Question on two different itineraries

MarieLill

I am planning a cruise for next year and after narrowing down a timeframe when our group could travel, I am now struggling with chosing between two itineraies. Does anyone have any opinions/remarks on which one you would chose and why? Here are the ports of call:

#1 Picton-Wellington-Napier-Tauranga-Ackland (Feb 24th)

#2 Cruising Milford, Doubtful, Dusky Sounds-Dunedin-Tauranga-Ackland- Bay of Islands (March 6th)

I think cruise line and the amount of time in each port counts the most.

also i am going to oall but one of these ports in one cruise. .

so do more looking as your cruise is not long enough or something not right

I would choose the second itinerary (March 6th). I haven't cruised through Doubtful & Dusky Sounds (yet) but I have been to Milford Sound a couple of times and that is an experience not to be missed.

The Bay of Islands is beautiful too, and very historic.

Tauranga is close to Rotorua for the thermal areas and Maori culture, plus the drive to Rotorua is very pretty.

From Dunedin you could (should?) do an excursion on the Taieri Gorge Railway which goes through some spectacular scenery.

I am planning a cruise for next year and after narrowing down a timeframe when our group could travel, I am now struggling with chosing between two itineraies. Does anyone have any opinions/remarks on which one you would chose and why? Here are the ports of call:

#1 Picton-Wellington-Napier-Tauranga-Ackland (Feb 24th)

#2 Cruising Milford, Doubtful, Dusky Sounds-Dunedin-Tauranga-Ackland- Bay of Islands (March 6th)

Out of the 2 , as presented, I would opt for the one that includes Milford Sound and Bay of Islands.

so do more looking as your cruise is not long enough or something not right

They are both 11 night RCI cruises ex Sydney, so a high percentage of sea days.

It may also depend on price. RCI have cheaper fares but sting you on the drinks prices.

There is also a Princess cruise ex Melbourne 13 nights, HAL 14 nights one way Auckland to Sydney, and a Princess cruise 14 nights one way Sydney to Auckland, all in the same time frame. They all have good itineraries, although none of them go to the Bay of Islands.

Since the OP is from the US a one way cruise could be an option - fly into Sydney and out of Auckland or vice versa.

They are both 11 night RCI cruises ex Sydney, so a high percentage of sea days.

It may also depend on price. RCI have cheaper fares but sting you on the drinks prices.

There is also a Princess cruise ex Melbourne 13 nights, HAL 14 nights one way Auckland to Sydney, and a Princess cruise 14 nights one way Sydney to Auckland, all in the same time frame. They all have good itineraries, although none of them go to the Bay of Islands.

Since the OP is from the US a one way cruise could be an option - fly into Sydney and out of Auckland or vice versa.

I am on Azamara and al lbut this Doubtful bay in there. Drinks are inclided and it si a smaller ship. only 688 guests sailing full. Look at jan 15 and 31st 2016. we get the best dock space around.

I am on Azamara and al lbut this Doubtful bay in there. Drinks are inclided and it si a smaller ship. only 688 guests sailing full. Look at jan 15 and 31st 2016. we get the best dock space around.

The OPs time frame is late February / early March so Azimara probably won't work for them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I would recommend the second itinerary. Any opportunity to cruise through the Fjordlands should not be missed, especially Milford Sound...such a beautiful place. And the Bay of Islands is a great place to visit as well.

• 2 weeks later...