason to book one of the hotels near the Cruiseport unless the price is right (unlikely) because IMO there isn't much going on near 11th & 12th Ave.

For some reason Nov 3 is coming in sky high for Midtown. Something must be going on that weekend. Even my go to cheap suggestions in Financial District high for a Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NY Marathon is Nov 4. That means a Manhattan hotel has to be booked ASAP!

<p>Thanks, I Have found a couple of options including the Comfort Inn Times Square, South area for,$256 CAD.  My concern now is that this hotel (305 W39th Street) will be in an area where roads are closed due to the Marathon and we will not be able to get a taxi/uber to take us to the Manhattan Cruise Port</p>