Civitavecchia to Rome

jackheart

How can my wife and I get from Civitavecchia to Rome and back in 5 Hours? Any sugestions on what to see in Rome quickly?

That's a tall order.

There is so much to see.

There are also things to do around Civitavecchia .

Scroll down on cc boards See threads on Europe forum.

Lots of info on Rome Civitavecchia area.

Rent a car or train.

How can my wife and I get from Civitavecchia to Rome and back in 5 Hours? Any sugestions on what to see in Rome quickly?

5 hours is very tight timing. It takes about 10/15 minutes to walk to the station in Civitavecchia. From memory the trip into Rome takes about 45 minutes - you arrive into Rome's main station - Termini. The trains are fairly frequent. Return ticket around 10euro.

That's a tall order.

There is so much to see.

There are also things to do around Civitavecchia .

Scroll down on cc boards See threads on Europe forum.

Lots of info on Rome Civitavecchia area.

Rent a car or train.

OP hope you don't mind me jumping in ....

ssb - can I ask what you would suggest doing around Civitavecchia?

DH and MIL are going on a tour to Rome and I will be staying back with the children (almost 5 and almost 1yo). I would like to do a little bit of browsing with the children but there doesn't seem to be very much (that I can find:o ) apart from the promenade near where the ship docks and the small beach ... any other suggestions would be appreciated:)

I cant say enough good things about DriverInRome dot com. They were the bright spot in our trip/cruise from Rome. They picked us up from the port and dropped us at the hotel and picked us up the next day for another tour.

Edited by SSPhone

Difficult if not impossible task. We've done this at least a half dozen times, but never left less than 9 or 10 hours.

First, it depends on where the ship docks. If you are in one of the outlying berths (where we always seem to be) it will take a minimum on 30-40 minutes to walk to the station. Otherwise, you will have to take the shuttle and then walk to the station (that walk alone is 10 minutes). Then hope to time a train departure right (otherwise wait 15-20 minutes). The trip to Termini for us usually takes 50 minutes or more, so leave an hour there. You are at a minimum of 1.5 hours already, double that for return (living totally on the edge) and you will have 2 hours, at best in the Termini station area.

5 hours? Wouldn't think of it.

We stayed in Civitavecchia the last time as wed been to Rome several times before.We were very pleasantly surprised, there are small shops, pavement cafes and an outdoor market all near the port gates.and a McDonalds.;)

I cant remember if the beach was sand or pebbles but with two little ones I think you could easily spend a few hours there. Its a long way into Rome and with the heat IMHO think youd be better staying there than trying to face Rome with them. ( Theres also a free port shuttle that takes you from the ship to the port gates)

Difficult if not impossible task. We've done this at least a half dozen times, but never left less than 9 or 10 hours.

First, it depends on where the ship docks. If you are in one of the outlying berths (where we always seem to be) it will take a minimum on 30-40 minutes to walk to the station. Otherwise, you will have to take the shuttle and then walk to the station (that walk alone is 10 minutes). Then hope to time a train departure right (otherwise wait 15-20 minutes). The trip to Termini for us usually takes 50 minutes or more, so leave an hour there. You are at a minimum of 1.5 hours already, double that for return (living totally on the edge) and you will have 2 hours, at best in the Termini station area.

5 hours? Wouldn't think of it.

Yeah, and figure in how long it takes just to walk out of the Termini station IF you don't get lost on the way out. :eek:

5 hours isn't enough time for a first timer. And if there is any train trouble, things go downhill from there.

Gina

OP hope you don't mind me jumping in ....

ssb - can I ask what you would suggest doing around Civitavecchia?

DH and MIL are going on a tour to Rome and I will be staying back with the children (almost 5 and almost 1yo). I would like to do a little bit of browsing with the children but there doesn't seem to be very much (that I can find:o ) apart from the promenade near where the ship docks and the small beach ... any other suggestions would be appreciated:)

Civitavecchia is a pleasant place to walk around with a nice shopping area and an interesting local market. Every time we've been over the last few years they have been working on the promenade/beach area but it never seems to be finished :rolleyes: If you are happy to venture out a little I would walk to the station - a very easy 10-15 minute walk from where the port bus drops you. Then catch a train to Marinella, which is the first stop from Civitavecchia (around 5-10 mins on the train). There's a really nice sandy beach there which the children would like. Look at Google maps - you can even see the beach on street view.

With limited time you could do all this but probably not Giglio?

but rent a car and go and grab someone else to share from your hotel!

or use train or use buses.

Tarquinia is a quick hop on the train from Civitavecchia (13 minutes or so). There are also buses.

I'd go to Tarquinia, personally, just to see the Etruscan tombs: a must see :D

Marinella, (around 5-10 mins)

is a really nice sandy beach and local resort area!

Giglio for a look on salvage as

crews begin the mammoth task of refloating the Costa Concordia

Civitavecchia - intown (see net)

We have stayed there up on hillside

before and are again in November up at cattle ranch overlooking the town and port! A wonderful restaurant on site with

menu of own beef, and home grown food! A real treat!:)

Edited by ssb

Are you staying overnite or are you there for a b2b?

The 5 hour tour guide sounds good

depending on your situation!

Honestly, I would book the RCI transportation. They loaded us in a bus at the dock (little to no walking), and then we had 5-6 hours of free time in Rome before boarding back onto the bus and getting back to Port.

We went inside the Coliseum, walked through the Forum, had a sit down lunch, and went to the Vatican and saw the Sistine Chapel.

Yes, it was fast, but we got to see the big things anyway.

