Paul Gauguin Versus Windstar

astridwilson

Like Ducklite we have been on both the PG & Windsurf. I agree with most of the comments except that we would again go on the PG. We had no problems with the air arrangements or the day rooms before & after.

What you need to compare to is the PG to the Wind Spirit...which we also have been on but not in Tahiti. More intimate but less amenities than the Surf.

Also compare pricing..the PG is all inclusive and offered nice wines ( we are not wine snobs) and premium drinks. To me a plus for the PG would be the Gaugines...Tahitian hostesses/ entertainment. They brought the islands aboard. The plus for Wind Spirit would be the intimacy of the yacht and the sails. If I were to go again my deciding factor would be the itinerary/cost. The PG offers trips to other island groups although having been to the Cooks & Marquises I consider the Tahitian islands the best.

We haven't sailed Windstar in Tahiti (only in the Caribbean). But we have sailed PG in Tahiti. We'd never sail PG again (no matter where she goes). We will definitely sail Windstar in Tahiti the the next time we go.

I would agree. We have exclusively cruised Windstar ships prior to our PG sailing last April (6 cruises). We had very high expectation of the PG experience and were very underwhelmed. Crew were not nearly as friendly and the food wasn't that good (e.g., one doesn't expect to find a poor version of turkey and dressing on the dinner menu on a Tahitian cruise).

This past March, we did our first large boat cruise with family (RC Freedom of the Seas) and I wasn't expecting much, but I'd almost give RC a win over PG in terms of cabin and dining room staff.