Chip-and-PIN: Turkey

So I'm thinking about how to best acquire Turkish Lira for our upcoming summer cruise. I've done a couple of searches of the boards and the predominant advice seems to be to visit an ATM once you dock, which was my initial plan. However, I just returned from a trip to London, where my debit card failed to work for the first time in the last six years- because it doesn't have chip-and-PIN technology. I am planning to get a chip-and-PIN travel debit card for the cruise, but it specifically lists Turkey as a country in which the card won't work.

Long story short (too late!): What is my best bet for getting Turkish Lira for the cruise? Will my regular debit card work? I appreciate any advice I can get! Thank you!! :D

ARGH! We are not happy to hear about your ATM experience. We have never run into the Chip/PIN only ATMs, but know the technology is out there and will probably quickly spread through Europe. This has never been an issue for us in Turkey (DD recently spent 2 weeks traveling throughout Turkey and also had no ATM issues). In Kusadasi there are ATMs right in the cruise port complex and they are all over the city. We have also never had a problem using magnetic strip credit cards in Turkey. Istanbul also has ATMs just about everywhere although they are not always convenient inside the port depending on docking position.

Although we do use some Turkish Lira while traveling in Turkey, both US Dollars and Euros are widely accepted by many merchants and eating venues (although they do not often give the best exchange rates).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Been to Turkey (Istanbul and Kusadasi) twice with our next trip in a few weeks.

We have never had any problem using the ATMs with a regular magnetic strip card……. but that is not to say they havent changed things since we were there last (Nov. 2011). BUT I find it hard to believe that they would have changed all their ATMs. ;)

We always take multiple cards and will be taking both the chip and regular cards for our upcoming trip.

As of last October, I had no problems using ATMs in Istanbul with a regular debit card (not chip and pin). I was there 3 days and withdrew TL twice at two different locations. I also did not have any problem using a credit card that was not chip and pin enabled.

Thanks for all of the advice and recent experiences! I think I'll try to get a small amount of TL to take with me (just in case!) and then see what happens with my debit card when I arrive. :)

Finding Turkish Lira in the USA is probably near impossible except in a few NYC venues. If you do find any at a fair exchange rate please post the info.

Hank

I think I'll try to get a small amount of TL to take with me (just in case!) and then see what happens with my debit card when I arrive.
You can also buy a small amount of TL on board. The rate won't be great, but it probably won't be at home, either.

Another option is good old fashioned exchange offices, which are easy to use and can offer excellent rates. However, they are not always easy to find right near the ship, or if you're setting out really early in the morning. What is your first stop in Turkey?

You can also buy a small amount of TL on board. The rate won't be great, but it probably won't be at home, either.

Another option is good old fashioned exchange offices, which are easy to use and can offer excellent rates. However, they are not always easy to find right near the ship, or if you're setting out really early in the morning. What is your first stop in Turkey?

The very worst exchange rate we ever got was at an exchange office…American Express in the Paris airport. Big ripoff !

Finding Turkish Lira in the USA is probably near impossible except in a few NYC venues. If you do find any at a fair exchange rate please post the info.

Hank

Can you not order some Lira from your bank? I know that's what my mom does - takes a few days to come in, but other than that no issues getting the currency.

The very worst exchange rate we ever got was at an exchange office…American Express in the Paris airport. Big ripoff !
I was talking about exchange offices in Turkey (and in town, not at the airport, although even at the airport you can shop around and most likely do better than your home bank's rate or the ship's rate). That's why I asked the OP where they would be stopping first.

We'll be in Kusadasi first… I'm not sure what will be in port there. It's a quick day that starts early, so unless there's an exchange office right there, getting it in port won't work well for me. Luckily, my tour that day takes payment in $US.

I'll be able to order some TL from the bank. I checked the rate last night and it was do-able ($1 = TL 2.21). The current exchange rate is $1 = TL 2.51… so I eat a bit, but I'm not terribly worried. I'm going to keep doing some research, and I'll post whatever I find. :)

All of this will probably be moot, because my debit card will likely work. But after having my debit card not work and being stranded in London with only £30 on me (thank goodness for Western Union!), I definitely want to take some precautions. :)

I'll be able to order some TL from the bank. I checked the rate last night and it was do-able ($1 = TL 2.21). The current exchange rate is $1 = TL 2.51… so I eat a bit, but I'm not terribly worried.
That is a pretty lousy rate. I doubt you would do worse on the ship (I don't know which ship you'll be on), but they usually tack on a transaction fee, like $10. :eek:

You may have time to find an ATM to try before your tour starts in Kusadasi. If not, I assume you're going to Ephesus, Mary's House, etc. and if you want to buy small souvenirs at those sites you can get by with euros (or dollars). If your tour ends up at the Grand Bazaar or some other big shopping area there will be ATMs and exchange offices there.

You can do almost everything in euros in Kusadasi, really, the big exception being entry tickets for Ephesus/Terrace Houses, Ephesus Museum, etc. (but these may already be included in your tour price and your guide will take care of the tickets).

you don't need to carry turkish lira with you. In istanbul and in kusadasi all the places accepts all currencies. and most of the atm's you can withdraw Turkish lira or US dollars as cash.

at the moment 1 USDollars = 2,58 Turkish lira.

This is not exactly right. Entrance fees to most government places (Hagia Sofia, Basilica Cistern etc.) will NOT take euros or US$.

Entrance fees to most government places (Hagia Sofia, Basilica Cistern etc.) will NOT take euros or US$.
Also, public transportation, like the tram to the Old Town. And supermarkets, McDonald's, the post office… While Kusadasi is a very touristy place and many visitors can get by without changing money, I would recommend having some lira in Istanbul. Merchants who accept euros or dollars are not doing that as a favor to you!

For the OP, if you are stopping in Istanbul after Kusadasi, get enough TL in Kusadasi so you can just hop on the tram or into a taxi right off the ship (if you don't have another tour planned).

For the OP, if you are stopping in Istanbul after Kusadasi, get enough TL in Kusadasi so you can just hop on the tram or into a taxi right off the ship (if you don't have another tour planned).

Istanbul comes after Kusadasi, so it'll be possible to stop at an ATM to get enough for the tram prior to getting back on the ship after our tour. As long as the debit card works, that's a good solution! ;)