San Juan forts

Smallfamily

We will be there one day on a cruise 7-2 pm. We are very active and love to explore on foot. I have printed a map but there is no scale. I'm also not sure where royal docks. Does anyone know how long to walk to the 2 forts and other must see things along the way? Also any unsafe areas to avoid? Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be there one day on a cruise 7-2 pm. We are very active and love to explore on foot. I have printed a map but there is no scale. I'm also not sure where royal docks. Does anyone know how long to walk to the 2 forts and other must see things along the way? Also any unsafe areas to avoid? Thanks everyone

The Old City of San Juan is one of the easiest places to explore on foot. Maybe 10 minutes to San Cristobal from pier, a few minutes more to El Morro. You can walk from one fort to the other along a promenade overlooking the Atlantic. (The only reportedly unsafe area is a neighborhood called La Perla between San Cristobal and the cemetery).

You will walk a little uphill from the pier to Fort San Cristobal. We liked this fort, especially the dungeon. Take the free trolley from San Cristobal to El Morro. You definately don't want to walk between the forts. I believe the forts don't open up until 9:00 am. You might be a little tired after visiting both forts. There are several parks that are nice to sit and people watch.

Another fun thing to do is take a left from the pier and follow the water. The water will be on your left as you follow the path. There will be a large fountain. As you keep walking you will be on the outside of the Old City walls.

Great help everyone thanks. Glad you mentioned they don't open until 9. We want to start exploring as soon as we get off since it's such a short day. Any suggestions of the best way to wander towards the first fort and spend an hour or two until they open?

If you do as the above poster suggests and head left (west) along the waterfront and down the Paseo De la Princessa (big sidewalk with lots of local vendors) you will get to the Raices fountain then turn right and follow the old city wall around and go through the entrance door into the city then just head up the streets and you will run into fort El Morro..... you will not have to just waste time this way. By the time you get up there they will probably be open. They are awesome to see, both in their own way. El Morro is massive and San Cristobal is more detailed and better preserved historically. I love the history of them both. Old San Juan is awesome to walk around in. You will fall in love with the city.

The Fountain

100_5555.jpg

Walking along the city wall

DSCF6750.jpg

A view of the path along the wall from above.

DSCF6765.jpg

The Great lawn in front of El Morro

CopyofCopyofIMG_0218.jpg

Then when you come out of El Morro head East (left) walking or ride the free trolley. It is a nice walk though then you get to walk by the very interesting cemetery. Don't let the stories of La Perla scare you. Don't go down there (off to the left over the wall) you are just fine on the sidewalk on the way to San Cristobal.

I believe Royal Caribbean does NOT use the pier in downtown Old San Juan but rather the Pan Am Pier (which will require a taxi ride into OSJ).

Pan-Am pier is used only for cruises using San Juan as a departure and arrival port, e.g. Sat departure - Sat return. If the Royal ship departs from Florida and uses San Juan as a day stop, it will (typically) use a pier in Old City.

If you do as the above poster suggests and head left (west) along the waterfront and down the Paseo De la Princessa (big sidewalk with lots of local vendors) you will get to the Raices fountain then turn right and follow the old city wall around and go through the entrance door into the city then just head up the streets and you will run into fort El Morro..

Then when you come out of El Morro head East (left) walking or ride the free trolley. It is a nice walk though then you get to walk by the very interesting cemetery. Don't let the stories of La Perla scare you. Don't go down there (off to the left over the wall) you are just fine on the sidewalk on the way to San Cristobal.

Great photos and suggestions!

My 2 cents - If taking the route suggested, be sure to go through the city gate through the wall on your right. If you continue on the walkway by the water towards El Morro, you will not be able to get up the cliff to the fort (although it is a beautiful walk).

IMHO, There is absolutely no reason at all not to go down into the cemetery, La Perla is off to the right of the cemetery (as you look down) and you will not be in that neighborhood at all. The cemetery is gorgeous and well worth a visit. The details can not be appreciated from the street. Just walk back up the little hill the way you came, and continue on your walk.

You will walk a little uphill from the pier to Fort San Cristobal. We liked this fort, especially the dungeon. Take the free trolley from San Cristobal to El Morro. You definately don't want to walk between the forts.

Walking between the forts was totally fine (though we went the other way, Morro to Cristobal). La Perla is down the hill and outside the walls. You would have to TRY to get down there. Walking up on the sidewalks above it was fine, lovely, gorgeous, and well populated with other tourists and cars.

• 4 weeks later...
Does Princess dock at Old San Juan pier?

Didn't know Royal Caribbean docked elsewhere..thought all ships docked at OSJ>>

I believe that Royal ships making day stops dock at OSJ. The ones at the Pan-American pier are for cruises based out of and returning to San Juan. Which is a nice way to go, by the way.

Just got back we walked as recommended and went to both forts ($5 for both what a deal) and then stopped at Starbucks for some wifi. Thanks for the great advice it was perfect. For future advice it was crazy hot (made florida seem cool) and a lot of uphill and steps bring tons of water, sunblock and a hat.

Just got back we walked as recommended and went to both forts ($5 for both what a deal) and then stopped at Starbucks for some wifi. Thanks for the great advice it was perfect. For future advice it was crazy hot (made florida seem cool) and a lot of uphill and steps bring tons of water, sunblock and a hat.

Aren't they spectacular? The views and just imagining the history and how it was back then. You are completely correct about the heat and humidity.... it does feel a little better on the great lawn at El Morro because of the ocean breeze but the walking is definitely hot. Glad you had a good time.

Just got back we walked as recommended and went to both forts ($5 for both what a deal) and then stopped at Starbucks for some wifi. Thanks for the great advice it was perfect. For future advice it was crazy hot (made Florida seem cool) and a lot of uphill and steps bring tons of water, sunblock and a hat.

Don't forget that these are part of the US National Parks System and if you have a Parks Pass the entry fee is covered...