Uniworld or Viking

Bella O

We are planning an early spring cruise, either "Castles on the Rhine" or "Burgandy and Provence" with Uniworld, or Viking's "Romantic Danube". Since it's early April, do you think the Southern France itinerary is best? We haven't been to any of these regions, nor ever done a river cruise, and would love some experienced opinions!

Thanks!

We are planning an early spring cruise, either "Castles on the Rhine" or "Burgandy and Provence" with Uniworld, or Viking's "Romantic Danube". Since it's early April, do you think the Southern France itinerary is best? We haven't been to any of these regions, nor ever done a river cruise, and would love some experienced opinions!

Thanks!

Did Castles on the Rhine late March/early April with Uniworld last year. Loved it. Just booked Burgundy and Provence for late March of this year. Can't tell you about the Danube that time of year...

You really can't lose. I do whole-heartedly recommend Uniworld. Granted, I have no experience with any other river cruise lines, but I do know Uniworld will take care of you if something goes awry, and it's all inclusive (except for those optional excursions, of which we've only done 1).

We lived in Augsburg, Germany for four years (its near Munich). April is not a bad month in Germany, but it is still chilly in early April.

We did the Rhone River cruise in France in mid-May and the weather was wonderful. Great cruise.

We decided to book Burgundy/Provence tour as our first river cruise! Mostly based on the chance of better weather a little further south. Jpalbny, maybe we will be on the same cruise? We are on the Avignon to Lyon route commencing March 29th. So excited!

Here are the links to the river cruises we took- Budapest to Amsterdam, and the Burgundy cruise. We loved them both!

The best of both worlds would be to do both if the schedules worked out.

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/burgundy2012.pdf

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/europe2010.pdf

We are always happy to answer questions.

After our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise, we spent a few days in Amsterdam then flew to Copenhagen to do a Baltic cruise.

We spent a week in the Bernese Alps and then did the Burgundy cruise.

Edited by Talisker92

We decided to book Burgundy/Provence tour as our first river cruise! Mostly based on the chance of better weather a little further south. Jpalbny, maybe we will be on the same cruise? We are on the Avignon to Lyon route commencing March 29th. So excited!

Looks fun... We will be on the first cruise of the season, the week before you. Sorry to miss you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
There is an ebook called "Best Vacation Ever" by Cash Peters about your itinerary that you might find interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! I actually downloaded this after the mention on another thread, looks good!

The reason my decision was limited to Uniworld and Viking is because I can only travel the end of March/early April. I would have loved to consider Avalon, AMA and Tauck....hopefully next time i wil have more flexibility!

I think you made a great choice based on your options.

I have been aboard both lines to visit their boats in port as well as read this board for years. As an experienced river cruiser, I would never cruise with Viking but would try Uniworld. I am not a fan of their decor but for overall quality, I would choose Uniworld were those my two options.

I would choose the route that's got warmer weather considering your time frame is early Spring. As far as which line, I have cruised on both Uniworld and Viking and as I'm sure everyone would agree Uniworld is a classier act. With that said, also true that you pay for that difference with higher fees. And starting this year Uniworld also includes open bar all day. So you have to know that you'd be paying even more for that too......however, if you'd take advantage of the booze then it could be an enticement.

And starting this year Uniworld also includes open bar all day. So you have to know that you'd be paying even more for that too......however, if you'd take advantage of the booze then it could be an enticement.

We did... And it was! Lots of nice local wines on our Rhine sailing.