Rhapsody of the Seas w/ teens ?

We're thinking of booking a seven night on Rhapsody of the Seas with our

17 yo son and 15 yo daughter out of tampa next april with ports,

Roatan Honduras, Belize City Belize, Puerto Costa Maya Mexico, Cozumel .

Any thouhts on ship and ports ??

Thank you !!

TIM

We sailed on the Rhapsody to Alaska about 3 years ago with a preteen and a 13 yo. There were a few kids their age onboard. They had fun but did get a little bored at times. The ship is small and does not have all the bells and whistles that the larger ships do.

I wouldn't recommend Rhapsody to teenagers at all. If the itinerary is important, there is a similar itinerary from Galveston on Liberty of the Seas. That's double the size of Rhapsody and recently had her major refurb and now has slides. Much more to offer and remember, happy kids=happy parents.

We did this itinerary last year on Vision, and loved it so much we booked the same on Rhapsody for Apr 1, 2017. We sailed with my 9 year old boy and 7 year old girl. I put a review with the excursions we did on my site at http://blog.billcarney.com/our-cruise-review-from-vision-of-the-seas-april-2-9-2016-sailing-from-tampa-to-the-western-caribbean/

Edited by bcarney

If those are the ports you want...book it! ANY ship is fine. The "bells and whistles" on the bigger ships only take up about 20 mins. of your time. I wouldn't worry about that at all! Your kids are mighty lucky to be cruising!

You have some decision making to do. Itinerary vs. Ship.

I really do like the itinerary, and its has an extra port compared to most larger ships.

However, the ship really doesn't have any of the things that RCCL Has been marketing lately. (No Ice Rink, No Mini Golf, No Flow Rider, No Basketball). The reason I bring this up, is I know from experience many familes go on the smaller ships looking for some of the items that only bigger ships have. I think a 15 and a 17yo would like the amenities of a larger ship - but again thats just me and I obviously don't know your family.

Personally I really like the Rhapsody and have had many nice cruises on it, just not one I would recommend for teenagers.

Many teenagers just like to hang out though, or make their own fun, and/or just aren't into those sorts of activities.

Rhapsody still has the standard youth facilities, so I wouldn't rule it out. It comes down to what they're into and are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
Many teenagers just like to hang out though, or make their own fun, and/or just aren't into those sorts of activities.

Rhapsody still has the standard youth facilities, so I wouldn't rule it out. It comes down to what they're into and are looking for.

Here's what I would do: tell the kids about the two ships and what they do and do not offer and ask them THE question and make sure they don't forget their answer. Could be a whole maturing and fun experience for you as well as for them.

And, I'm sorry, but teenagers do not have the same interests as nine and seven-year olds.

We have just returned from a 10 night cruise on Rhapsody with our boys aged 20 and 18. We were with a group of other families so our boys had people they knew that were the same age as them. All the young people we were with missed the sports court as a place to meet others and have a game of football/ basketball. They also felt there were very few places for young people to hang out together, other than the nightclub, which was for over 18's only. We loved our itinerary but we all agreed that we wouldn't choose that size of ship again. I missed the champagne bar!

Any thouhts on ship and ports ??

Thank you !!

TIM

Sounds like you're looking at the same cruise that we have just booked. Traveling with our 14yo daughter and she is looking forward to it. It will not have all the same activities as Anthem had this year but I'm sure it will be great.

Sounds like you're looking at the same cruise that we have just booked. Traveling with our 14yo daughter and she is looking forward to it. It will not have all the same activities as Anthem had this year but I'm sure it will be great.

What is there for a 14 year old to do on Rhapsody???

Trust me, after Anthem she'll be disappointed. Best to cancel and go for something more geared towards kids/teens.

• 5 weeks later...