Dress to Impress

We are on the Discovery in March and wondering what people wear on the dress to impress night. Have been checking the reviews and in the summer people said it was mixed, but not much mentioned in the later reviews. We have been on the other Thomsons ships and have always attended the formal nights. Do I pack hubbys tux or would he be over dressed?

Anyone been on the Discovery lately , how does the evening work ie; set dining times, photos with captain etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies

IMO you don't have to worry about how your fellow passengers (or staff) are dressed if you are comfortable dressing 'up' go for it and note that they are under dressed;) after all it is your cruise. Personally I always take my Tux and enjoy wearing it. We go in April then Sep cant wait.

As far as I remember there are no set dining times on dress to impress night. Everything aboard is just like any other night except a lot of passengers dress to impress.

My 'dress to impress' gear was a light linen jacket and mauve shirt with purple bow tie, rapidly discarded after dinner :D

think Michael Portillo on that railway programme :eek:

It is definitely not a formal night in the traditional sense.

We were on Discovery in October and the turn out for the night was quite good. The Captain's address in the atrium was at around 7.30 - 8 and it was well attended with people who had dressed accordingly.

There was live music with a good lady singer, fizz was served, photos were taken on the atrium stairs and all in all a good atmosphere.

It seemed that people who didn't want to join in dined earlier and those who attended then went to dinner afterwards.

I think it worked well.

We are on her again in March as well and I shall be taking a dj, as I think quite a few will dress for the evening, even though the climate is tropical. As davecttr says you can always change after.

Discovery 's atrium is quite stunning and suits such an event.

Edited by jake 26

We are also on Discovery in March and will definitely be dressing to impress!!

We don't get chance to go out and dress up much at home and I think it's a great opportunity to keep cruising traditions going.

We also dress up to go for dinner every other night on our cruise too. Nice to see people making an effort especially in main dining rooms.

If we don't feel like being too smart we can always go to less formal eating places like the buffet etc

My motto - dress for your own occasion and comfort !

We went on Discovery in September.

We normally take DJ and long dress, but this time we didn't as we were doing cruise and stay and needed to save on the luggage allowance! My husband wore grey trousers, a navy blazer, a white shirt and red bow tie and I wore a pair of black trousers and a top (see below) but lots of men wore DJ's and some wore fancy waistcoats with a bow tie. There is no set time for dinner as on the other ships and no annoying queuing up for photos (unless you want to) It is a similar to the way P&O do formal nights in the atrium.

Incidentally Captain John was dressed impeccably on our cruise :)

2vkm5q8.jpg

We went on Discovery in September.

We normally take DJ and long dress, but this time we didn't as we were doing cruise and stay and needed to save on the luggage allowance! My husband wore grey trousers, a navy blazer, a white shirt and red bow tie and I wore a pair of black trousers and a top (see below) but lots of men wore DJ's and some wore fancy waistcoats with a bow tie. There is no set time for dinner as on the other ships and no annoying queuing up for photos (unless you want to) It is a similar to the way P&O do formal nights in the atrium.

Incidentally Captain John was dressed impeccably on our cruise :)

2vkm5q8.jpg

What a lovely photo Linda.

• 2 weeks later...

Just left the Discovery and the dress to impress night was a real damp squib. A smattering of dinner jackets, quite a lot of suits (a good number showing their age! ) and a pretty low key captains presentation. Everybody must make up their own minds about this occasion but there is nothing to worry about if you prefer smart casual.

Thankyou :) Sorry that Captain John looks a bit fuzzy:rolleyes: I hope he is captain when you are on as he is lovely. We met him at the get together for returning passengers.

capt wojectk sp was back on from the 15th of jan for 3 months