Looking for Alaska cruise, May 2016. Need Advice

I am looking for a cruise to Alaska in May 2016 and could use any tips or advice.

My wife and I have been on only one cruise on Celebrity which we enjoyed, so are partial to that line. I was thinking of a 10 night cruise departing from Seattle and ending in Anchorage. I see Celebrity has one this May 2015 but NONE listed for 2016. Is it just too early or does this mean they are not scheduling?

We would also consider other lines like Princess or Holland America or?

Would it be preferable to just do the 7 night round trip cruises through the inner passage? We are not very energetic and are looking to relax and to enjoy beautiful natural wonders.

Thanks

Larry

10 day cruises in Alaska are pretty rare. 7 day is probably 95% of cruises. HAL has a 14 day route, Princess 10 day from SF.

Some reading on the Alaska board would reveal a lot of info about the significance of Glacier Bay, and the differences between round trip out of Seattle or Vancouver, as opposed to one way Seward-VSeward - Vancouver or reverse.

looking at these myself

one way cruises to Alaska mean airfare...depending on the deal you can find its cheaper to book back to back cruises and go round trip from Vancouver or Seattle.

rules of cruise critic prohibit telling good places to shop for prices but there are deals out there

One way versus round trip

One way gives you more scenic cruising, usually two scenic glacier sailings instead of just one, though the whole 4-5 days in Alaska are all good.

Round trip you have the return trip, while relaxing it isn't as scenic as the time in Alaska.

There are longer trips that leave from SF but I think your time is better spent if you have more time doing a land + 7 day.

Happy planning.

10 day cruises in Alaska are pretty rare. 7 day is probably 95% of cruises. HAL has a 14 day route, Princess 10 day from SF.

Some reading on the Alaska board would reveal a lot of info about the significance of Glacier Bay, and the differences between round trip out of Seattle or Vancouver, as opposed to one way Seward-VSeward - Vancouver or reverse.

Thanks. I will check the Alaska board.

A few more questions.

Does a one way cruise mean one side of the ship is preferable for better views?

I have been sea sick on Ferry's in the past. However, I was perfectly fine on a Celebrity Solstice cruise on the Adriatic last year (my only cruise so far). Will I have problems on the cruise to Seward or Anchorage? Would I be better off with the mega-ships than mid size?

I have read that HAL has most Alaska experience and thus more "permissions" to sail in certain bays ...how true is this? Is one line better than another for Alaska (Princess, Celebrity, HAL are what we are considering).?

Thanks again

Larry

I get sea sick really easy. big new ships with stabilizers reduce this a lot. what has worked for me is the wrist bands. elastic bands with a small ball that presses into the wrist . not sure if this is just placebo effect but it works for me. have not had to use much in the last few years except in storms. have some gravol along just in case.

Have you looked at HAL's 14 day round trip out of Seattle?

It is a great itinerary -- we have done it twice. No repeat ports.

I hope it's ok to jump in here. If we can swing 14 days, is this itinerary worth missing Glacier Bay and Skagway (Emerald Lake)? Just when I think think I have an Alaskan itinerary picked out, someone points out another one and I have to start over. 😉

Thanks. I will check the Alaska board.

A few more questions.

Does a one way cruise mean one side of the ship is preferable for better views?

I have been sea sick on Ferry's in the past. However, I was perfectly fine on a Celebrity Solstice cruise on the Adriatic last year (my only cruise so far). Will I have problems on the cruise to Seward or Anchorage? Would I be better off with the mega-ships than mid size?

I have read that HAL has most Alaska experience and thus more "permissions" to sail in certain bays ...how true is this? Is one line better than another for Alaska (Princess, Celebrity, HAL are what we are considering).?

Thanks again

Larry

If you look over on the Alaska board you will see this asked almost daily. Answer: it doesn't matter! The scenery is 360 degrees, it is big picture scenery (you don't have to be in one magic spot to see things), the ship doesn't move that fast, and most importantly, you aren't locked in your cabin. You are out and about, all over the ship.

Again, reading on the Alaska board you will see HAL and Princess have 80 percent of the Glacier Bay permits. You do the math, that doesn't leave many for anyone else. They also have move ships there than any other line.

If sea sickness is a problem, you need to be prepared every day on a ship. If I tell you my experience is calm seas (which would be untrue), and by some fluke it's rough on your cruise, that doesn't do you any good right?

Big ships might move a little less than big ships, but I certainly wouldn't use that as a criteria for selection of a cruise.

If you look over on the Alaska board you will see this asked almost daily. Answer: it doesn't matter! The scenery is 360 degrees, it is big picture scenery (you don't have to be in one magic spot to see things), the ship doesn't move that fast, and most importantly, you aren't locked in your cabin. You are out and about, all over the ship.

Again, reading on the Alaska board you will see HAL and Princess have 80 percent of the Glacier Bay permits. You do the math, that doesn't leave many for anyone else. They also have move ships there than any other line.

If sea sickness is a problem, you need to be prepared every day on a ship. If I tell you my experience is calm seas (which would be untrue), and by some fluke it's rough on your cruise, that doesn't do you any good right?

Big ships might move a little less than big ships, but I certainly wouldn't use that as a criteria for selection of a cruise.

THanks,

And, I will look at the Alaska board. I was just looking for some quick answers and I was tired.

A followup if you don't mind:

I am not sure what the implication of "permissions" in glacier bay is. Does that mean the other cruise ships (e.g., Celebrity) may not be able to enter the bay even though it is on their itinerary?

Larry

government limits the # of ships that can enter the bay. So being the government can do so capriciously.

Taking the politics out of the answer, to preserve the "park like" nature of the area, the Park Service allows 2 (IIRC) ships a day into Glacier Bay. These are the permits. HAL and Princess have 80% of these permits. Other cruise lines won't advertise they will sail Glacier Bay unless they have a permit.

I suppose the alternative would be to allow every ship in that demands admittance. Then it might be a traffic jam, and unsafe. Sort of like some of our public parks are now.