Family cruise arangement possibilities

Clintshare

We are trying to plan a cruise (Caribbean) for our family. Parents (us), 3 families (our children and their kids). We are wrestling with how to accommodate all 16 in staterooms. Family 1. Parents and 4 boys 16 to 9,

Family 2, Parents and girl 12, boy 10. Family 3, Parents 2 boys 29, 27 and girl 24. Family 4 Us the parents.

We can take the 2 younger boys of family 1.. no issue.

Need advice on what cruise lines do to fit us in? What is the deal with "kids cruise free?''

Any advice is appreciated.

You need more than two cabins - I think you'll need at least four. Check out MSC. I was just looking at them as a possibility when planning my upcoming summer Caribbean cruise, but saw that kids sail free and went another direction. For families that are sailing with kids, it definitely seems worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The biggest problem will be the family with the 3 older children. You can book 2 of the boys from family 1 in your room, so there are 2 cabins. The family with the boy and girl should be fine all together, so that is 3 cabins. But family 3 will need 2 cabins or a large family suite or something.

MSC is good for Kids being free, but I don't know the room setups. I also dont know at what age kids are not kids (free). You probably need to research suites and cabin sizes with a couple cruiselines.

I know some of the newer ships have family cabins that sleep 5. I can tell you I think the bunk bed style arrangements work better with younger children. We have traveled with our 2 boys on cruises for the last 6 years since they were 10 and 14. We have always put all 4 of us in one cabin. It can get a little crazy if they don't pick up their clothes but really works fine. I would suggest you find the cruise you want and then study the square footage differences in the cabins they offer. Another way to say kids sail free is 3rd and 4th passengers are free or reduced rates plus taxes and port fees. In 2011 I did get a great deal this way with Holland America. You just have to watch for deals and many times the deals are for specific sail dates. I do think if you have more then 4 you are better off getting 2 cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're doing a family cruise with 38 people ( still figuring out the cabin assignments) we chose the anthem of the seas for all the activities, also every 8th cabin is free

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have travelled for the past three years on NCL with their Kids Sail Free which is really 3rd/4th free. they used to do a promo 3-8th free which would make it fun if you had the funds to do the 2 by family suites, but we're cheap. You could look at the Breakaway/Getaway/Escape with the family ocean views which sleep five which would be especially helpful for larger families, but given the ages of some of the "kids" you might just look for some regular old inside or outside cabins.

We have three kids and I can tell you from LOTS of research NCL has about the only rooms that will sleep five without mortgaging your house. There are some interiors on the Sun (older but awesome ship) and on the newer ones I mentioned above, but ocean views. A travel agent will help, but I've often found them pushing us to suites or rooms that padded their commission rather than made sense for us.

I would consider this if looking at NCL:

Family 1: book two cabins. One parent and two boys in each, OR, 1 parent and one boy, plus 1 parent and three boys in the other. When you get on board you can get keys to rooms. Someone over 21 has to be on the reservation but I believe you can put parents where they will sleep, etc. when you work directly with the hotel on board.

Family 2: Own cabin - fairly straightforward with 2 sailing for only taxes if you find a sailing for 3rd/4th free is an option. We've had rooms with a pull out sofa and a Pullman from the ceiling and it's been cozy but fine.

Family 3 gets interesting since they are older. You might still do two cabins because one option is free drinks which might appeal since they are all of legal drinking age.

Cabin 4 : You - maybe splurge on a balcony or a place where every one can "visit". If you don't mind you could list the 24 yr old girl on your reservation and then family with grown kids only has to get one cabin, but if it's in the budget I think those grown up kids would be more comfortable with their own space.

We've travelled with 12 and we usually do four cabins even though sometimes you're giving up that fourth person free. The first time we did a balcony for my parents, 2 interiors across the hall for my family and my sister's family and then at the last minute my mother booked an interior for my unmarried sister and moved her off their reservation and into her own cabin for just a little big more $. We did the Getaway with 2 family ocean views for 10 of us and my mom and dad in an interior across the hall because the promo was drinks and they were not big drinkers. We've done 3 ea in cabins on the Sky with portholes.

I know RCL has some cabins that will take five, but you have to get the prices from them, they are not online and when I have gotten prices it was cheaper to get more inside cabins.

