Pacific Jewel - 23rd Oct 2017

Cossy

Hi everyone

Taking my first cruise on this ship for 8 nights. How do I find the roll call for it?

Can anyone who has been on her tell me what the ship is like?

I've read some bad reviews but Im really just going with a open mind and going to enjoy it for what it is and as a new experience. Im not looking for the trip of a life time as I realise these cheaper cruise's arent that

We were on the Jewel in September, it's an older ship so railings are enclosed and metal compared to the newer style of glass on newer ships.

If you picture an upmarket RSL club, I'd say that would be an accurate description of the Jewel.

We had a great cruise and would sail on her again if the itinerary and price was right.

• 1 month later...

Having cruised on P&O ships a few times, I can say that the roll calls on CC are not very active. There is normally a lot of activity on the book of faces. You might need to start the roll call on CC, if there is none listed. We don't mind the Jewel. Our popular place is at the stern on deck ten with a great view. Adults only and a friendly barman. MRD, for the evening sitting is a mess, with having to book every day.

The Jewel was my first ship and it was good enough to get me hooked. I think the upmarket RSL description is pretty apt. Sounds like you have an open mind so I think you will have a great time. We travel with a teenager so it is perfect for us, we will wait to be empty nesters to try the pricier cruises as I hear they don't cater as well as the P&O and Carnival ones do for teens.

We cruised on her in September 2016 and really enjoyed it. We often ate in the buffet (Pantry) and sat nearer the entrance to the lido (pool deck) as we found it less busy. We enjoyed the food and entertainment. Try and book for the main restaurant for dinner as soon as you can as we always had trouble trying to get in. (there were only 3 of us) There are lots of places to sit around the ship depending if you want a quiet spot or be part of the action. We liked deck 7 and the Dome for quiet time and the Lido and Atrium for people watching, trivia, music etc. The two bars on deck 7 were also a nice place to sit in the evenings when there was entertainment on. You'll have a great time what ever you end up doing.

We have been on the Jewel a few times the last being Feb 2017 and enjoyed it, had cabins on decks 5,6,8, and mini suite on deck 11, there should be no real reason you should not enjoy your trip, the main spoilers are the weather and rough seas , the crew are always friendly and smiling, the trick with waterfront restaurant (MDR) is book a "traditional", time , and each night you just walk in and sit down, no waiting , you can eat in the pantry any-time they are open, with the tender ports they do not have tender tickets any more you just wait in line, which I do not like, the ticket system was better, what you will hate on any ship is being in Noumea on a sunday stuck at the container wharf and getting on buses to the OPT, one thing the Jewel is no longer stocking cans of Bundy or Jim beam, , if you want duty free grog, they now have dropped their prices on board and are quite reasonable, the best duty free is the big yellow place at Port Vila, there is a daily newspaper which tells you what's happening, just pick something and do it even if its not something you normally do, pick a shore tour in each port and just go with the flow and enjoy., and NO TIPPING.

We first travelled on the Jewel 6 years ago, and have since been on another 14 cruises since mainly with P & O since. We are a couple in our fifties with a 16 year old daughter who has CP and uses a wheelchair.

When we book cruises we look at the price and the itinerary.

Where else in Australia or overseas could we get accomodation, transport and all the food you get eat for about $100 each per day?

I love the fact that I don't have to cook, clean or do any housework.

One of our favorite places is the the Oasis at the back of Deck 10 it is great to sit there with a drink when you leave Port.

Where are you going? A lot of the fun is planning what you can do in ports Tripadvisor Forums are great. We just got back from PNG on the Aria and it was just brilliant, this was our second time and we will do this again.

We took our daughter swimming with Dolphins in Rabaul and it was a really special day for all of us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums