6 years ago today....Christchurch Eartquake

Thoughts are with all those in Christchurch today.

6 years ago today we were on QM2 at Garden Island in Sydney. One of our next ports of call was to have been Lyttleton, however that was quickly changed to Wellington.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer
should read earthquake...you used to be able to edit heading by using advanced, but we do not seem to have that option now.

Yes it was a really sad day. I was here at work in Sydney watching on TV. Having been to ChCh a number of times brought it all home to me, seeing places I recognised destroyed and knowing many would be dead & injured, and that the lovely city would never be the same.

Only afterwards did I learn that my niece & her partner were right there when it happened - working on the reconstruction from the earlier quake. They were both safe.

We visited the city on a cruise visit in 2013 - it was very sad to see.

Best wishes to all over there.

We were also lined up to board QM2, in the marquee at White Bay, while the band played. We couldn't believe the news as it filtered through.

I remember there wasn't much announced onboard, only that we would be missing the port.

It's hard to believe. I was at work that day too. At the time I worked in a call centre and it was ghost like and surreal. People weren't calling in and normally it was busy.

I've only made brief visits to Christchurch unfortunately- last year all I saw of it was the domestic terminal. Would like to spend more time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i want to go there again but have not made it yet but last time i was there was in 98 i took photos of all the churches i saw and didnt realise till after the earth quake that i had one of that one thats spire collapsed i thought i had missed out on that photo

Appreciate these postings. Did not realize that it had been six years since this tragedy. When visiting NZ three years ago, we could not dock near Christchurch and used the alternative, more distant location of Akaroa. Am I understanding correctly that the re-builds and fixes for this Christchurch-area docking location, plus in the main city, are still dragging far behind schedule?? And with lots of debates still happening as to budgets, who pays, what will be done, etc.?? What's the current status for returning things there to "normal"? How soon?

In checking for early 2018, I see that two different major cruise lines still having things scheduled as a tender-only stop at Akaroa, New Zealand. Not Christchurch!! Right or wrong?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,624 views for this posting.

Also can't believe it's been six years. Remember it only too well - several of our friends in Christchurch lost their homes, luckily none were seriously injured, but most have ongoing struggles with PTSD

For all it's damage - I was there almost exactly 2 years ago, don't know how much the repair effort has advanced since - I still find it a beautiful city.

Thoughts to anyone here who was affected, directly or otherwise.