Carambola or Reggae Beach

Misty_Que

Please help me decide between the two or at least tell me what the differences between the two are. Does anyone have any photos of each?

I am trying to decide between two tours. The tour portion is exactly the same but one takes us to Reggae and supplies the beach chairs. The other tour goes to Carambola but doesn't supply the beach chair, we have to pay. Not that it's a big deal I just want to go to a nice beach.

Pictures anyone?

Even though I've never been to Carambola Beach Club, I'll try to help you out a little here. Carambola Beach Club is located on one end of South Friars Bay and Shipwreck Bar/Grill (aka "Shipwreck Beach") is located on the opposite end. Last year (September 2015) we spent part of the day at Shipwreck. Shipwreck has black sand and not much beach, but we loved it and the great views. If it's a clear day, you will be able to see Nevis, St. Kitts' sister island. From everything I've seen posted here on CC, Carambola Beach Club has a much wider beach and it's not black sand, and you still have the views. Many actually prefer Carambola over Shipwreck.

We've also been to Cockleshell Beach (May 2013) and had loungers at a spot right next to Reggae Beach Bar and spend an hour in there for a couple of drinks seeking shelter from rain. The beach itself is nice and we really enjoyed it. There are also great views of Nevis. The view wasn't as great the day we were there due to the rain, overcast skies, and low cloud cover over Nevis.

To better help, I'll let some pictures do the talking. :D I'm attaching a link to another thread, about "Black Sand Beaches", also located on this board (St. Kitts). Disregard that title. In that, I included pictures from Shipwreck and those start on Page 1, Post #2. The third picture down shows the beach and at the far end is where Carambola is. The fourth picture shows the views in the opposite direction, the same view that you'd have from Carambola. On Page 2, Post #26, I "pointed" Carambola out to someone else who asked about it and the distance. I almost forgot, on Page 2, Post #33, another poster included pictures they have from Carambola, so be sure to check those out. South Friars Bay (Carambola/Shipwreck), is only about 15 minutes from where the ships dock, so it's fairly close.

Now for Cockleshell Beach. On Page 1, Post #6, I added some pictures of Cockleshell Beach. Again, we were set up right next to Reggae Beach Bar. My pictures that I posted may not do it justice because of the weather we had that day, but it IS a pretty beach that also has great views. I've seen pictures of it on sunny days and my pictures don't compare. It's located at the southern end of St. Kitts and is about a half hour from where the ships dock.

Here's the link to that thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2333574

Hope this helps make your decision a little easier.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Misty Que,

We went to Carambola for the day January 2016.

We e-mailed Daislyn Sharpe at Carambola reserved two chairs + umbrella, think it was $30 for the day.

Beach & water there very nice.

Had lunch in restaurant, was OK.

If you go, please enjoy

Carambola is a very nice beach and beach club. We went to Shipwreck and walked up to Carambola for a drink. The difference between the two...

Carambola is a beach club, well maintained, more expensive.

Shipwreck... I found out about this from a friend, that this is where the Vet school kids go. Very laid back, cheaper drinks, my personal opinion great food! There are monkeys there, and the Vet kids usually bring their dogs to lay on the beach.

Hope it helps! We will be heading to Shipwreck again in 36 days!!

My "go to place" when visiting St Kitts. A great hangout for ex-pats, locals and many people who spend time in St Kitts and a few cruisers. Great atmosphere & reasonable prices for food and adult beverages. We will be there in frequently in November during our week in St Kitts.

My "go to place" when visiting St Kitts. A great hangout for ex-pats, locals and many people who spend time in St Kitts and a few cruisers. Great atmosphere & reasonable prices for food and adult beverages. We will be there in frequently in November during our week in St Kitts.

So which place are you talking about?

I have been to both over the last few months (just returned from Carambola). I liked Carambola the best.

If you want pictures...I have TONS (and the black sand beach right down from Carambola at Ship Wreck is definitely worth walking down to).

HERES my review on Carambola (loaded with pictures)

HERES my review of Reggae from back in April