Thomson Dream April 2017 shore excursions

Hi, my partner and I are new to cruising and are doing the Atlantic repositioning cruise on the Thomson Dream in April 2017, we were just wondering if it is better booking the shore excursions online before we go or on the ship, just in case there are any changes to the ports that we dock in ?

Any replies will be most welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PS as it's your first cruise I would suggest that you do use Thomson as they will not sail without you but if you go independently they will go without you if you are late back,😨 in all our cruises we have seen it twice. After your first cruise you will get a better idea of what you would like to do next time.

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Agree...book online and there is no problem changing your mind and getting a full refund outside of 24 hr deadline (if you are cancelling). Some excursions are limited so pre-booking ensures your place. We had 3 refunds; 1 as port cancelled, 1 as tour cancelled due to flooding and one we cancelled. Absolutely no problems.

HI cpna1, Wouldn't recommend booking Thomson trips as they are expensive. All the Caribbean ports have taxis waiting and you can pick one up straight away - they usually take 6 to 8 people but as others will be getting off the ship you won't have to wait long. Usually $20-25 per person for a 4-5 hour trip. At Road Town, Tortola, there are buses waiting that will take you to Cane Garden beach and bring you back later. It's a beautiful beach but you need to get there early to see it at it's best before all the people arrive. Drinks and food available. St.Kitts, we took a shared taxi and had a lovely day round the island. Visited the old fort and then a plantation which is now a batik factory with lots of souvenirs. Antigua is a must to visit, really beautiful and all the taxi drivers will take you to Englishmans Harbour and Nelsons Dockyard. Always make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the ship, the drivers all know what time you need to be back at the ship and will have you back in good time, their reputation is at stake. Make sure you have plenty of small $ bills to use as tips or to buy small souvenirs.

Enjoy your cruise:)

dronnygirl it does depend on what you would like to do, how and with whom.

In the Western Caribbean we found tours knew the boat price and geared theirs only slightly cheaper. By sticking with Thomson we knew we would get a roomy insured coach, a British crowd, free water and lunch, English speaking guide and (weather permitting) the sites booked. No stress about filling a shared taxi and some can get car sick.... You get the tour you want and not one the touts have other people for or the 'easy tour'.

Belize was downright scary when we actually considered DIY. As first timers when the heavens opened in Honduras and people were bailing out their houses we were so grateful being 'in it together' in a nice coach with a great driver and guide on 'tracks' ready to subside!. Naturally seasoned cruisers can save something with DIY and many destinations are easier than others especially Antigua.

We are on this cruise and it will be our 3rd TA crossing. As previously said you can do DIY trips and unless your vehicle broke down the drivers will get you back on time They don't come back to fetch you in most cases but wait for you wherever they drop you off. Booking online with Thomson is cheaper than on the ship and they don't sell all the availability online but always keep some back for the ship but you must go and book on arrival. St Kitts railway is very good Road Town if you like beaches then take a taxi or you can walk around the town quite easily St Maarten Airport beach is fantastic - sunbathe as you watch aircraft land feet over your head a taxi to here can be done as in Antigua which is my favourite island we go to Pineapple beach which is over an hour away and have never had a problem but as newbies you will probably feel more relaxed at a closer beach. As has been said there are always people off the ship willing to share. Warning in La Romana often the town is closed off by the police so a ship trip is recommended here. We have done a tour of the island quite a few years ago so always go on the beach trip here which is to the lovely beach of a 5 star hotel which provides sunbeds and as much free drink as you want On your ships cruise card is the ships tel no in case of emergency which you can ring to advise if you are going to be late Just last week on the Celebration 10 people were late back and delayed the ship by 3/4 hr but were waited for so I believe they must have rung the ship.

Madeira very easy to do yourself and Cadiz also unless you want to visit Seville then a trip is recommended with the ship

You'll have a fantastic time I'm sure

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Has anyone got any comments on the Prickly Pear Island trip in Antigua. It is quite expensive but would like to know if it is worth the money or whether we would be better just walking to a beach near to the port.

I'm on this ship at the same time with my partner been looking at various options for various ports we stop at. Thomson trip booked for DR stop. Booked Orient and Maho Beach trip in St Maarten booked with Viatour not used them before.

Lawrence of Antigua is an excursion company in Antigua google them for info. Possibly booking something with them.

Also looking for things to do in St Kitts, and BVI.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Hi, my partner and I are new to cruising and are doing the Atlantic repositioning cruise on the Thomson Dream in April 2017, we were just wondering if it is better booking the shore excursions online before we go or on the ship, just in case there are any changes to the ports that we dock in ?

Any replies will be most welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm on this ship at the same time with my partner been looking at various options for various ports we stop at. Thomson trip booked for DR stop. Booked Orient and Maho Beach trip in St Maarten booked with Viatour not used them before.

Lawrence of Antigua is an excursion company in Antigua google them for info. Possibly booking something with them.

Also looking for things to do in St Kitts, and BVI.

Any suggestions welcome

hi

we are also on this trip, we start on the Pride of Panama and then staying on.

i have looked on the Thomson trips and nothing really takes my fancy, any suggestions would be great

see you all then:D

xx

This will be my 3rd Thomson cruise I have to say the choice and cost of the excursions on this trip aren't great. Although we have booked one while in the Dominican Republic, because I've not read good things about this port we're doing the Bayahibe Beach Break. while in St Maartins we're doing a tour with Viator a trip advisor company. Looking for something to do in Antigua possibly taxi to a beach for some snorkelling, again Viator have a few options. St Kitts is the other one I'm trying to sort out.

Recommend the train in St Kitts its combined with a round island trip.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Thanks for this Thomson are doing the trip but at £77pp I've contacted the railway directly through their website. However having read more on CC it seems you can only book through the cruise lines :(