If you are on a cruise, I'd highly recommend taking a ship excursion. Traffic in Rome can be tricky, and you don't have any time for things to go wrong. Sign up for an excursion and enjoy the ride. ~

If you are on a cruise, I'd highly recommend taking a ship excursion. Traffic in Rome can be tricky, and you don't have any time for things to go wrong. Sign up for an excursion and enjoy the ride. ~

Great point, go, especially if you haven't been to Rome,

and don't expect to get back for longer stay!!

They will not leave without you!

We were on private overnight tour to/from Cairo in 11/12,

and our bus was two hours late back to ship for departure in Alexandria!

The only reason we were not left behind was because,

there were two RCL excursion buses behind us!!!!!!!!

Edited by ssb

Your itinerary only allows five hours off the boat? This seems mighty quick.

I agree with others, this is one time maybe the 'do it yourself' option, while probably the more economical option, is not the smarter option. If you book a tour with RCI directly, they're responsible for getting you back to the ship on time. Rome is so busy and traffic and trains so unpredictable that I would be sweating bullets from the minute I left the dock until I got back safely.

Honestly, I would book the RCI transportation. They loaded us in a bus at the dock (little to no walking), and then we had 5-6 hours of free time in Rome before boarding back onto the bus and getting back to Port.

We went inside the Coliseum, walked through the Forum, had a sit down lunch, and went to the Vatican and saw the Sistine Chapel.

Yes, it was fast, but we got to see the big things anyway.

For a first time in Rome, seeing the Coliseum, the Forum, the Vatican, and the Sistine Chapel is pretty much hitting all the major sights. I'd be really pleased with that tour. All that's missing is the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

Seems awfully tight, and I wouldn't trust the Italian train system that much, unless the next port is someplace still in Italy you can get to it easily and don't mind staying overnight on land...

Lydia

Wow, Thank you SO much Jennywren46, Bobal and ssb!!!

I thought it was going to be a bit of a 'nothing' day for us but looks like we have a lot of options:)

If its a really nice day (we are going in May so may be a little cool still) I think we will head for Marinnela, come back and go to McDonalds (thanks Jenny!!! - that will be a definate hit!) and wander to the market and promenade. If its not such a warm day we will stick around Civitavecchia (I can never remember how to spell that never mind pronounce it properly:o ) and do McDs, the market and the promenade / beach.

Can I just ask, is it fairly straightforward buying train tickets and knowing what train to get on and where to get off? I will be a bit nervous on my own with the two children but if I know the run of things I will be less so I think. I could always opt for a taxi there and train back or vice versa??

Can I just ask, is it fairly straightforward buying train tickets and knowing what train to get on and where to get off? I will be a bit nervous on my own with the two children but if I know the run of things I will be less so I think. I could always opt for a taxi there and train back or vice versa??

It's very easy to buy tickets. It's only a small station and the people who work there speak very good English. From memory I think Marinella is the first stop after leaving Civitavecchia on the train to Rome - it's only about 5 miles away and you can actually see the beach from the train.

By the way there's also a Subway in Civitavecchia with free Wifi where we've spent many an hour killing time before catching our train back to the airport in Rome.

Edited by Bobal

For a first time in Rome, seeing the Coliseum, the Forum, the Vatican, and the Sistine Chapel is pretty much hitting all the major sights. I'd be really pleased with that tour. All that's missing is the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

How do you do all that in 5 hours including travel time .

Maybe a drive by ?

How do you do all that in 5 hours including travel time .

Maybe a drive by ?

The RCCL bus dropped us off basically at the Vatican if I recall correctly and we were told to meet back in 5-6 hours (don't remember the exact timing).

We immediately got in line to the Vatican, which wasn't long. The only thing we wanted to see at the Vatican was the Sistine Chapel so we literally walked very fast through the entire thing to get to the Sistine Chapel.

Then we got a cab and headed over to the Coliseum and spent some time there. The Forum was right next door essentially.

Then we walked back, found a restaurant to sit down and eat at.

That was about it. Other than getting through the Vatican as quickly as possible, we weren't rushed necessarily.

But, we didn't get to see the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps. Just not enough time.

ETA: The bus drive was about 2 hours each way. So if you literally had only 5 hours from start to finish, you could NOT do it all. That's why, in my opinion, I wouldn't do this without using RCCL transportation. At least that way if there's a problem they will hold the ship, or get you back on board as quickly as possible. If you take the train or other transportation, you're on your own!

Edited by wowprincess

Wow, Thank you SO much Jennywren46, Bobal and ssb!!!

I thought it was going to be a bit of a 'nothing' day for us but looks like we have a lot of options:)

If its a really nice day (we are going in May so may be a little cool still) I think we will head for Marinnela, come back and go to McDonalds (thanks Jenny!!! - that will be a definate hit!) and wander to the market and promenade. If its not such a warm day we will stick around Civitavecchia (I can never remember how to spell that never mind pronounce it properly:o ) and do McDs, the market and the promenade / beach.

You would travel all the way to Italy, a wonderful country with some of the BEST food in this world, and you would choose to eat at McDonald's?

If you're a DIY traveler (like myself), then pick one, maybe two at the most, of your top-of-the-list must-see sights, and spend time there. Get off the ship early and take the train into the city. Whether it is the Vatican City, the Colosseum, Ancient Rome, etc., spending a good amount of time in one or two places is better, and less stressful, then trying to see everything (you really don't "see" everything when you're pressured for time).

Another DIY idea is to take a hop on/off bus tour in Rome. There are one or two bus companies that tour the city and stop at the main sights. I think the tours may start/end at the train station.

Last option, as someone mentioned above, is to take a ship excursion. You will be sure to be off the ship early and back to the ship in time.

Buon Viaggio!

Edited by brunello22