Time From San Pedro to LAX

BenCruisin'

We arrive on Princess in San Pedro on Friday AM, Aug 31st. Appears to be 3 ships in port. Trying to decide if we can make an 11:15 AM flight at LAX. That would be no problem on the East Coast from Port Everglades to Lauderdale or even Miami, as we have done both, but other threads seem to indicate San Pedro runs later.

Anyone have any recent experience as to times?

We arrive on Princess in San Pedro on Friday AM' date=' Aug 31st. Appears to be 3 ships in port. Trying to decide if we can make an 11:15 AM flight at LAX. That would be no problem on the East Coast from Port Everglades to Lauderdale or even Miami, as we have done both, but other threads seem to indicate San Pedro runs later.

Anyone have any recent experience as to times?[/quote']

LAX is about 20 miles from the pier. But, LA traffic is unpredictable. And LAX is always a mess...it's not a small airport like FLL. Best thing to tell you...maybe. But me...I wouldn't schedule anything before 12.

Here's some reasons to reconsider that flight time:

1. Rush hour traffic. The 405 freeway going toward the airport will be busy. If there's an accident or someone pulled over by a Chippie, expect to spend even more time than usual.

2. Even if you can get Princess to give you high priority, you're at the mercy of customs and immigration. They may board one of the other ships first. On our last cruise, there was only one other ship with us, and the disembarkation process didn't even begin until after 8am, if I remember correctly.

3. LAX is a busy airport. Enuf said.

4. Not sure about the port strike is still pending (fortunately, the grocery strike has been averted), but you may want to keep informed about this (check the www.latimes.com or www.dailynews.com for info) just in case this affects getting in or out of the World Cruise Center.

I would recommend against this. I do know some people who have done this but they sweated it the entire time.

You have no guarantees that you will be off the ship in time. Then you have to find your luggage and get whatever transporation you have arranged. Then there is the drive to the airport with the unpredictablity of traffic and then finally there is LAX which many times has very long lines and is one of the airports that it is recommended to arrive two hours before for a domestic flight.

Some would do this. I would not. And, I have taken cruises that disembark at this port of call, most recently one in May of last year.

Keith

You'll probably be okay if you arrange for a shuttle service to meet you at the port or take a taxi which is more expensive. I didn't know any Princess ships arrived on a Friday. The Golden Princess comes in on Saturday, which would be a safer situation traffic wise.

We arrive on Princess in San Pedro on Friday AM' date=' Aug 31st. Appears to be 3 ships in port. Trying to decide if we can make an 11:15 AM flight at LAX. That would be no problem on the East Coast from Port Everglades to Lauderdale or even Miami, as we have done both, but other threads seem to indicate San Pedro runs later.

[b']Anyone have any recent experience as to times?[/b]

Recent and a lifetime of experience...

My two cents is that:

#1 If everything goes perfectly, and all of the stars align in the Universe on that day, then yes you can make it.

#2 If any ONE thing goes wrong, forget it.

If there is a problem with anyone on the ship regarding customs, or there's an extra security issue that day...

If there happens to be construction or traffic...

If they happen to have one of those "random" days at LAX where they are pulling over every 4th or 5th car/van to check for security...

In order to be "safe" and "relaxed", then I'd book later...

If you feel comfortable rolling the dice, and being happy if it works out that you "made it" on time; or happy to get another flight or make other arrangements if you don't, then do that...

CJW

We were in a situation last March where Air Canada moved up our flight by an hour and it left at about 11:30. We got them to put us on another flight that left at 1. I was glad we changed it. Although we made it to LAX in about 20 minutes (Sunday morning with little traffic), there were huge security lines when we got there. As we were standing in line, we heard them calling last boarding for our original flight. I can't imagine how stressed we'd be if we hadn't changed the flights.

Viv

I would recommend not leaving that early. I live in Los Angeles and the traffic is so unpredictable--I would hate for you to miss your flight. Sure, there are times when it takes 20 minutes to get there, but those times are few and far in between. I take the 405 to work (12 miles) and it can take me anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours during traffic!

• 1 month later...
We were in a situation last March where Air Canada moved up our flight by an hour and it left at about 11:30. We got them to put us on another flight that left at 1. I was glad we changed it. Although we made it to LAX in about 20 minutes (Sunday morning with little traffic), there were huge security lines when we got there. As we were standing in line, we heard them calling last boarding for our original flight. I can't imagine how stressed we'd be if we hadn't changed the flights.

Viv

What time did you get off the ship?

Why not book the later flight, and if you get to the airport early see about flying standby. My DH and I had an afternoon flight out of FLL after our cruise in June, but ended up flying standby all the way home (with a connection in DFW). We actually followed the "early" itenerary we'd decided was "too early" when we booked the flights. At the WORST, you'd end up on your booked flights.

We were on the Island Princess a while ago (3 ships in port) and cruised with some people from the UK who had a 2PM flight. They just barely made their flight, after finally getting off the ship at 11:30PM. I would NOT recommend any flight earlier than 1 or 2PM out of LAX, esp. if there are 3 ships in port. We waited 20 minutes just to get a porter the last time we were there with 3 ships.

Archived