Hope this helps. We're heading off on another extended family cruise this fall, our fifth with NCL. We love that they can usually get us a big table for dinner or we'll split into six and six or we've now learned to feed the kids at the buffet and drop them at Splash Academy and then go to dinner and the shows (our kids are LITTLE) and enjoy a wonderful evening. If you're looking at the Getaway I can not recommend their main restaurant higher for dinner as you feel like you're at a family wedding and everyone gets up and dances and there's a live band and it's just so much fun.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are getting ready for our first family cruise ever and very excited. Was originally going to be just DH and me, but when I looked at Norwegian's Free at Sea program and saw 3rd/4th free, I asked my (adult) kids if they wanted to come and they both jumped at it. Then I told SIL, who I knew was also looking at an Alaska cruise, that we were all going and would love it if they could make it also, and they did! Not as big a group as yours but I am SO looking forward to it. I'm handicapped so I went for an aft balcony accessible cabin for more space and cautioned the kids that it will be very cozy. They both decided putting up with the coziness was worth it for the trip. SIL got an inside room around the corner so we will be able to get together to watch the scenery from our balcony.

I agree with the suggestion to let everyone make their own reservations. Set up an email group so you can send around information on the selected cruise and the pros and cons of each room type and let the families choose what they want.

The family with a boy and a girl may be more of a challenge. Our room for 4 has a queen bed and a pullout sofa double bed. My son may bring his folding army cot or my daughter may choose to sleep on the floor - I've seen the video of the cabin and that is feasible for us. But look into just what the sleeping arrangements are before you figure any cabin for 4 will work for children of different sex.

One other thing that you have probably already thought of: make it clear to everyone that you are NOT going to spend every minute together. People, especially teens and young adults, will have their own interests and will be much more cooperative about participating in the family activities if they also have time (and parental blessing) to do things on their own. I'm planning to use our email group to share info about ship events, excurions, etc., and find out who wants to do what. Then we will try to plan to do stuff together, and also plan at least one meal a day as a group.

We are trying to plan a cruise (Caribbean) for our family. Parents (us), 3 families (our children and their kids). We are wrestling with how to accommodate all 16 in staterooms. Family 1. Parents and 4 boys 16 to 9,

Family 2, Parents and girl 12, boy 10. Family 3, Parents 2 boys 29, 27 and girl 24. Family 4 Us the parents.

We can take the 2 younger boys of family 1.. no issue.

Need advice on what cruise lines do to fit us in? What is the deal with "kids cruise free?''

Any advice is appreciated.

My advice would be to start by counting again. Family 1 = 6, family 2 = 4, family 3 = 5, family 4 - 2. That's 17. Isn't it?

We are getting ready for our first family cruise ever and very excited. Was originally going to be just DH and me, but when I looked at Norwegian's Free at Sea program and saw 3rd/4th free, I asked my (adult) kids if they wanted to come and they both jumped at it. Then I told SIL, who I knew was also looking at an Alaska cruise, that we were all going and would love it if they could make it also, and they did! Not as big a group as yours but I am SO looking forward to it. I'm handicapped so I went for an aft balcony accessible cabin for more space and cautioned the kids that it will be very cozy. They both decided putting up with the coziness was worth it for the trip. SIL got an inside room around the corner so we will be able to get together to watch the scenery from our balcony.

I agree with the suggestion to let everyone make their own reservations. Set up an email group so you can send around information on the selected cruise and the pros and cons of each room type and let the families choose what they want.

The family with a boy and a girl may be more of a challenge. Our room for 4 has a queen bed and a pullout sofa double bed. My son may bring his folding army cot or my daughter may choose to sleep on the floor - I've seen the video of the cabin and that is feasible for us. But look into just what the sleeping arrangements are before you figure any cabin for 4 will work for children of different sex.

One other thing that you have probably already thought of: make it clear to everyone that you are NOT going to spend every minute together. People, especially teens and young adults, will have their own interests and will be much more cooperative about participating in the family activities if they also have time (and parental blessing) to do things on their own. I'm planning to use our email group to share info about ship events, excurions, etc., and find out who wants to do what. Then we will try to plan to do stuff together, and also plan at least one meal a day as a group.

NCL has a lot of cabins will a Pullman for the 4th guest. We always book connecting balconies for our family of 7, and the cabin for 4 utilizes a Pullman over the couch.

• 2 weeks later...

Also watch specific rooms as some quads will have a trundle four 4th guest making it wall to wall with three twin beds side by side.

Kids Sail Free on RCCL is age 12 and under at time of embarkation when you see those promos out

I've worked with extended family trips where some will even have parents in balcony and kids directly across hall in an inside, and being family (cousins) put four in that inside cabin with both sets of parents across hall (for families that like that extra space). Our wedding cruise we were scattered all over the ship. Alaska extended family cruise more in same section with one family having aft minisuite and giving extra room key from guest services to other families to utilize the aft balcony when not there or couldn't hear door knock being outside. Both had shared dinner but daytime was on your own. Even on NCL freestyle you can have your agent arrange reserved dining for your size of group (any agent can do that -don't have to book direct with cruiseline to get your group reserved like that for dining)