Flash batteries

wmjivey

I've been using Amazon Pro Basic AAs (the black ones). They are rated at 2500 MAH and last for hundreds of shots (wedding reception). There are a lot of chargers to choose from but spending the money on a good one will help your batteries last longer by controlling heat while charging and dropping to a trickle charge when full. The La Crosse Technology BC-700 is reasonable at about $35 and is viewed as one of the best on the market.

The short answer: Invest in rechargeable.

Dave

@wmjivey: To clarify.... which flash model do you get?

In general....

If your flash accepts external packs.... love my Quantum Turbo's

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Turbo-Camera-Battery-TSC/dp/B000LR2MMG/ref=sr_1_1

[YOUTUBE]lzvzjJQm_kU[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I bought the Neewer tt880 with trigger, The website said it is a rebranded Godox tt685s

I doubt if I will be using it heavily since I just dipping my toe in the water. but I know if I am using it I don't want to wait for long recycle time.

John

Another vote for Eneloops. I have nearly 200 of them, most dating back to the winter of 2007, and the vast majority of them still test out at 1900-2000mAh (they're rated at 2000). When they get down to 1800 I give them new homes (remote control, shaver, etc.).

And another vote for the LaCrosse BC-700 charger. No need for the BC-900; you don't want to burn up your batteries charging them as fast as what the BC-900 adds. I keep a large fleet of Eneloops because I usually put them in the charger with a "Discharge Refresh" cycle which takes a while on AAs, so I can easily keep using charged batteries while I wait for the recharge cycle to catch up.

I'm reading the Amazon's are rebranded Eneloops at half the price, keep getting bargins

The moral of the story is the Eneloop chemistry is the one to choose. It holds 95% charge for a year, and delivers the power to the flash well (different types/chemistries have different ability to deliver the electrons abruptly and aggressively, even with the same ratings - some batteries are made to service low draw for long times, like TV remotes and similar).

The branding matters not.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As long as your camera does not have a proprietary shaped battery and you don't want to haul around extra batteries and battery chargers, Energizer Lithium disposables are fine. For rechargable try eneloop 4th generatiin re-chargeables. Eneloop wascSanyo until Panasonic bought them out.

It all depends on your needs i.e. Fast recycle time on flash photography, Energizer or eneloop. Cost is a factor in favour of re-chargeable battery vs. disposable.

• 1 month later...